Unknown Enemy Upgrade

@Quarto actually, because it's space, there's no reason other than safety one supposes, that they couldn't all launch at once. Cinematic reasons probably trump that anyway.
Well, now, that's a different issue: there's no reason why fighters in WC couldn't take off any way they like. Mind you, a couple of WC sources - I think the WC4 novel was the main culprit - did add the preposterous notion that ships did need catapults or at least take-off assistance rockets, and that launching without them could be deadly, but we can dismiss that as the writer just being really silly. That said, catapult launches are obviously preferable, because it means the launching fighter doesn't need to worry about being picked off by enemy ships before picking up speed.

@Quarto actually, because it's space, there's no reason other than safety one supposes, that they couldn't all launch at once. Cinematic reasons probably trump that anyway.
There probably are issues with using those fighter's massive engines on the flight deck... you probably don't want them just blasting away until they're out of the deck... But it's space and there's artifical gravity... I bet they could launch them from the ceiling if they needed to.

I kind of liked the original idea on the Midway which was that the launch tubes were arranged vertically out the bottom, so that it could launch 50 or so fighters at a time.

I kind of liked the original idea on the Midway which was that the launch tubes were arranged vertically out the bottom, so that it could launch 50 or so fighters at a time.
In such a case, you’d want top tubes too, it wouldn’t make any sense to differentiate that much the two sides.

No, no, no. There is no way that sort of arrangement could possibly work. Think about it: if you had fifty separate launch tubes, how could you ever invoke the "launch tubes are out of action, you're all we've got" trope? Imagine all the gameplay possibilities they'd destroy with this one technological innovation!

No, no, no. There is no way that sort of arrangement could possibly work. Think about it: if you had fifty separate launch tubes, how could you ever invoke the "launch tubes are out of action, you're all we've got" trope? Imagine all the gameplay possibilities they'd destroy with this one technological innovation!
Simple. You have a full saboteur division in the crew, who will painstakingly mine every single launch tube and blow them up every six hours. Go to Deck Six to see them. Saboteur Bar and Saboteur Cinema are really great, the Captain eats there every evening, which is why we kinda can’t hammer down on them.

I have the latest official release of UE on my hard drive. Support of OpenGL rendering like in upgraded Prophecy, upgraded Secret Ops and Standoff is not officially implemented yet. DirectX and 3DFX Glide modes are supported however.
It is possible that you have an unreleased version with OpenGL support?

I have the latest official release of UE on my hard drive. Support of OpenGL rendering like in upgraded Prophecy, upgraded Secret Ops and Standoff is not officially implemented yet. DirectX and 3DFX Glide modes are supported however.
It is possible that you have an unreleased version with OpenGL support?

The OpenGL dll doesn't have any hacks on the exe side, it's all in the dll. Even effects like bloom are a case of "aha, a request to draw 2D has been made, time to bloom the scene!". So it shouldn't need any modification to work.
I think Origin even made the setup smart enough to detect all dll's with the correct naming convention. If you copied the dll and OpenGL.tre and the opengl config file you should be able to select it just as you would DirectX/ software.

The OpenGL dll doesn't have any hacks on the exe side, it's all in the dll. Even effects like bloom are a case of "aha, a request to draw 2D has been made, time to bloom the scene!". So it shouldn't need any modification to work.
I think Origin even made the setup smart enough to detect all dll's with the correct naming convention. If you copied the dll and OpenGL.tre and the opengl config file you should be able to select it just as you would DirectX/ software.

Cool.
I didn't know it was that easy, so I'd like to try this out myself. :)

Before I do anything wrong:
Which files do I need to copy and how shall I rename these? More importantly: How do I manually set Unknown Enemy to use the OpenGL Renderer without reyling on the launcher?

Cool.
I didn't know it was that easy, so I'd like to try this out myself. :)

Before I do anything wrong:
Which files do I need to copy and how shall I rename these? More importantly: How do I manually set Unknown Enemy to use the OpenGL Renderer without reyling on the launcher?

The inbuilt secretops launcher should just detect it - but if you can't use that for some reason just rename the gl00007.dll (I think off the top of my head) to the name of the gl you are using by default.

EDIT: GLOpenGL.tre, GLOpenGL.cfg, gl_00007.dll

Last edited:
Aww, man, I should be so pleased that after all these years, people still recall UE, and some even want to get an updated version of it after all these years ;).

Back