WC Workshop Online

Lol it was smart making it a web application. Now it's in the running for both best fan project and fan site! :)
Shamed be he, who thinks evil of it :)

Well, it was probably not so smart because now, votes will be split between those two.

I, personally, regard it as an application that runs in the browser.
So "project" would be more fitting.
But, on the other hand, when only used as a source of information about the structure and contents of the game, it's also valid to be considered a website.

In a nutshell:
As this really isn't about me but about the community, I guess it's fine to be running for both, as that's what the community wants :)

Short update notice:
prototyping the first alternative UI framework complete.
Unfortunately, not satisfied.

Question for y'all real quick: have y'all discovered where they kept the taunt messages in WC1 yet? I'm looking for a list of those and haven't come across one yet. The only one I remember off-hand is "You fight like a stillborn kitten"; I know y'all did some stuff with messages not too long ago and I figured that might be helpful.

Question for y'all real quick: have y'all discovered where they kept the taunt messages in WC1 yet? I'm looking for a list of those and haven't come across one yet. The only one I remember off-hand is "You fight like a stillborn kitten"; I know y'all did some stuff with messages not too long ago and I figured that might be helpful.

All comm messages are in the .exe file of WC1.

Code:
Die furball!
Slag off!
Bite it cat face.

SM2.EXE holds the following taunts:
Code:
Here, kitty kitty!
Get fixed, furball!
Eat this, cat face!

I did not find "You fight like a stillborn kitten".
Maybe that's from WC2?

Strange thing is, I wasn't able to find the Kilrathi taunts in the .exe file.
One would think, all taunts are stored at the same location...

First, please sign up.
That's necessary so I can provide you with your private workspace without interfering with the workspaces of others.
This is also very basic.
Just fill some fields and go.

I'd recommend a way to bypass the signup and view the site without an account. Clearly this isn't an issue for the early adopters in this thread who are using this every day, but requiring an account - no matter how simple/easy - is going to turn off a lot of potential newcomers in the future.

I'd do something like create a read-only workspace for people without accounts and just put a big warning on top saying that you can't actually save anything until you make an account.

I'd do something like create a read-only workspace for people without accounts and just put a big warning on top saying that you can't actually save anything until you make an account.

Yes, I think I'll try that.
Sounds good.

Thanks

Hi folks.

unfortunately, I have to tell you that I won't be able to continue working on the workshop for some time.
It turned out during the last month that what I thought to be my perfect private life was not so perfect at all.
So I will have to take care of that now.

For better or for worse, I hope to get back to working on the workshop again.
Nothing of my efforts should be lost however, everything is available at GitHub here https://github.com/delMar43/wcworkshop.

Thanks for being such a great community.

Hope to be back soon

Best
delMar

Hi delMar,

I keep watching that video and wondering what could have become of all this. I hope things are going better for you - obviously your private life has to be paramount, but just thought I'd ask if there's any chance of your project taking off again? Completely understand if not.

Hope you're well, Smarty Pants!

Hey, guys!

Thanks for the kind words.
This is wcnews, not delMarNews, so I guess we'll stick to the game :)

I admit that I myself have thought several times about going back to the project and it's definitely not off of the list.
But I guess taking a step back and having a look at it from the distance was a good thing.
Besides motivation, there's some technical issues.
First, WC1 may be moddable to a certain extent, but there are limits.
The cutscenes between the series are hard-coded into the .exe file, just to name an example (in non-technical terms: that sucks).

From a story-telling perspective, there's also quite some limitations:
there's Shotglass, there's two characters in the bar and there's the briefing and the debriefing.
Compared to that, WC2 offers much more:
  • cutscenes are not inside the .exe file
  • a dedicated story-line view, making it possible to have multiple scenes
  • cutscenes in-between missions (hell, I nearly freaked out 20 years ago when I first saw that in-flight conversation between Bluehair and the Concordia and then landing there)
  • probably some other things that have evolved from being hard-coded inside the .exe
So, if I returned to the project, I'd probably move over to WC2, as for me, WC has always been about great storytelling and WC2 is much closer to that than WC1, naturally.

