Tsunami news

Yes, I heard about it. I hope everyone is seriously considering making the most generous donation they can afford. Those people need it so much.

TheFraix said:
Anyone heard about yet?

Who hasnt? Its been on every news and almost every non-news channel for the past week. its sad really, I think I know someone whos missin in thailand. on the other hand, a friend of mine was to go to India, right where the tsunami hit, but cancelled cuz he got sick before that, good thing that.

My parents are in india right now...I'm hoping they're doing alright but I haven't heard from them yet. I'm not too concerned yet cause I assume the communications are kinda wonked out over there right now...

I doubt if anyone has read my interests but Disaster Relief is what I do, well I'm a volunteer now but I'm in school for it. I almost went to Grenada this year and I went to Florida for 3 out of 4 storms. Any way thats off topic.
I've been asked to pray and think about going to one of the islands. I'm very unsure about it, it would be with a organization I've never dealt with and I don't speak the lang. It's scary going somewhere you've been to work with people you don't know and you don't know where your food or water will come from, but I love doing it. However I'm about to start a new job and can't pick up and leave when I want to anymore. So I'm struggling.
In any disaster, your body on the sight is more important than your money. I'm not saying don't give money, if thats all you can give then do it, but what they hurt for the most is to have people to send to these places. Volunteer for a disaster effort.
I note about volunteering even though you do worry about finding your next meal and such, its not your problem unless your told that, it has to be spelled out to you, and unless you sign a wavier you will be taken care of they will provide you with or arrange for food, shelter, and water. I'm not the best spokes person for this kind of thing because I'm to ate up with going to these things. The best example I can think of is 9-11. The assiant director for the group I'm in, he was involved with the effort for 9-11. He told me that the only reason he got into Disaster Relief is because hes nosey. He wanted to see what happens, how it works and to see it come together. That how I am, I want to see this stuff come together into a unifed effort, and if I'm going to be watching it, heck I might as well be doing it. Any way I guess thats all, I'm going to check http://www.interaction.org/sasia/index.html and see which groups are going and what there personal needs are. I encourge every one of you to go to interactions site, they list all the groups not just the ones like the Red Cross.

That footage of the tidal wave in Thailand was crazy. Cause all these people were watching it thinking it was just this really big wave but then they all start screaming and running once it plows through that building and goes all over the street. Crazy. And now the death toll is well over 100,000.

Shipgate said:
That footage of the tidal wave in Thailand was crazy. Cause all these people were watching it thinking it was just this really big wave but then they all start screaming and running once it plows through that building and goes all over the street. Crazy. And now the death toll is well over 100,000.

123,000 accordin to what I just saw on the news

Many of my friends and acquaintances are offering help in forms of donations, supplies and manpower.

Problems is accessibility. The place is pretty much a mess, and most volunteer workers aren't properly trained or equipped for the relief effort.

There are still supplies waiting in que.

Hmm... some way to face a new year, heh?

Keep up the donations guys. My country is in a national trauma right now since Phuket and Kao Lak in Thailand are very popular holiday resorts for Swedes.
Here in Sweden the news hit us on 26th december, the same day it happened. The newspapers have showed pictures of missing swedes all week. A lot of them children.

Back