WCPedia: Adding real world details to star system info

Iceblade

Admiral
I am wondering if anybody thinks it would be interesting/useful/allowed to add summaries of real details about the actual star systems that Wing Commander used.

For instance, Pollux is a red giant that was formally an A-type main sequence star. Currently the star produces the characteristic orange hue of K-type stars. Currently, only a single planet is known to exist. It is calculated to have a mass at least 2.3 times that of Jupiter likely making it a gas giant. It is orbiting Pollux with a period of about 590 days.

It might be good, but if any "real world" data contradicts canon WC-universe data, then the contradiction should be noted as well.

There would be only so much "real world" information that could be added - I mean, yes there's information available for Sol, Alpha Centauri, Wolf 359, Polaris, Vega, etc., but which star is supposed to be McAuliffe, or Niven, or Heaven's Gate, etc. Would you make that information up, or just leave it be for the fictional systems?

While it might be interesting, it detracts from what our goal has been: to create the ultimate WC resource.

There would be only so much "real world" information that could be added - I mean, yes there's information available for Sol, Alpha Centauri, Wolf 359, Polaris, Vega, etc., but which star is supposed to be McAuliffe, or Niven, or Heaven's Gate, etc. Would you make that information up, or just leave it be for the fictional systems?

It would only be for those systems that we know correspond like Pollux and Castor, and the information would just be what is known.

Dundradal said:
While it might be interesting, it detracts from what our goal has been: to create the ultimate WC resource.

So that is a definitive no to the idea?

So that is a definitive no to the idea?
I don't think Dund meant it that way. The info is interesting, but would definitely need differentiated from matieral actually in the games/books. At that point, you have to ask if the material is worth the effort to add when there's a ton of other actual WC sources that still need added and articles that need worked on.

Personally, if someone had all the info ready to go, I wouldn't object, but I wouldn't go through extra effort trying to dig up all kinds of extra material that in most instances won't be relevant beyond a footnote.

The intent of WCPedia is to be the source of WC information. If a planet is a red giant with a planet, I only "care" if that was mentioned in Wing Commander somewhere (and the Wing Commander source should be cited). That's not to say real life non-WC information is necessarily banned from the WCPedia, but I think it really only adds character in limited circumstances such as major places in the WC universe where the added context would enhance a WC-centric article.

There are so, so many opportunities to expand the WCPedia with Wing Commander information. We haven't even copied over all the basic ship information straight out from our old CIC Green ships database. If someone has any time to add to it, the real need is for actual Wing Commander information.

Would it also be possible to link Wikipedia articles of systems appearing in WC?

The question becomes "why?"

As AD and Chris pointed out, WCPedia is about Wing Commander. If I want to know about Sirius, I'll look it up in Wiki or whatever. I just don't think it what we should even be thinking about at this point. This stuff will just be buried at the bottom of the page anyways because the focus is on all things Wing Commander.

Back