WC1 with Win XP

Redtic

Rear Admiral
I am attempting to install WC1 with DosBox 0.72 using the instructions layed out in the tech support section.
After mounting the necessary drives I run install.exe but all it it tells me is to "Please insert your copy of Wing Commander Disk 1 in drive D: Press any key to continue" and won't let me go any further.
Any help on this would be appreciated.

This is a CD? I recommend copying it to your harddrive before installing.

This is a CD? I recommend copying it to your harddrive before installing.

Wing Commander Tech Support said:
8. Select MCGA/VGA 320x200, 256 colors for your graphics option.
9. Select Creative Labs Sound Blaster for your sound option
10. Select Y to indicate the current configuration is correct.
11. The game will install. You will have to switch disks for floppy installations. The installer may spend several minutes unpacking graphic archives.

Okay, now I get as far as Step 11 before I get the same message.

Okay, now I get as far as Step 11 before I get the same message.

I assume by your non-answer that it is the CD. Hence the installation error when asking for the disk. I don't suppose you read to the end of the tech support page for WC1?

Important Note: If you are attempting to install the game from a CD and the installation menu prompts for a floppy disk, perform a manual installation. Locate the game's folder on the CD and copy it to the desired hard drive location (including the gamedat subdirectory). Then open a new file in Notepad with the text V A904 Z written on the first line. Save this file to the hard drive folder where you copied the game as WINGCMDR.CFG Double check that the newly created file ends in .cfg and not .txt.

Ok, problem solved.
Now I have a COMPLETELY different issue.
I can't seem to locate ANY of the Secret Mission files on my Wing Commander "Deluxe" CD aside from SM2.

Come again? Could you explain that a bit closer? What is it that you have and what is it that you think you are missing?

Okay I recently purchased a copy of Wing Commander Deluxe Edition (1993), said to have both Secret Missions 1 and 2.
But aside from the exe for SM2, I'm unable to find any of the other files I need for installation, according to the tech support section, anywhere on the CD.
And I fear I may have gotten "hosed", as they say, with this particular purchase.

bgwc12so12.jpg

maybe you did, your CD should look like this

Wow, mine looks NOTHING like that.
I open the CD, I have an Origin folder and an Origin.bat.
I open the folder and there's a WC folder, CDGAMES.exe, COPYRIT.exe, T.exe, CDGAMES.pac, and VERSION.lst.
I open WC and I get the GAMEDAT folder, INSTALL.exe, SM2.exe, TRANS2.exe, TRANSFER.exe, and WC.exe.
And that's about it.
Not sure what to make of ANY of that.

Ok, that CD looks strange. I guess a whole lot of data should is packed in "CDGAMES.pac". Does the CD install anything to the harddisk. If so I'd hope that this local installation looks somewhat like what Michelle D posted.
In any case I'd try starting SM2.exe and see if you get a functional game. SM1 does not have its own executable, instead it is integrated into the normal WC via a menu appearing at the start of the game.

Let's see...
SM2 work pretty well, aside from having no sound or music.
I run the CDGAMES.exe and it tells me to run it from the ORIGIN.bat which tells me, "The DOS utilities (APPEND.exe, SUBST.exe, JOIN.exe) could not be found. To correct this problem you must locate your DOS disks. ORIGIN CD Game Pack will install what it needs from them on the Data Disk, or you can exit ORIGIN CD Game Pack and install the DOS utilities yourself."
And then it goes on to ask me, "Do you have the DOS disk(s) ready? (Y/N)"

In your install folder, see if you have crusade.cfg. You can manually set up the sound info in it there. Try adding v a904 z to the file if you have irq 7 in your dosbox setup.

In your install folder, see if you have crusade.cfg. You can manually set up the sound info in it there. Try adding v a904 z to the file if you have irq 7 in your dosbox setup.

Nope, no such luck.
No install folder, no crusade.cfg.

Although I'm almost certain I have to do SOMETHING with the CDGAMES.exe, but can't, for the life of me, figure out what.

What's written within Origin.bat? If you can't do a hard drive installation, you'll never get sound here. Somehow what you have needs to be decompressed and dumped off the CD. It must be happening already in some form indirectly if you're able to get the game to run at all.

What's written within Origin.bat? If you can't do a hard drive installation, you'll never get sound here. Somehow what you have needs to be decompressed and dumped off the CD. It must be happening already in some form indirectly if you're able to get the game to run at all.

Within Origin.bat?

@echo off
if not exist %0\cdgames.exe goto default
%0\cdgames PROPER %1
goto postcdgp
:default
if not exist \origin\cdgames.exe echo Please run ORIGIN from the CD-ROM drive
:direct
if not exist \origin\cdgames.exe goto exit
\origin\cdgames PROPER %1
:postcdgp
if errorlevel 4 goto spawned
if errorlevel 3 goto error
if errorlevel 2 goto tasked
if errorlevel 1 goto exit
:spawned
pause
goto direct
:tasked
if not exist task.bat echo ERROR -- Unable to establish current task
if not exist task.bat goto exit
call task
goto direct
:error
echo Fatal Error
pause
:exit
cd \

Not sure if that helps at all.

I guess I'm not sure exactly what it is you've done and what files you have on your hard drive where. Did you run Origin.bat? Did you run any installer? You said you had no install folder, but you also said you copied things over it seems, so that's your install folder. Are there any .cfg files there? Just make crusade.cfg in the folder where sm2.exe is located.

I guess I'm getting confused about what it is you have and haven't done and what files you have on your hard drive where. Did you run Origin.bat? Did you run any installer? You said you had no install folder, but you also said you copied things over it seems, so that's your install folder. Are there any .cfg files there? Just make crusade.cfg in the folder where sm2.exe is located.

Basically what I've done is copy the contents of the WC folder on the CD (GAMEDAT, INSTALL.EXE, SM2.EXE, TRANS2.EXE, TRANSFER.EXE, and WC.EXE) to my hard drive (c:\WC) and I've been been running the game from there.

I haven't completed any significant portion of the game, I am simply making sure my copy of the game I purchased off of ebay was on the up and up before I left any feedback.

What should the crusade.cfg look like when I create it?

Back