WC Arena in SC2

CptnEisen

Spaceman
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the long pause between showing any progress with this, for those that remember, I have been spending time looking to import Wing Commander into Starcraft 2.

The new Starcraft 2 editor gives us a lot of options. With the release of the Arena models, I've decided to make my first map based off of the somewhat under appreciated WC Arena.

My first goal is to get all the fighters and the destroyers into a map, my aim is to initially create a 4 vs 4 map where the objective is to destroy the opposite teams destroyer whilst defending your own.

There's a long way to go yet - I'm currently busy with readying all of the models for use. I'm unable to use the team color texture in the recent release, so instead I'm adding in the team colors myself. I've also added simple ship animations (at the moment - stationary, flying and attacking) as well as figuring out how to add hardpoints correctly.

On entry to the map, players will have the option to chose their ship, just like Arena. All will have different advantages. I hope to also add randomly spawning powerups (This is possible - I just haven't figured it out yet)

To show off a little of my progress, I've attached some screenshots of my last test which includes Rapier and Arrow class fighters. I haven't created any custom weapons or images yet, all the imports are currently based on the ingame Banshee- You should notice that they fire from Hardpoint 1, as this is the hardpoint for the Banshee to launch it's air to ground missiles.

Any thoughts/ Comments are appreciated. (As custom loading screens are possible, I recently thought of adding in info on Arena and a link to it's page - Though I doubt enough people will play to make a difference, who knows, right? :))

Showcasing the Arrow Scout Team Colors:

screenshot2010091122303.jpg

And the Arrows in Action:

screenshot2010091122370.jpg

The Rapier Vanguard:

screenshot2010091214431.jpg

And Finally - The current lineup:

screenshot2010091214421.jpg

The problem is Battle.net has pretty strict restrictions at the moment - no more than 10 maps / 50mb - whichever comes first - Might make it hard to put together a campaign :( If someone comes up with a way to play custom maps without uploading them through Battle.net (The way SC1 worked), I'll definately move on to this

That looks really cool! It's nice to see new functional mods still sprouting up these days, and this is an awesome use of the Arena models!

I like the action shots. Looking forward to seeing more ships integrated.

Any thoughts/ Comments are appreciated. (As custom loading screens are possible, I recently thought of adding in info on Arena and a link to it's page - Though I doubt enough people will play to make a difference, who knows, right? :))

That's a great thought though! Definitely couldn't hurt.

it's crazy how good those models look in the starcraft engine. Definitely will be watching this one.

wow, badass - the models do look fantastic! Any plans to put any of the 'older' models in? I might need to get starcraft 2 for this!

Wow everyone, thanks for the positive feedback - With regards to the models, I think initially I want to focus my efforts on an Arena Tribute, those guys put in a lot of work for us fans, and I want to thank them in my own way for the doing what I think was a great job for such a small game. I have a huge collection of Wing Commander models so I'll probably look at a different style of WC map after this one. I'm currently working on the Broadsword models - from the scale of things, it's going to be huge! I've got some other pretty neat stuff lined up for this map - Assuming everything works out the way I hope :) (Once I get to destroyers, I'm hoping to implement a component system like Prophecy for kills - Shield Generator is primary target, once knocked down, bridge up next - The bridge will have a detector status to detect cloaked vessels, once it's down, cloaked ships will have a much easier time of making direct attacks - There may be other components I'll add for Capship weapons - Depends on what the engine lets me do :)) - I hope when it's finally done, people will be able to play in a team of 4, you'll have to plan if you want to all out attack, split up - 2 defend, 2 attack. There'll be a leaderboard for each game, though I'm not sure if that data can be saved out to have an all time killboard - So much still to do :p

Back