WC3 in DOSBox, Digital FX problem

Ilanin

Captain
Situation:
I am running the original retail WC3 (I guess I could switch to the GoG version if I had to) in ykhwong's Munt-enabled svn DOSBox build. The MT-32 itself works fine; the music and speech play with no problem at all. But gunfire (I think specifically Kilrathi gunfire, since firing my own blasters doesn't seem to cause a problem) produce a lot of crackling and popping.

I've got the Digital FX set to Soundblaster 16 with the same IRQ/DMA settings that DOSBox reports having, so that shouldn't be the problem. It occurs both when I'm recording video and when I'm not. I'm running on core=dynamic and cycles=50000, and I'm not exactly running low on CPU power because according to Task Manager dosbox_release.exe never gets much above 5% CPU usage (and no, I am not on a 20-core system).

Any ideas?

Right, nailed this down a bit further. Well...a lot further.

What DOSBox is struggling with (and it does happen in the GoG version too, at least for me), is the Meson Gun sound effect. I mostly fly Arrows and Excaliburs and didn't notice it as much, but test-firing a Thunderbolt's guns shows it up very clearly - photons and plasma are fine, mesons are crackly. This explains why I first noticed it in Tamayo 2, where four Vaktoths collide with two Thunderbolts. That's a lot of mesons.

I'm not sure if that helps any, but if someone is still hacking away at WC3, any chance you can tell me how to change the Meson Gun sound?

You sure it's not your speakers/computer? I remember that for my old laptop, the speakers would crackle and pop with almost anything. Then I set Windows' master volume to 50% and turned up the actual speaker volume to compensate. You should try this, it's likely that the game's just peaking and this would help fix it.

Back