WC4 Mod For Homeworld 2 In The Works (June 5, 2006)

my vaktoth and paktahn had an effect but not enough to save my fleet... that thing literally took like 2 seconds to annihilate a fralthiII with its dual ion cannon. Everything else died significantly faster
... ouch. Well, I suggest that you stay away from their biggest units and pummel them down with long-range anti-ship missiles and bombers. Right now, the Kilrathi ships are a bit nerfed in terms of damage resistance because of some weird shit happening with their hitboxes, but as soon as that can be solved, they'll be more resistant.

Have logged a number of hours with the mod, everything looks damn good! Just need to find a partner to do battle with now!

I've noticed the Confed AI appears to be a tad...slow. Seems like it loves to just pump out supply stations instead of units.

UBW comes off as the most aggressive.

OK, so to help me know what is going on exactly, I'll need you to launch the mod with the following command line (the launcher allows you to type some text on the bottom of the window). Type everything, including the dash:

-luatrace

OK. Now, launch the mod, get it to crash like a good bad bug, and then, go to the actual folder of the game. It should be something like \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\

Then, go to the Bin folder, then to the Release folder. You will see a file called HWRM.log. It can be opened via Notepad, and it will list most of what happened in the software.

It should start with something looking like:

Fri Jul 03 21:01:08 2015
Version 1.28, Build Number 10, Changelist Number 1057918
Loaded Archive: 'Homeworld2.big'
Loaded Archive: 'UpdateHomeworld2.big'
Loaded Archive: 'HW1Ships.big'
Loaded Archive: 'UpdateHW1Ships.big'
Loaded Archive: 'HW2Ships.big'
Loaded Archive: 'UpdateHW2Ships.big'
Loaded Archive: 'HWBackgrounds.big'
Loaded Archive: 'UpdateHWBackgrounds.big'
UTIL -- filepath failure, path doesn't exists 'D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\data\locale\English'
Loaded Archive: 'English.big'
Loaded Archive: 'UpdateEnglish.big'
Loaded Archive: 'Compatibility.big'
Loaded Archive: '76561197997863731\403171608\WC4FC_Remastered.big'
Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAWORKSHOPMODS\76561197997863731\403171608\English.big'

Can you copy/paste for me the last, like, 20 or 25 lines of this file? It will show me where the stuff crashed and I might be able to direct you to a solution.

Here it is thanks!

Sun Jul 05 18:56:03 2015
Version 1.28, Build Number 10, Changelist Number 1057918
Loaded Archive: 'Homeworld2.big'
Loaded Archive: 'UpdateHomeworld2.big'
Loaded Archive: 'HW1Ships.big'
Loaded Archive: 'UpdateHW1Ships.big'
Loaded Archive: 'HW2Ships.big'
Loaded Archive: 'UpdateHW2Ships.big'
Loaded Archive: 'HWBackgrounds.big'
Loaded Archive: 'UpdateHWBackgrounds.big'
UTIL -- filepath failure, path doesn't exists 'D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\data\locale\English'
Loaded Archive: 'English.big'
Loaded Archive: 'UpdateEnglish.big'
Loaded Archive: 'Compatibility.big'
Loaded Archive: '76561197972711332\403171608\WC4FC_Remastered.big'
Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAWORKSHOPMODS\76561197972711332\403171608\English.big'
Uing ..profiles\ for profiles folder
LUA 'data:LevelData\Multiplayer\DEATHMATCH.LUA' -- parameter: attempt to call global `GetGameSettingAsString' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
1: main of string "" at line 1
2: function `dofilepath' [C]
3: main of string "" at line 229
LUA 'data:LevelData\Multiplayer\DEATHMATCHHW1.LUA' -- parameter: attempt to call global `GetGameSettingAsString' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
3: main of string "" at line 203
LUA 'data:LevelData\Multiplayer\DEATHMATCHHW2.LUA' -- parameter: attempt to call global `GetGameSettingAsString' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
3: main of string "" at line 203
GAME -- Using player profile Whiff
Changing from a 32 bit colour depth in winNT (6.1 build 7601), Service Pack 1
Display: (0, 0, 2560, 1440) - (0, 0)
Switching to a 2560x1440 32bit mode
GL Info: 3.3 - 3.3.0 NVIDIA 353.06
GL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GL Renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
GL Part ID: 970
GL Part EX: /PCIe/SSE2
Loaded Archive: 'EnglishSpeech.big'
Loaded Archive: 'UpdateEnglishSpeech.big'
Loaded Archive: 'Music.big'
Loaded Archive: 'UpdateMusic.big'
LUA 'Data:Sound/root.lua' -- parameter: invalid control char;
last token read: `0x00' at line 1 in string ""
Unable to set sound root path, missing root.lua in Data:Sound -- FATAL EXIT -- soundmaninit/693:! --stack trace--
Restoring video mode
Display: (0, 0, 1920, 1080) - (0, 0)
Display: (0, 0, 1920, 1080) - (0, 0)
Display: (0, 0, 100, 100) - (11, 44)
Display: (0, 0, 100, 100) - (11, 44)

OK, so there isn't anything indicating a file problem. Someone on Steam had the same problem and apparently fixed it after resubscribing. Can you try that?

I had a similar issue when I first dled the mod not at my home pc, but I didn't do the resub method. I deleted the mods's big file inside the HW dir (not to be confused with the other workshop dl directory) and when I restarted the system rebuilt the mod and it worked fine.

Glad to read this! And remember: in the mod's description, there's a howto for setting multiplayer games. Give it a shot if you can find someone to play with, 'kay?

Glad to read this! And remember: in the mod's description, there's a howto for setting multiplayer games. Give it a shot if you can find someone to play with, 'kay?

I'm going to be around this weekend if anyone wants to give it a try! PM me or jump into #wingnut.

@L.I.F. , @Lunawolf242: Here she is, virtual hangar queen no longer. Vindicator #92109 "Slightly Dangerous", bearing her 147 Saberhawks livery off BWS Intrepid.
Vindicator_Final_01.png Vindicator_Final_04.png Vindicator_Final_05.png Vindicator_Final_07.png

There: https://shift.gearboxsoftware.com

Create an account and link it with your Steam one to get the multi to work.
Thank you for that.

Registered as WC-Whistler but it will be awhile before I'll feel ready or confident to face anyone online. Still, I can probably assist with the mod testing if need be.

I notoriously suck at RTS games.

Thank you for that.

Registered as WC-Whistler but it will be awhile before I'll feel ready or confident to face anyone online. Still, I can probably assist with the mod testing if need be.

I notoriously suck at RTS games.
I kinda suck too, but the idea is to recreate what you see in the books or in stuff like Wing Commander Saga. Everything complement the other units. Fighters to take out bombers and to have a screen, capital ships as the continuous firepower, bombers as a one-time punch, lighter ships as screen and support. It's definitely not optimized enough to make victory or defeat a matter of Korean-level micromanagement, so have fun!

And, anyway, as you saw, there are quite the updates in preparation, as well as as fixes to make, particularly with Kilrathi capships durability and hitboxes. Also, I'm waiting for Hoenix Interactive mod tools.

Back