WCPedia Goal Reached!!

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
At 4:28 pm EST on March 27, my goal of doubling WCPedia's size by August 10, 2011 was achieved when the Atomic Chisel article was uploaded and saved.

This is a great achievement for the project. In the last 7 months we've added 1,100 articles as well as hundreds of images. A big thanks goes to LOAF who turned himself into a Privateer 2 machine and uploaded a huge amount of information.

There are still 5 months until the CIC's birthday in August. Our current goal should be to complete all Priv2 articles in that remaining time. I'm confident we can complete it with time to spare.

If you haven't checked out the latest uploads to WCPedia be sure to take a look!

Last edited by a moderator:
All P2 commodity articles are in now. Final count at end of business today...2,114!

Just need to add price/availability/news bulletin data and images to them and they are complete.

We have also been discussing having another IRC meeting to talk about future work on WCPedia. We are curious how many people would be interested in attending an IRC session if we scheduled one. Post and let us know if you would definitely attend an IRC meeting. Thanks!

I'm currently moving in a new house. Thus the earliest point on which i have time, would be the weekend after the following one.

None the less, congrats wcpedia team. :)

yeah, you guys are really kicking ass at this! Congratulations on making the goal and doing it this early in the year!

Congrats on this, the CIC is lucky and grateful...my hands are up, I've not contributed a jot. Too late to offer I guess, not that I have anything new to add. :)

Congrats on this, the CIC is lucky and grateful...my hands are up, I've not contributed a jot. Too late to offer I guess, not that I have anything new to add. :)

Too late to offer? Huh? Do you know something I don't? :p

We've still got 99% of the WC universe to upload. Privateer 2 is the closest to being done, followed by WC1. The remaining products and games haven't really been touched at all.

So there's tons to do. Jut a matter of saying where you'd like to help. :D

Funnily enough, I consult the WCpedia, almost daily and seldom find articles missing, but I guess I look mostly at the fighter stats...without sounding like an ungrateful moron, I didn't know there was so much to do - apologies if this sounded blahsay, and apologies for not knowing how to spell blahsay.

Anywhere I can help Dundradal, I will, thing is I've never worked on a Wiki style page before, now I took a look at the guidance page and that helped with the basics of editing, but without sounding too much like like the n00b that I am, what would you like done first? :)

Funnily enough, I consult the WCpedia, almost daily and seldom find articles missing, but I guess I look mostly at the fighter stats...without sounding like an ungrateful moron, I didn't know there was so much to do - apologies if this sounded blahsay, and apologies for not knowing how to spell blahsay.

Most of the ship articles are still at best 50% completed. They've got basic data but still a lot of stuff is missing. The P2 ship articles are the most along...I guess if you don't poke around the other areas you wouldn't notice a lot missing :p

Anywhere I can help Dundradal, I will, thing is I've never worked on a Wiki style page before, now I took a look at the guidance page and that helped with the basics of editing, but without sounding too much like like the n00b that I am, what would you like done first? :)

We are all still noobish with Wiki. I've been doing it the longest and I am still a plebe. The best way to get involved is to drop by #wingnut. We'll help you get started.

I'm getting an error when I try to create a new entry:

Code:
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "". Database returned error "145: Table './wcwikidb/searchindex' is marked as crashed and should be repaired (75.125.184.234)".

Okay, it looks like it's just a search issue. I was able to make a new page by editing an existing page and then adding a link to it.

I'm taking it you were trying to create the page by searching for it? (I usually do the second method you did...creating a link, previewing a page and then editing it).

Kris did just update the Wiki not too long ago. He'll have to check it out.

I've seen a couple of these errors across our various databases since upgrading to a newer version of MySQL. The table has been repaired. Please contact me directly or post to the feedback subforum if this problem occurs again.

Miles to Go

When Privateer was released on Good Old Games it caught all of us off-balance. For me personally, as a member of WCPedia, it was embarrassing: Privateer on sale again and our Privateer section fairly pathetic (the star systems and commodities in, but none of the bases or missions, and most of the ships missing - particularly, none of the player ships).

Well, that's changed a bit now. With the creation of the Galaxy article, we are now up to 2154 articles. Just 500 more to go before we reach Wing Commander I!

Forty new articles in three months might not sound very impressive, especially after the fit of creation at the start of the year - but that doesn't tell the whole story. Speaking for myself, what I've been focusing on these past few months is organizing what we already have - for instance, 726 articles, over a third of the total, are now tagged by Source, which means that if you want to know where something came from or where it appears, you can now do that. Ship types, fighter and capital ship classes are available for search as well. (A full list of properties can be found here).

Another thing I've been very proud of is the Historical Documents section. This started off as a one-off on my part when I decided to type up the prologue to Action Stations - but now you can read a fairly diverse number of pieces, ranging from the news extracts from said book to articles from the Confederation Handbook. The latest, a primer to the (pseudo)science behind space travel, can be found here.

Besides that, some minor work has been going on at the technical front. I've been trying to get infoboxes to look better and be easier to read - that's been only partially successful, mainly due to the way the software handles bullet points (it seems like an isolated case - I haven't noticed this problem at other wikis).

Still, while I won't (and can't) speak for the others, as one of the most recklessly prolific contributors to the Project I feel like I've personally been slacking off. So, no more: as soon as this hits the thread I'm going off and finishing the rest of the P2 articles we have material for. I've got a brand new laptop and Privateer 2 on my thumb drive; no more excuses here.

For those of you curious as to what Privateer articles are present, Category:Wing Commander: Privateer currently serves as something of a portal. Hopefully we can make it look nicer.

Finally, I apologize for quoting Robert Frost in the subject.

We <strike>Can Do</strike> Did it!

Check out https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Main_Page right now! The WCPedia has hit 2,634 entries - that's a startling 400 new articles in just over one and a half months!

Primary credit has to go to AD, who's been dumping Movie-related documents like the world hasn't ended two months ago, and Kris Vanhecke, who first decided to transform the project into the new archives hub and then almost single-handedly carried it out, creating over a hundred new pages in the space of a week. Truly, they are the Confederation's greatest heroes.

Back