WC3 Hobbes turret

Madman

Vice Admiral
I've just been watching the WC3 movie and i noticed something strange, if you chase after hobbes when he escapes and is in the thunderbolt - he has a turret that fires at you.

my question is this

WHO IS IN THE TURRET?

i mean seriously its not like he took a human with him!

I'm fairly sure this is mentioned in one of the novels, but as happens in some of the games, fighter turrets can also be computer controlled, so in such a scenario Hobbes would have set his rear turret to AI targeting.

Cheers,

Bryn

Jazz's evil twin?

Thought controlled turret pioneered by late 20th century Russian technology?

Hat switch on joystick?

In WC4N Pliers says that because they can't find a gunner to spare, Blair's T-bolt is rigged with an auto-gunner, but with the note that the automated gunner sucks, compared to a manned turret.

There's a bit about Gunderson, Plier's Lexington equivalent, doing that earlier in the novel. Pliers might have also made a comment later on. Of particular note here, this is on a Thunderbolt like mentioned in the original post.

A Thunderbolt stood waiting to one side of the ready lift, its cockpit open, and its launch cradle oriented on the magnetic tracks that led to the launch tube. He sprinted for the heavy fighter, scrambled up the retractable ladder and jumped in. Gunderson helped snap him into his harness and plug him into his com panel.

Blair glanced around at the cockpit and saw that everything had already been pre-flighted for him. He looked up at the master chief, uncertain how to express his thanks. Gunderson cut him off. "It's okay, sir, just be careful out there." He looked quickly around. "Watch your back, sir. There wasn't time to scrounge up a tail gunner, so'll you'll have make due with automatics."

Chernikov said:
Jazz's evil twin?

Thought controlled turret pioneered by late 20th century Russian technology?

Hat switch on joystick?

That got me thinking, did the Society of Mandarins continue on after the destruction of Ayer's Rock?

But it's likely that Hobbes set his turret for Auto.

It's not mentioned again I think, with their base destroyed it and members killed or captured would be hard for them to continue their plans..

They're still around in 2669.

We had another terrorist bombing today. I tell you, it’s those blasted Mandarins if it’s anyone! This war started out to be good business… but if the bombings get much worse, the only profit’ll be had by Russo Incorporated… maker of fine red ink everywhere!

Madman said:
I've just been watching the WC3 movie and i noticed something strange, if you chase after hobbes when he escapes and is in the thunderbolt - he has a turret that fires at you.

my question is this

WHO IS IN THE TURRET?

i mean seriously its not like he took a human with him!

Yeah, I always took it that AI was fully "manning" the rear guns in WC3 time.

Tigerhawk said:
Yeah, I always took it that AI was fully "manning" the rear guns in WC3 time.

There are still gun crews in this era -- the WCIV novel mentions them.

Bandit LOAF said:
There are still gun crews in this era -- the WCIV novel mentions them.

Man, I really need to pull out my novelizations and reread them. 'Course, it's been ten years, give or take a couple, since I've read them, so I could do with some refreshing.

Back