USS Ohio makes Seatrials

BusbyLogic

Spaceman
For those of you who follow military news the USS Ohio sucsessfully completed phase one of sea trials and we came back alive WAHOOOO.... Whats crappy though is I have duty the same day we pull back into port not so wahooo. I would give more details on what we did but then id have to kill you mwahahahaaha. If you would like to read up on this amazing submarine just put in a search for Uss Ohio 726 SSGN.
 

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Congratulations on being back alive. I'd imagine being on a submarine is a lot like an airplane. Any landing you can walk away is a good landing. A landing where you can reuse the plane is an excellent landing.

Change landing to "return to port" and plane for "submarine."

Anyway, congratulations.
 

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
Maj.Striker said:
Congratulations on being back alive. I'd imagine being on a submarine is a lot like an airplane. Any landing you can walk away is a good landing. A landing where you can reuse the plane is an excellent landing.
I sure hope you're joking, because if you're not, you're out of your mind :). The days of "any landing you can walk away from" are long, long gone.

But yeah, being on a submarine is indeed a lot like an airplane - in the sense that you're many times more likely to come home than if you just take a car out for a drive.
 

Dyret

Super Carrot!
Quarto said:
I sure hope you're joking, because if you're not, you're out of your mind :). The days of "any landing you can walk away from" are long, long gone.

Really? They have just begun.:p
 

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Quarto said:
I sure hope you're joking, because if you're not, you're out of your mind :). The days of "any landing you can walk away from" are long, long gone.

Tell that to a pilot...any pilot. He'll laugh in your face.
 

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
Maj.Striker said:
Tell that to a pilot...any pilot. He'll laugh in your face.
Sure he will - but if he ever tries to put theory into practice, he'll lose his wings. People say a lot of things, doesn't mean they actually believe them. Can you imagine an airline pilot with an "any landing you can walk away from" attitude? Or a fighter pilot? It doesn't work that way - if you don't land your plane perfectly, you'd better have a damn good excuse, because if you don't, there is a hundred other pilots out there ready to replace you. The only way you can get away with a screwed up landing is if you own the plane you wreck.
 

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Well, I agree with that 100%. Certainly that would be a horrible mindset to have. I'm not advocating that all. I certainly was joking in the sense that there is some wry humor in the statement. But there is also some truth in it as well, if I was on a plane and the engine malfunctioned and we "landed" and I could walk away from it. I'm pretty damn well pleased with the landing. Could have gone better? Absolutely! But I'm ecstatic to be alive nonetheless. Its definitely not an attitude as a pilot I'd want to take around as my operating philosophy however. It one of those things like: "The propellor is the little fan that keeps the pilot cool, just watch, when it stops turning you can see him actually start to sweat." or "Remember, push forward on the stick and the houses get bigger, pull back and they get smaller." They have a wry sense of humor in them and a certain degree of truth, neither of them would be great statements to take as a literal piloting mentality.
 

BusbyLogic

Spaceman
Its not really like airplane at all. We had over 200 people on board and we are 560 feet long. I would say the nicest thing about a sub is. One you get paid more "not much but every bit helps" You get promoted hella fast less than two years in and im up for e5 thats two away from chief. The best part is your the most powerful warship known to man. Its more like being in space when you think of how crew spent there time in wingcommander on ships probably close to the same with submarines.
 

powell99

Aviation Junkie
Funny that you bring this up. I finished a model of the USS Alaska. Ohio Class subs are pretty awsome. My friends father was on a Sub in the early 90's I forget which one though.
 

BusbyLogic

Spaceman
the entire boat has been redone they wideend the superstructure by 6 feet up to tubes 3 and 4 I believe to add a dry dock shelter and dock an ASDS for seals everything in the boat is completly modernized with top of the line stuff. my Radio room runs on 5 different operating systems and they all have to talk to each other *its a nightmare* picture windows 2000 network solaris, unix all having to share information. We do have touch screen displays as well which is pretty cool. Heh somethign real funny is the extra berthing they placed for the Seals 66 SOF racks that are about as big as coffins. I had to sleep in one for Sea trials, to get in I have to jump up and load myself in like a torpedo
 

Iceman16

Vice Admiral
Anyone can land a plane, a Pilot can do it twice.
and
Take the number of Landings youve done, add that to the number of take-offs youve done then divide by 2, if the number is odd, then your still in the air (I actually heard this being said to one of the cadets I was with when I was flying once, the guy didnt last 2 min in the plane before hurling haha).
 

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
Maj.Striker said:
Well, I agree with that 100%. Certainly that would be a horrible mindset to have. I'm not advocating that all. I certainly was joking in the sense that there is some wry humor in the statement.
See, and that's why I asked if you're joking :).
 

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
BusbyLogic said:
Heh somethign real funny is the extra berthing they placed for the Seals 66 SOF racks that are about as big as coffins. I had to sleep in one for Sea trials, to get in I have to jump up and load myself in like a torpedo

That would freak me out...I'm not good with confined spaces. I could handle it but it certainly wouldn't be fun. I wouldn't want to see how I did for an extended period of time. If I ever did join the military...submarine service isn't for me. :)
 

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Maj.Striker said:
That would freak me out...I'm not good with confined spaces. I could handle it but it certainly wouldn't be fun. I wouldn't want to see how I did for an extended period of time. If I ever did join the military...submarine service isn't for me. :)

You could always ask Death for some tips on that.
 

BusbyLogic

Spaceman
Yeah its really not for everyone. You have to in very good health and have very high asvab scores to make it into subs. Not only that you must have a squecky clean police record since you must have at least a Secret clearance to be on a sub. Some jobs on the boat like mine have even higher clearence like Top Secret and the dreaded SCI
 

BusbyLogic

Spaceman
Nope I am a radioman I deal with sat communications and stuff. We can have unlcassified internet underway which means can browse Wcnews in the middle of the pacific.
 
Top