WC RPG ideas

WCblitz

Captain
Hi,
I am tinkering with the idea of making a WC RPG, And was wondering what To use to make it with.

Which of theses do you have and or like, as this is what I have to work with.

1.Half-life 2 (would look great but I don't really know where to begin I mean I made a few maps for the old Doom 1 but I've tried to use the editor with that came with hl2 and so far can't make anything with it) There is a nice mod called Eternal Silence where you do a deathmatch in a space carrier and even get to fly a fighter in it. So a WC style game is possable.

2.Never Winter nights 1 (made a few things with it already)

3.Dungeon Craft is an RPG and editor that mimics SSI's Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (FRUA).(old D&D gold box game style) type software like what I made my Contest entry(back in Aug 2007) in.(looks old school but its free and can use video with it)
http://uaf.sourceforge.net/

4.Something with RPG maker (looks like SNES RPG)
5.Something else let me know as long as its free or close.

Blitz

Dungeon craft and Never Winter Nights are probably your best bets

although if you stick with DC, then it won't need to rely on everyone already owning NWN

I would prefer it if you do it with something that is a standalone.

If you can do a NWN thing a standalone then great.

You could also help out Chicken with his RPG maker 2000 WC RPG

Wc Rpg

Well, I know D Craft the best the video options and the ease of creating new walls(well fairly easy compared to other software).

Tho at this time using it for a non sword/magic game is a little difcult as I have not seen any patches to add guns and or future tech items to it. I just d/l the d20 modern hack/mod for NWN and tho I have not got it to work as yet(I loaded a map for example and tho the sounds and such worked fine the map still looked medieval even tho I chose a space station wall texture.I even added a Paladin just as a test (the Guy from WC not the Paladin class) NPC all ready but I made little booboo with the setup and he atks the PC on sight...(opps)....

Software aside I have a basic plot already, the main Players will be Blair and Maniac go on Leave (takes place while there still on the Tiger's Claw) and lets just say they might have been better off to skip this vacation.

If you have any ideas for some encouters or thoughts as to where in the WCU they might go on Leave let me know.

Blitz

You could try a text based RPG. :D Just think of the possibilities.

Before you an epic battle is taking place involving thousands of fighters, each with their own unique design. It easily surpasses the epic-ness of Standoff, the coolness of Unknown Enemy, the cuteness of A Perfect Plan, the skill of Flight Commander, and the popularity of Ranger's Glory.

A rouge hellcat appears.

: Attack hellcat

You damage the rouge hellcat for four points.

Which of theses do you have and or like, as this is what I have to work with.

You should probably go with the one that's easiest to mod and enjoy the most. Chances are that any given project won't ever get very far, so there's no need to handicap yourself by picking a game that's difficult to work with or that you're not extremely interested in.

If you are, perchance, skilled at all with writing software (C++ preferably, though I won't judge if you use Java -wink-), you might want to look into writing your own software to do it... then you have something that's reusable and you know exactly how to use it.

It is rather time-consuming though, and many-a-people (myself included) walk down that path not knowing what to expect and then end up with many incomplete projects.

I don't really know of any 'make a game button' engines for this... though an alternative to what I suggested is a game engine like Torque where the Engine itself is already written, and all you have left is to write the game code.

If you are, perchance, skilled at all with writing software (C++ preferably, though I won't judge if you use Java -wink-), you might want to look into writing your own software to do it... then you have something that's reusable and you know exactly how to use it.

It is rather time-consuming though, and many-a-people (myself included) walk down that path not knowing what to expect and then end up with many incomplete projects.

I don't really know of any 'make a game button' engines for this... though an alternative to what I suggested is a game engine like Torque where the Engine itself is already written, and all you have left is to write the game code.
Hmm, well as far as coding or as what I of the older set used to call programing,
last time I did any was in Basica (Thats a free basic lang that came with early PCs) where I wrote a pick the street game where difrent things happened as you tried to claim a winning lottery ticket. Stuff like dogs atk you and other nasty things along the way..fairly simple only about 125 lines if I recall.

I've tried to use more advanced things like the Hammer Engine in Half-life 2 but
even tho I understand the concept of 3d, I can't seem to make even the simplest cube/room yet.

I really like Dcraft as its fairly simple and quick to use, you actually move in the "3d"(well if you use your imagination) and you just pick wall tiles/doors etc and you see it the way the player will as you do it, there is even some new high resolution wall sets out there 32bit color etc so as to make it look a little more modern.(tho the combat sprites still look a tad 8-bit), I love the ease that you can add video cut scene as well as audio clips when every you want.

the tricky thing is as far as I know the only weapons in the system are swords/bows/magic etc.

If I could figure out (practice practice i think) the NWnights engine I would love to use the more advanced graphics that it offers, as far as I know the only places you can add video to is the intro and end of the game. There is a mod for it tho that adds modern items to it like cars/copter/skyscrapers/guns/robots etc to it tho I have yet to get it to work.

Blitz

You could also help out Chicken with his RPG maker 2000 WC RPG

RPG maker is rather simple, so I jumped the boat and am working with the RPG Toolkit (GPL). My dad and I attempted to write an original engine. More or less to say not even a Kilrathi strapped with several Paw missiles could get it to fly. :p

Let alone render without going black and reaching into the nether of unhinged for-looping. After reading StarSoldier and getting a new ideas, things can change and I've changed my project as a result - still being WC and adding a dose of Privateer and post Nephilim destruction for the fun of it.

My suggestion is that making an RPG, the very first element is paper, pencil, and enough references to make you cry like a little girl. And LOAF to strike down bad ideas and reinforce what's acceptable and what not.

WC RPG demo Video

Here is what I call the proof of concept demo.
I have started on the real game play and story but what you see here is just the idea for the story and some footage of the game engine.
I have started to make custom combat icons so far I just have the Blair and Maniac ones done. Combat also won't be this easy in the real game this was done just make the the video flow better.
Once I have more of the main game done I plan on added voice overs to most of the game PCs and npcs depending on my skill at it as well if anyone wants to add there voices and or help with the game.
Anyone who wants to help making art just send me mail and I'll let you know what I need.
Things yet to be done, creating more custom combat icons, finding a way to get guns to work. See if its possible to use ships in the game, remove buttons not needed in game such as the magic icon or change it to something more fitting the game universe.

Here is a link to the file, its about 36megs.
http://rapidshare.com/users/UZ291Z

Password is Blair
Blitz

Back