Update-Time

Starman©

Spaceman
Hello again,

because many have requested it, we have now created a few small videos of the gameplay as a demonstration and to give you more insight into the game. Maybe they are a little rough due to the compression (and certainly don't represent the real ingame graphic), but for their filesize they are remarkable good. We hope that you enjoy them !

So, without any further introduction, here they are :

1) Fighterwing launch (Mission-Start) : download (3,0 MB)

2) Attacking a capship-subsystem (torpedo-launcher) under heavy AA-Fire : download (2,2 MB)

3) A destroyer's death : download (1,7 MB)

4) Unlucky Dralthi-Pilot : download (0,9 MB)

(edit) Here are the videos packed into a *.rar file, should be more convinient for download :download (7,4 MB)

Starman©

Dammit... Why won't my computer view them... Are these the types of files that you require DivX or something?

Looks good. In the future, I'd recommend longer clips, or even just joining all your smaller clips into one file. They are good quality and small file size, so you can probably bump the resolution and length pretty easily.

Those clips look quite nice. Especially that last one, Nice work putting the death screams/clips in. I'm confused how whoever was playing survived being shot that many times in the second clip, though. The other thing I noticed is that the explosion effects for larger ships really don't look terribly epic. (From my understanding, that's more of a problem for the SCP/Enhancement crew, but still, it just looks boring compared to the better-proportioned explosion in the fourth clip. ) The shockwaves look quite nice for the most part, in any case. Thanks for the update.

The quality on those clips was indeed quite good for something that small.

It's definitely looking good. The Dralthi clip really shows how much you've sped up the pace from the original game.

Magnum said:
It's definitely looking good. The Dralthi clip really shows how much you've sped up the pace from the original game.

I don't think that clip conveys that at all. Kills like that were quite possible in WC3/4 for me in my experiences.

As for the clips, they look great!

Lt.Death100 said:
Dammit, I downloaded DivX and it still won't play them.:mad:

Strange, I'm not really good in these technical matters, but I can tell you that I used the DivX 5.1 Codec to compress the files. After that, Tolwyn made another compression of the audio- stream which reduced the filesize to 30% of my original outcome.

But while I have DivX installed, I play the videos in Windows mediaplayer (newest version) and they work fine, maybe you can try that ?

As for making longer videos, now that the filesize is that small, it could be possible. However I ran into some problems while recording. After my RAM is full, it's writing on the HD which doesn't seem to be fast enough. I get big hangs in the moviefiles then, especially when effect like explosions are being played.

We planned more videos for the future, but the next update ( in 2 or 3 weeks from now on) will be a little smaller, I need time to do other things first :)

As for the explosion, I think for the main-release we might get the possibility to use more explosion-variants than it is possible now. What you don't saw yet is a nice explosion for the torpedos, that is taking up one place in the necessary table.

We might change them for the prologue, but I'm not sure yet.

Starman©

Magnum said:

Excuse me, but I'm not fully sure what you mean by that (got a little problems translating that correct). Do you mean that the dralthi is killed to easily ?

I guess it's a question of the difficulty-settings (quite low for me while testing) and the AI-Behavior. However, these front-assault missiles are very dangerous. They beat me up many times with them, because the enemy does fire them at the same way like seen here. Good luck dodging them :D

Magnum said:
It does look like WC3/4, which is the point.

Good, than it shows we are doing right :) I think there isn't much left from FS or it's gameplay. Most disturbing at this point, except graphical enhancements we still have the freespace-hud. But they are working on a way to make it customizable (spelling ?) , and once we get that, the way is open for real cockpits (which do already work ) :) Though this won't be within the prologue, and the HUD isn't that bad :)

Halman said:
Yeah, I'm on dialup and I wouldn't mind having them all in one file.

Good point, I always forget that some people still have that. Please check the first post again, I uploaded a *.rar file with all 4 videos in it.

meisdavidp said:
I'm confused how whoever was playing survived being shot that many times in the second clip, though.

Also a good point :) But the deeper sence of this movie was just to show the AA-Fire and the subsystem-kill. This is also one of my "programmers edition" missions, where I made the player invulnerable (I hate it testing a mission, playing ten minutes and then get shoot down a few seconds before the part comes that I want to test :D ). As you see in the Hud, the shield drains. Once it is down, you would receive nasty hulldamage, escpecially from the big tachyon-turret. For normal ingame play, this attack would be on a very unfortunate approach vector :)

Unregistered said:
Strange, I'm not really good in these technical matters, but I can tell you that I used the DivX 5.1 Codec to compress the files. After that, Tolwyn made another compression of the audio- stream which reduced the filesize to 30% of my original outcome.

But while I have DivX installed, I play the videos in Windows mediaplayer (newest version) and they work fine, maybe you can try that ?
It already shows up in Windows Mediaplayer.
edit (Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is located on the Internet, connect to the Internet. If the file is located a removable storage card, insert the storage card.) This is the error message I get while in mediaplayer.

Starman© said:
Excuse me, but I'm not fully sure what you mean by that (got a little problems translating that correct). Do you mean that the dralthi is killed to easily ?
I think there isn't much left from FS or it's gameplay.
No, I don't think the Dralthi is killed too easily. I think it's just right. When I said the pace was sped up, I meant both the actual flight speed and the speed of killing the enemy. In Freespace itself, the ships seem to float around and don't move very fast, and it takes forever to kill them. From the video, it looks like everything is moving faster, and the Dralthi goes down as quickly as it should in a WC context. My point was that I could tell there isn't much left of the FS gameplay. In short, I like what I see.

As for anybody having trouble with the video, download this, and you shouldn't have any problems: http://hellninjacommando.com/defilerpak/

From what I can see, there's not much left of the destroyer after it blew up. I did see a chunk that was maybe half the size of the destroyer though. Is there a way to leave a larger destroyed hulk of metal after a capship blows? But overall I really liked what I saw.

Wow, those videos look really really good. From what I saw, you caught the WC feeling pretty well IMHO. The music adds a lot of atmosphere as well. Congratulations!

:cool:

WcSaga, consider my faith in you re-instated. Those videos were awesome. I've never seen a Kilrathi Destroyer look that cool even when being blown up. Keep it up!

Back