WC3 on WINXP SP2, 100% working solution

Unregistered said:
-type wc-i and set up the sound accordingly"

In dosbox, when you are in the directory where wc3 is, instead of typing just WC3 and then enter to start the game type WC3 -i

That *should* take you into the installer so you can set up sound

However, YOu should have installed the DOS version of WC3 *IN* dosbox. Run the installer from within the program rather than clicking on it in windows and it should install fine as long as you mounted your cd-rom and harddrive right.

thank you very much, i will try that, i was using Defend last night so i did not get a lot of hands on with Dos Box, I will work on it tonight, thanks again very very much. I do appreciate your kind suggestions and help a lot.:)

AD,
I did get the installer to run in DOSBOX and it tested my system and I got sound,
which was exciting, and even the voice test went fine, video was fine, I adjusted the background color.

I chose the midi setting and also sound blaster 16 as people had instructed,
and when the set up was finished, i tried typing in WC3 but got a prompt on red saying:

"Wing Commander III could not start up your digital sound card. Please check the install settings etc."

I think i made a mistake in the SAVE directory as I entered a SAVE after the
WC3, and I may not have mounted my c: directory and hard drive correctly in DOS Box

I typed in:

mount c: c:\WC3\
and then c:
and then
WC3

I tried using defend and the game starts up fine but still no sound? Is there an obvious next step I can take?

I have an AMD 3300 system, XP PRO SP2, 400 GB Hard Drive, 1.5 GB RAM,
Audigy 2ZS snd card, GeForce 6600 Vid card with 256 RAM, 2.5~ghz system.

I am getting closer but havent made it yet.

I saw detailed info to enter into the DOSBOX config but am not sure how to do that yet, as I am just learning DOSBOX along with this all, any help most greatly appreciated.

Christopherger said:
AD,
I did get the installer to run in DOSBOX and it tested my system and I got sound,
which was exciting, and even the voice test went fine, video was fine, I adjusted the background color.

I chose the midi setting and also sound blaster 16 as people had instructed,
and when the set up was finished, i tried typing in WC3 but got a prompt on red saying:

"Wing Commander III could not start up your digital sound card. Please check the install settings etc."

I think i made a mistake in the SAVE directory as I entered a SAVE after the
WC3, and I may not have mounted my c: directory and hard drive correctly in DOS Box

I typed in:

mount c: c:\WC3\
and then c:
and then
WC3

I tried using defend and the game starts up fine but still no sound? Is there an obvious next step I can take?

I have an AMD 3300 system, XP PRO SP2, 400 GB Hard Drive, 1.5 GB RAM,
Audigy 2ZS snd card, GeForce 6600 Vid card with 256 RAM, 2.5~ghz system.

I am getting closer but havent made it yet.

I saw detailed info to enter into the DOSBOX config but am not sure how to do that yet, as I am just learning DOSBOX along with this all, any help most greatly appreciated.

Possibly the game actually installed in a subdirectory in c:wc3\ If you look in windows it may actually be in c:\wc3\wc3 so with you mounting c:\wc3 in dosbox you would still need to go up that extra level to run the game properly. That may not explain the sound entirely but its possible you forgot to save the correct sound settings in the installer

Thank you so much for keeping in touch with me on this, i will try that in the AM, i have two days off from work so I hope to be able to get this working. I have learned a lot about DOSBOX, Defend, VDM by figuring out how to get a number of other older games working, it takes some doing.

thanks agian, I will work on this in the AM
cheers.

Success at last!

I got the sound to work this AM by reloading the entire install, and doing the DOS BOX set up through Defend. It works great, the sound does stop once in a while for a second or two but it is great to finally hear the great soundtrack, I love it, it is very cinnematic and high quality.

I am looking forward very much to seeing this.

I do appreciate the help here very much.

