WCP Multiplayer

-Scorp-

Spaceman
After several nights and being shut down every night, I want to play prophecy multiplayer with someone, and post here if you want to play, and a time that you're available to play.

I am able to play from 3:00PM-11:00PM EST on weeknights, Weekends at any time. Contact me thru a PM on irc.

-Scorp- said:
Contact me thru a PM on irc.

PMs are probably not a good way to organize this. Everyone should post the times they're available and when they plan to play. There's a lot of people who might show up and play if they see times, but a lot of them won't spend time coordinating events.

Fatcat said:
I'm available whenever I am on #Wingnut.

When will that be?

Well, After i find out who actually does play this, we can all decide on a reasonable time. I think 8PM EST. is a good time because if you're on the west coast its 5:00, and most people i know are home by then.

I usually am up for a game later. I don't usually play untill 10 or 11 PM PST though so if you're up for a game look for me a little later on #wingnut. If I don't answer I might have dozed off or be playing counterstrike so don't give up right away. It might take me a few minutes to notice you.

Hmm, I've been meaning to play a bit of multiplayer for quite a while now (last time I played was during the CIC birthday party). Do people who want to play multiplayer still meet up on #wcpmp, or do you just randomly ask people on #wingnut?

Quarto said:
Hmm, I've been meaning to play a bit of multiplayer for quite a while now (last time I played was during the CIC birthday party). Do people who want to play multiplayer still meet up on #wcpmp, or do you just randomly ask people on #wingnut?

Just #wingnut should be fine.

I looked for the file but I can't find it, where can I download the multiplayer add-on for secret ops, and does anyone know if there is a walk-through for connecting like Armada? I think I also remember seeing it was max 4 people, is that still the same?

also, if you want to play some, I am almost always on #wingnut, just say my name, and it should grab my attention, unless im watching TV or something.

-Scorp- said:
yes its still 4 people, and the MP patch link is

No, the patch currently allows up to 8 players. We've had 5 player games without much difficulty. But theoretically it could get laggy with 8. HCl hasn't finished refining the net code yet, thus why this is still considered a test release.

Dran said:
where can I download the multiplayer add-on for secret ops?

The patch only works with Prophecy at the moment. So you need the actual game. Someday HCl plans on also adding the code to secret ops.

AD said:
No, the patch currently allows up to 8 players. We've had 5 player games without much difficulty. But theoretically it could get laggy with 8. HCl hasn't finished refining the net code yet, thus why this is still considered a test release.

We have played with 5 and it was really fun. I was even on a dialup connection and it ran pretty good. Such games are pretty intense though, as missiles are zooming by left and right, I think a few people got downed by missiles not intended for them simply because there were so many zooming around.

Sounds fun.. I reordered my WCP disks, Until HCL can figure how to encorporate this into Secret Ops.

--- Prehaps a lame one but an idea anyway.

I was into BF2 for a bit, but it eventually wore dry. But one cool thing about it was that it tracked stats, and the more you played you went up in rank and eventually unlockweapons.

If HCL or another Programming Guru could figure it out it would be cool if we had an account that we logged into that tracked our stats, perhaps tied to our forum accounts, and as we went up in rank we could unlock better ships.

Dran said:
I was into BF2 for a bit, but it eventually wore dry. But one cool thing about it was that it tracked stats, and the more you played you went up in rank and eventually unlockweapons.

If HCL or another Programming Guru could figure it out it would be cool if we had an account that we logged into that tracked our stats, perhaps tied to our forum accounts, and as we went up in rank we could unlock better ships.

A future non-testing release of multiplayer Prophecy will have this. It won't change what's unlocked in the game.

-Scorp- said:
... make a shortcut to multiplayer.exe from the prophecy folder, and start in server/client mode, for client mode select your team and put in their IP.
Hm, do I need to add a commandline parameter? Or does it just crash because my PC doesn't like it? :confused:

There is no command line addition. You enabled Windows 95/98 compatibility, right?

MavS said:
Hm, do I need to add a commandline parameter? Or does it just crash because my PC doesn't like it? :confused:

After checking the compatability mode of multiplayer exe, you might want to look in your running processes. It will also crash if for some reason there is another instance of Multiplayer.exe still running in the background. If the game crashes for any reason, always check this (ctrl+alt+del and then click the processes tab). For some reason, if it crashed, it doesn't like to come out of memory and any future attempts to run the game while it's still there will fail.

Bear with HCl here, this is not the finished product. When the final version comes out, i'm expecting there to be recorded scores, capship combat, and insults (using the taunt switcher).

Fatcat said:
Bear with HCl here, this is not the finished product. When the final version comes out, i'm expecting there to be recorded scores, capship combat, and insults (using the taunt switcher).

The first time I played WCP MP during the bday party I was taunting people like crazy, it wasn't until afterwards when I think Quarto and HCl told me that in space no one can hear you taunt....

Back