Then, for me there's still Privateer. Although it's not as "cinematic" as WC1 and 2, it's the third "classic" Wing Commander game. (Academy and Armada do not really count for me, they have not been about storytelling in any respect.), it still was a great game. But I don't think there were any in-flight cinematics, right? So, I'll probably never come to this one.

What do you guys think? What's the game you would love to do a mod most?

So, to come back to your question: yes, there is a chance of the project taking off again.
However, I can't and won't promise anything.
And, there would be some adjustments to give the project a more realistic scope.
I'd really focus on what you guys think makes sense. What use is a modding tool that's not really used, after all...

Anyway, thanks for poking me. I'd be glad to hear some of your thoughts.

Last edited:
Hey, guys!

Thanks for the kind words.
This is wcnews, not delMarNews, so I guess we'll stick to the game :)

I admit that I myself have thought several times about going back to the project and it's definitely not off of the list.
But I guess taking a step back and having a look at it from the distance was a good thing.
Besides motivation, there's some technical issues.
First, WC1 may be moddable to a certain extent, but there are limits.
The cutscenes between the series are hard-coded into the .exe file, just to name an example (in non-technical terms: that sucks).

From a story-telling perspective, there's also quite some limitations:
there's Shotglass, there's two characters in the bar and there's the briefing and the debriefing.
Compared to that, WC2 offers much more:
  • cutscenes are not inside the .exe file
  • a dedicated story-line view, making it possible to have multiple scenes
  • cutscenes in-between missions (hell, I nearly freaked out 20 years ago when I first saw that in-flight conversation between Bluehair and the Concordia and then landing there)
  • probably some other things that have evolved from being hard-coded inside the .exe
So, if I returned to the project, I'd probably move over to WC2, as for me, WC has always been about great storytelling and WC2 is much closer to that than WC1, naturally.

Then, for me there's still Privateer. Although it's not as "cinematic" as WC1 and 2, it's the third "classic" Wing Commander game. (Academy and Armada do not really count for me, they have not been about storytelling in any respect.), it still was a great game. But I don't think there were any in-flight cinematics, right? So, I'll probably never come to this one.

What do you guys think? What's the game you would love to do a mod most?

So, to come back to your question: yes, there is a chance of the project taking off again.
However, I can't and won't promise anything.
And, there would be some adjustments to give the project a more realistic scope.
I'd really focus on what you guys think makes sense. What use is a modding tool that's not really used, after all...

Anyway, thanks for poking me. I'd be glad to hear some of your thoughts.

No pressure man, we all have busy lives outside of this place.

I'd agree that WC2 offers much more scope from a storytelling perspective, I guess the question is - what would you like to do with it?

I don't know how possible it is, but I've always envisaged a PC mod of 'Secret Missions 1.5' which was released for the 3do but never made it to the PC. As you'll be aware, it follows the destruction of the Sivar and has the Tiger's Claw venture into Kilrathi space. All the 'canon' dialogue is ready and waiting, so Shotglass + two pilots would be perfect. I don't know where you'd find the dialogue script though.

SM 1.5 would be a great goal for a first shot. More campaigns coming up after that would also have been a good thing nonetheless...

Welcome Back delMar! :D
I'm glad -danr- posted as I had been wanting to post and see if you were willing to come back and work on your project again. There is lots of potential with what you've done and where it is going.
I too hope everything is well on the home-front.

As to the direction, I can see how WC2 has greater potential but you have done so much on WC1 already that I think finishing it would give you better insight into WC2 when you next started working on it.
I think first finishing off the WC save game editor would be a good start. Then working toward SM 1.5 is a great idea using the SM2 engine. This may eventually lead to redoing WC1 in the SM2 engine. Also I believe HCl mentioned that the SM2 engine supports more ships angles then are currently in the ship files so updating them would would add greater detail to the game.

I think I have the text Loaf posted on a single play through of SM1.5. This would not allow for much branching. If someone has/can ripp the text from the code like what was done with WC Pc games I can begin flow charting it like I have all the other WC games.

Also Chartbuster #16 had an unofficial addon of 48 mission for Wing Commander. Did anyone ever get this to work? If so HOW???
Among other thing it included a save game editor. I believe I sent it to you with the other files I sent you, delMar.

Back