Transferring characters from SM2 to WC2

Penta2

Spaceman
I dunno if this belongs in Tech Support or General WC Chat, but...

Woohoo. I just finished bringing a character from the beginning of WC1 through to the end of SM2.

Now, I'd like to bring my SM2 character into WC2. How do I do that? When I tell WC2 to transfer a character from WC1, it only notices the WC1 file (MAJ Blair), not LTCOL Blair with many hundreds of kills from SM2.

Well, since you're demoted to captain anyway, it doesn't really matter, does it? Plus, I don't think you can transfer a character from SM2 to WC2.

Yes you can.
SM2 uses a diffrent savegame file.
WC1+SM1 - SAVEGAME.WLD
SM2 - SAVEGAME.SM2 (I think)
simply find the SM2 save file and it should be able to read you as LT. COL.

The SM2 savefile is called CRUSADE.WLD you could try putting it in C:\WC2\Gamedata\ and importing it as a DOS SM2 savegame. Or you could use the savegame editor to convert the file back to a Vega Campaign savegame with all your kills/rank etc intact.

OK...So....I would put it in the WC2 GAMEDAT? <scratches head>

I'm not stupid...I'm just very...slow...

oops my bad...... C:\wc1\gamedat(a)\ then see if it will import it as a dos version. Otherwise do the other thing I suggested. Not sure if it's gamedat or gamedata.

If you give me a few days I'll be doing it myself (Currently in the first Dralthi mission)

The savegame editor will open your savegame, change it to a vega campaign and have it saved as SAVEGAME.WLD. WC2 should then see it.

I assume this is using WCSAV available from CIC?

Like I said, I'm slow...I like to check for such obvious things.:)

Yes, to add some more diagnostic data...When I select "Wing Commander", it cannot find any valid savegames.

When I select "DOS version of Wing Commander", it only notes the sole Vega Campaign saved.

Penta2 said:
I assume this is using WCSAV available from CIC?

Like I said, I'm slow...I like to check for such obvious things.:)

yes, that's the one, you need to convert it back to an original vega campaign file.

Also when you chose DOS, did it give you the option to choose SM2?

If you don't mind my asking a stupid question, why bother? The WC2 storyline is independent of the WC1/SM one, and you should have no problem finding enough bad guys to shoot to put you back up to the top of the killboard. (Not that the killboard really matters past WC1. At least in the original they tried to keep some semblence of competition. After reloading Prophecy and playing a handful of missions, I'm already back at the top of the killboard.)

Same thing with rank and medals. They really don't matter in WC2, so why bother importing them? That's just my take on it, anyway.

Because I'm trying to see when the killboard rolls over, without editing the character.:)

Also, because it's supposed to be possible.

Ok, I just did it myself.

1) Use the transfer program that comes with WC1 to transfer the character back to SM1
2) Use wcsav (install it in the gamedat directory) and choose to edit your pilot
3) Where it says Secret Missions press - key and it will change to Vega
4) Press esc twice and go into WC2, you should now be able to import Lt. Col Blair.

Back