I set the game up this thread has instructed and the game worked but was unable to play any movie scenes and the sound fx did not work either. Does anyone have any idea what this might be caused by. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I set the game up this thread has instructed and the game worked but was unable to play any movie scenes and the sound fx did not work either. Does anyone have any idea what this might be caused by. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

What version of WC3? Kilrathi Saga? What are your system specs? Also, if you were foolish enough to download a pirated copy, they often strip out the videos and other things to save space in the download. But otherwise, without any more details about the specific error and your system specs and exactly what steps you took to get it to run, then it's really hard to make any kind of diagnosis.

Thanks for the reply but to be more specific. It is the MS DOS version of Wing commander 3 so not Saga or a windows version. It is also not pirated. I have played this before on older operating machines eg Dos and the entire game ran without any difficulties.

My specs
Pentium 4 equiv, 2.00 GHz, 512 MB RAM using Windows XP home edition. I added my DxDiag if that is of any help.

The movie scenes only work for about 1 second before it stops and needs to be skipped. That goes for every movie scene. Sound fx does also not play either. I managed to get to a losing scene of CD 3 and 4 and the movie scenes do not work either. To me that seems to suggest that it may not be a problem with a damaged or faulty CD.

If theres anything else I have left out let me know.

Thankyou very much.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    37.7 KB · Views: 251
Thanks for the reply but to be more specific. It is the MS DOS version of Wing commander 3 so not Saga or a windows version. It is also not pirated. I have played this before on older operating machines eg Dos and the entire game ran without any difficulties.

My specs
Pentium 4 equiv, 2.00 GHz, 512 MB RAM using Windows XP home edition. I added my DxDiag if that is of any help...

Some dos programs just don't work quite right in XP because the drivers needed are incompatible.
Your best bet might actually be to use Dosbox. If you didnt set up the sound correctly it won't play movies. Don't forget that dosbox defaults to IRQ 7. Theres also the VFDsound program (i think that's how you spell it) that might do the trick.

Does this only work with the DOS version? I have the Kilrathi Saga win95 dics that wont run under XP, or 98 running in as VM.

Does this only work with the DOS version? I have the Kilrathi Saga win95 dics that wont run under XP, or 98 running in as VM.

Kilrathi saga won't run in dosbox. Have you tried setting the compatability mode in XP?

Wierd Sound problem

First off thanks for the info, Wc3 runs fine except for this one minor sound problem. You see while i was playing the game i heard this wierd clicking sound in the background. Otheir than that the game runs fine; no stabillity issues so far. However the clicking sound is real annoying and is keeping me from playing. Anyways thanks for the help and thanks for the info.

First off thanks for the info, Wc3 runs fine except for this one minor sound problem. You see while i was playing the game i heard this wierd clicking sound in the background. Otheir than that the game runs fine; no stabillity issues so far. However the clicking sound is real annoying and is keeping me from playing. Anyways thanks for the help and thanks for the info.

Have you tried adjusting the sound hardware acceleration settings in windows? Go to Control Panel and then Sound and audio devices properties and then to the "advanced audio properties" panel. There should be a slider on the Performance tab. Adjusting it down (or up if it's already down) might help.

Sound Issues as well

I tried lowering my sound performance and I still have the same sound issues as before.

Thanks for the quick answer, and yes i did lower the hardware acceleration setting.However im still having the same problem. It might have something to do with the VDMS sound emulator. I'll go check the vdms forums and see what i can find out.

P.S i have a Sound Blaster audigy 4

Thanks for the quick answer, and yes i did lower the hardware acceleration setting.However im still having the same problem. It might have something to do with the VDMS sound emulator. I'll go check the vdms forums and see what i can find out.

P.S i have a Sound Blaster audigy 4

You shouldn't need VDMS with the kilrathi Saga version. In fact, if it's running at the same time, it might be making the problem.

Have you tried running the kilrathi saga version without VDMS on?

Thanks for the help. However the game is completely unplayable without vdms my cd speed is just too fast and the Fx sounds like crap worse than before. i have tired lowering my disc speed to 4X ,but still no luck. i beleve i could run the game without vdms; If i had a no cd crack. otherwise i will have to use vdms and just deal with the poping sound.

Back