Vesuvius and Star Destroyer Size?

I think you're completely failing at understanding what Star Wars is about if you're worried about technical classifications and weapons values of it's starships.

Not only understanding Star Wars, but understanding what 'canon' means. Something that's 'canon' is something that writers/creators/etc. promise to stay true to in the future... it has NO OTHER MEANING THAN THIS. Something that's "a lower canon", and then defined as being something everyone can and will ignore in the future is *not canon* but rather a PR stunt to convince stupid people who think that such things matter regarding their purchase of a Star Wars book.

I thought you guys were joking about Spacebattles so i had to see for myself. I was surprised, I can't believe people debate some of the things there. Some of the topics make the Star Wars vs Star Trek, or Star Wars vs Wing Commander debates mild by comparison.

SpaceBattles is such a weird and horrible mix of resources and a complete inability to think properly.

Bandit LOAF said:
Something that's "a lower canon", and then defined as being something everyone can and will ignore in the future is *not canon* but rather a PR stunt to convince stupid people who think that such things matter regarding their purchase of a Star Wars book.

You mean to tell me that all the specifications in TIE Fighter, X-Wing, The Star Wars Technical Manual, the Incredible Cross Sections books, both role-playing games and Star Wars Guide To Ships And Vehicles have contradictory materials because all of that material is *not* canon!?

No! No! LeHah... it's different *levels* of canon!

See, all those things are CANON LEVEL RED... which means that... they exist... and... they can be contradicted by anything. See? Canon!

That's only the Star Destroyer, I'm talking the Super Star Destroyer and it was actually say that it's 19,000 meters long. It used to say 8,000 meters long, but someone had an ego trip and made it larger.

Maj.Striker said:
I'm not a "mega" Star Wars fan but I based on what I've seen, George Lucas himself has never assigned power ratings, speed classifications etc to the units and weapons in his universe. Sure there's been "canon" books out there contributed by many authors that bear his seal of approval but the point is, George Lucas created a neat little universe...he didn't put a whole lot of thought into what makes what do what...that was never the goal. He put the thing together in a movie and expected the audience to just enjoy it for what it is. There's no audible explosions and laser blasts in space, there'd be no roaring fighters swerving in and out like aerial dogfights but it's just fun stuff. People get way too overhyped in the technical classifications of a made up universe at times.

Striker is right. A SD's lasers are just as powerful as they need to be, no more, no less. All this mathmathimications are crap. They do not matter.

And yeah, it sucks that the very good Thrawn trilogy of books is NOT canon, while the bad New Trilogy of movies is 100% official and canon.

Edfilho said:
And yeah, it sucks that the very good Thrawn trilogy of books is NOT canon, while the bad New Trilogy of movies is 100% official and canon.

People who repeatedly find the prequels distasteful are not unlike fashion trends - they're both too ugly to stay around for too long. (Not that Ed is ugly, but the notions that X is greater than Y is awfully silly. The prequels have done more good for the saga than any of the UE books have - including Zahn's wonderful trilogy and woeful follow-ups.)

LeHah said:
but the notions that X is greater than Y is awfully silly.

The X-wing is most surely greater than the Y-wing. After all the X-wing was used to blow up the first death star, something the Y wings failed to do.

Ok, but seriously.

He he he. Okay some prick at Star Wars.com changed the length of the SSD from 8,000 to 18,500 meters.

That's a little bit of a typo eh? It's not like they were off by a couple of feet but well over double the size they had listed previously. "Well, we were going to build her to be 8000.5 meters but we wound up with her settling in at 18,500. All in all, just a little over budget."

Wait, I guess I wasn't going to get too serious. Nevermind.

LeHah, the sequels are not good movies. If they did good for the series is an entirely different matter.

Oh, and people get way overhyped about technical specificications of sci-fi universes. The people making them don't. They know Watto can't fly, and Dooku's Solar Sailer is useless, they don't care, they make fun about it on DVD commentary tracks.

While it's interesting to see it all work, especially when it's more or less cohesive, something SW isn't, it shouldn't be so hotly debated. What's the point.

What make WC tech specs interesting is that WC is a great game to begin with, people won't care as much for a bad game that has cool tech specs.

Back