Torpedo Capacity

Quarto said:
Interesting. I didn't remember about either of those. A good question at this point would be whether the planetary bombardment weaponry was fired out of the torpedo tubes, or if it had a separate launching system.

I think it's mentioned in the TCH that the Concordia-class supercruisers use their torpedo tubes for launching antimatter planetary bombardment missiles.

Do we have any idea what torpedo tubes look like externally? Because I'm having some trouble deciding how to model them on the Concordia.

psych said:
Cruisers have torpedoes. False Colors had the Karga being damaged by "multiple torpedo hits". And the only Confed forces were the two cruisers.
Maybe they ment that it was damaged by torps in front of Hellhole.

Really . . . then explain to me this. I quote from False Colors page 1, first paragraph.

"Admiral Largka Cakg dai Nokthak gripped the arms of his command chair as the ship shuddered under the impact of multiple torpedo hits and the red lights flickered in protest."

Now, unless they magically happened to have a torpedo that hits the ship and then a few days later the warhead detonates, your explanation is fine to me.

There's also that scene in End Run, where the Intrepid and the Fralthra destroy each other simultaniously with torpedoes.

Poulton said:
Not me! That damn Ralatha kept busting my chops when you had to retrieve the data capsule.

You're telling me. Especially those two Fralthra at the end of SO1.

Fuses on torpedoes? I didn't think it worked like that.

AMGs rock my world. It's sorta fun knowing that the ship your trying to slag has enough firepower to vaporize you in a single salvo... oh yeah, its also sorta nifty watching your homeship point at fighters and go "you die, now you die, now you die" while you sit back and laugh.

Poulton said:
No wonder it was nigh on invincible then!!

I destroyed that thing. the key to that mission is to destroy one sartha in the first pass, turn around so that you are flying away from the Ralatha and take out the other Sartha with your rear turret, then, once you are out of the range of the destroyers gins, get up behind it and blast its ass. :)

Okay, we've agreed that the Cruisers have torpedoes too...

Let's come up with an estimate in terms of torpedo tubes...

DESTROYERS
-MURPHY: No idea
-GILGAMESH: 12 (estimate)
-EXETER: No Idea
-DURANGO: No Idea
-SHEFFIELD: No Idea

-Ralari
-Ralatha
-WC3 Light Destroyer
-WC3 Heavy Destroyer

CRUISERS
Waterloo:
Gettysburg:
Talahassee:

-Fralthi:
-Fralthra:
-Fralthi II:

-Concordia

12 tubes sounds about right, as for reloads I would think they wouldn't have enough for many battles. I am not nearly as knowledgeble in military matters as much as you (Although I have a feeling I better pick up some books and catch up lol), they wouldn't be used for extensive fleet actions.
As for the destroyers being almost as good as a destroyer, sure for striking power, but in the books, as well as your guys own stories and books, a squadron of Broadswords/Crossbows/Longbows/Shrikes/Devastators, make up for that, especially if they can strike from multiple directions.
But I could just be speaking from my ass lol!

Hypothetical question......If between WC1, and WC2 they upgrated capital ships with new armor and weapons, would the Venture corvette have been updated to carry torpedoes, like a makeship torpedo boat, I know that a Venture class veatures in Milk Run, at the beginning of End Run, but again I can't remember (might help if I could dig it out, but I am in the middle of a remodel). They launch missiles at Capships don't they?
Could those have been torps, just writers error, to me that was the only downside of that book, was Milk Run.

I think they are missiles. The WC1 manual says stuff about missiles mounted on corvettes, that 2 FF and 1 IR missile are mounted. So, one could switch off for anti-capship missiles, or through the advent of new technologies and lighter weight weapons/armor add more missile tubes.

Not capships. Commerce raiders and a destroyer if I remember right. Less phase shielding, if any. So, they might have launched standard FF missiles or the like.

The Confed corvette Kagimasha from End Run had torpedoes. And if I remember correctly, Kilrathi Kamekh corvettes had torpedoes too (4 I think).

That is what I thought, Confed corvettes are a joke lol, well at least from WC1. I think it would have been nice to see some in WC3, or even as foes in WC4.

I understand that the Standoff guys and the WC Saga guys both have their own version of the Venture-class corvette. And we do know that corvettes exist in WC3-4-ish times because the novels specifically state that corvettes were used as electronic warfare vessels. I will like to see a electronic warfare variant of the Venture-class in some sort of game.

Back