WC Saga Concept Music Available

Tolwyn

Vice Admiral
WC Saga Concept Music Available

Our fans may remember the concept track, that was made available some time ago. Now, one and a half year after, I have decided to uploaded only a short clip of the demo which our composer has been working on to give you an indication as to the quality of sound and so on . It is based on a theme from WC4, (which you can hear starting at the end of the WC4 intro music btw). Its not note for note "exactly" the same (if you want to be picky), but then its wasnt supposed to be. Our composer is working on the big opening tune, this is just a teaser and it will also sound better than this as this is a rough recording with his current gear.

Download it today :)

Download

Wow.... It really has the WC -feel to it... is this an impression for the quality of the in game mission music as well? It's brilliant! BTW... is there a real Deadline for SAGA? (and don't say somewhere before 2010)

It sounds very good. I'd very much like to know what his setup for rendering the music is - it sounds very real and is something that I as a composer would like to know to try to make my music sound better without an orchestra playing.

I look foward to hearing more music as it becomes available. It's difficult to comment on such a short snip.

Very nice

I love this music. It is very reminiscent of Star Trek III, and I believe that you are working some magic up. :D Do you know how many individual pieces you are going to have?

Very professional. My admiration (imagine, an admiration of a Malar!).
Oldziey would be proud of your work!
I can even play it as loop without stucking. :)

Wow, this is pretty unexpected. I didnt expect to see this on the CIC!

Thanks a lot for the compliments! Just to be clear though, I had nothing to do with the old "concept track" Tolwyn mentioned. Also I dont know what Tolwyn's plans are with release dates, so my "contribution" may come too late. So the amount of original music that is in the release is very uncertian at this time, although personally I would love for SAGA to have an all-original score Whatever happens though I will put the finished demo track on here when its done.

Needaham45 etc, what sort of thing would you like to know?

Ed

Well, I'm responsible for the music for UE and Standoff and I've always felt the music was suffering because I couldn't render it well. You've clearly got that bit down, so I was wondering what your setup was in terms of what you use and how you convert your writing into the audio track? I'm assuming you started with a MIDI or score file of somesort, and I'm curious as to what sound sets/sound banks/sound modules/synthesizers you use to convert your writing into the audio that we hear.

Wonderfull sound quality, but the music its self, I mean I recognise the piece its based upon but the original sounded better. Could you post a completley original piece? That would be easier to judge: I wouldn't be comparing it and would be able to judge it on its own merits.

Needaham45 said:
Well, I'm responsible for the music for UE and Standoff and I've always felt the music was suffering because I couldn't render it well. You've clearly got that bit down, so I was wondering what your setup was in terms of what you use and how you convert your writing into the audio track? I'm assuming you started with a MIDI or score file of somesort, and I'm curious as to what sound sets/sound banks/sound modules/synthesizers you use to convert your writing into the audio that we hear.

Well Im in the process of upgrading my studio, but to produce the clip here I used GigaStudio 96, Cubase SX and a Korg Trition Pro (as a controller). I have been investing in sample libraries for over 4 years now, and I mix lots of them. On that particular clip I used SAM Solo Brass, a roland string patch, Symphony Of Voices, Prosonus Orchestra Collection, a bell tree sound from EWQLSO Silver, some old Synclavier samples and some free samples from ProjectSAM. I play in the note data in with the Triton, then I go in and edit it and clean it up, add expression data and so on. This is better than "drawing" it in as it sounds more live. Rendering it to audio is the easy part, what you are hearing is straight out of the sequencer. Does that help?

Pedro: you'll have to wait :) I only sent this to Tolwyn because he would recognise this bit. It wasnt meant to be a complete rip, just a nod towards the old themes. You can hear the original bit just starting at the end.

Ed

Edx said:
Well Im in the process of upgrading my studio, but to produce the clip here I used GigaStudio 96, Cubase SX and a Korg Trition Pro (as a controller). I have been investing in sample libraries for over 4 years now, and I mix lots of them. On that particular clip I used SAM Solo Brass, a roland string patch, Symphony Of Voices, Prosonus Orchestra Collection, a bell tree sound from EWQLSO Silver, some old Synclavier samples and some free samples from ProjectSAM. I play in the note data in with the Triton, then I go in and edit it and clean it up, add expression data and so on. This is better than "drawing" it in as it sounds more live. Rendering it to audio is the easy part, what you are hearing is straight out of the sequencer. Does that help?
Ed

That must be rather expensive. What do you do with all of that when you're not making music for Wing Commander fan projects?

We almost bought a Korg Triton Pro a year ago. I think it was like $1200 or $1500 at the time. The guy demonstrated it to us and I got to try it out. Wonderful piece of equipment there, but out of our price range.

Impressive setup - sounds great. I just wish I could afford it :(

I'm thinking about getting a Korg Triton. I've been using a Korg X5D for a while and I love it, so the triton would be logical. I'm also considering getting a few software sets - Kontakt Player Gold seems pretty good and is a natural choice as it works in conjunction with Sibelius nicely. I was also considering Garritan Personal Orchestra. Do you have any suggestions as to any few sound sets that will sound very good and real all around in terms of orchestral music for a poor college kid in a music department with a ton of reed expenses?

Pedro said:
Wonderfull sound quality, but the music its self, I mean I recognise the piece its based upon but the original sounded better. Could you post a completley original piece? That would be easier to judge: I wouldn't be comparing it and would be able to judge it on its own merits.

If you listen closely, the theme changes at the end, to indicate that the song doesn't stay that calm.

Tolwyn is quite amazing sometimes, nothing for weeks and then he pulls a professional composer out of the thin air and things like that. :D

Needaham45 said:
Do you have any suggestions as to any few sound sets that will sound very good and real all around in terms of orchestral music for a poor college kid in a music department with a ton of reed expenses?

Hi Needaham,

Most of the acoustic sounds in the Triton arent that great by todays standards, mostly because they had to be crammed into such a small RAM size, but it still has some cool features that make it worth having around (imo); its pads and modern synth stuff are still excellent. If you feel you really must have it, I suggest getting the rack module.

Kontakt is great, but its a real power hungry program. With dance stuff its excellent but, as with any sampler, doing big orchestra stuff will really stress your computers resources. I reccomend Gigastudio 3, but its a little buggy at the moment and your computer really has to "like" it - (it really didnt like my current PC). It comes with tons of samples though, and in the full version you even get a full set of orchestra samples cut from the Vienna Symphonic Orchestra library. Although it will be at least 2 weeks before I get to try them out. www.tascamgiga.com). You can get the acedemic full "orchestra" version of Giga3 for a highly reduced £199 from Et Cetera music (http://www.etcetera.co.uk/) in the UK, dont know about the US.

Garritan is a good choice as long as you arent thinking of really upgrading and developing a studio very soon (imo), in that it doesnt require a super PC. If you are however, there are probably better investments. Check out the educational discounts at East West
(http://www.soundsonline.com/educational.shtml) where you can get 50% off lots of things (always remember the system requirements!). I believe there is a Garritan educational discount too.

You know its a tricky piece of advice to give, as depending on the circumstances, needs and budget its worth going in different directions. :confused:

Ed

Back