Very Cool Website

interesting... the sites maker seems to have gone through a lot of work.

Yet at the same time there are too many liberties and presumptions made to make this the "authoritative" site he claims it to be. In fact (to his credit) he even outlines the change he made and the exclusions he made.

The site is useful if you want a dossier on the Pilgrim War and don't have a Confed Handbook handy, but otherwise there are better ones out there.

He makes really weird exceptions, and the fact that he explains them only makes them weirder.

It's like he went to a lot of trouble and took a lot of time to create very specifically a visually unappealing website designed to irritate people.

I found it informative- especially the section on the Wing Commander campaigns. I was hoping the flight roster would detail various Kilrathi/Confed/Firekkan/etc. pilot exploits (# of kills, style, personality, taunts, etc.).

Mjr. Whoopass said:
I found it informative- especially the section on the Wing Commander campaigns. I was hoping the flight roster would detail various Kilrathi/Confed/Firekkan/etc. pilot exploits (# of kills, style, personality, taunts, etc.).

We don't know how many kills most pilots had, however - the only ones that were even hinted at were Iceman's, Maverick's, and Maniac's kills - those put them on the lists of highest-scoring aces, but they don't tell us what the exact number for each ace is most of the time... and we don't know enough about the others, much less their exploits, to really do all tha tmuch anyways. Therefore, a section with that sort of information would be, by defintion, mostly conjecture - and the author of the site's made it clear that he's tried to avoid making stuff up... but did so anyways.

Huh.

Yeah, I don't believe we have firm kill numbers on any pilot's careers. Iceman's numbers for example could vary a great deal depending on how you play the game. He could have a lot of kills if you hang back and let him finish them or not so many if you play aggressively snapping up the kills. Also, I believe (though not 100% sure) that the killboard on the claw only shows kills from the pilots while stationed aboard the Claw (i.e. any previous kills wouldn't be recorded on the chalkboard).

Iceman is a rare case where we *do* know his career kill score: 367, as mentioned in the article about Casey transferring to the Midway in Waypoint!.

For others, we only know scores are particular times. For instance, Maniac scored his 5th kill right before Wing Commander I... and his 2001st kill right before Wing Commander Prophecy.

Alch said:

If that site is ever completed it stands to be a very beautiful example of a summary of WC products that were released. Plus the simple navigation is very welcome. But for now, broken links and missing content, and bad grammar and spelling, give it a marginal fail. The art however is top notch. A little bit of work and this site could be a welcome addition to the WC online resource collection.

Haesslich said:
We don't know how many kills most pilots had... much less their exploits, to really do all tha tmuch anyways. Therefore, a section with that sort of information would be, by defintion, mostly conjecture - and the author of the site's made it clear that he's tried to avoid making stuff up... but did so anyways.

I wouldn't like it if he included conjecture, but that would've been nice if he just included what information was known about them. Where they're from, a picture of them, what campaigns they're known to have served in, confirmed medals they have (if you can see them on their uniform), skill ratings if known (for WC4 for example, each pilot's skill is rated for gunnery, flying, courage, etc. in the flight roster and wingman selection), etc..

Mjr. Whoopass said:
I wouldn't like it if he included conjecture, but that would've been nice if he just included what information was known about them. Where they're from, a picture of them, what campaigns they're known to have served in, confirmed medals they have (if you can see them on their uniform), skill ratings if known (for WC4 for example, each pilot's skill is rated for gunnery, flying, courage, etc. in the flight roster and wingman selection), etc..

In that case, we'd have a callsign and maybe a name for most of the ones who didn't appear in the first and second games - there'd be very little information that'd be usefl outside of the game itself. We have one-or-two sentence snippets about most of the wingmen in WC4 and WCP, though at least the guide for WCP did have a bit more data on the main characters we interacted with.

Back