Top 5 Reasons why the TCH is not Canon

Well...thing is, the quote states "The first recorded contact with the Kilrathi was made on 2638.229, when the exploratory vessel CS Iason encountered three armed Kilrathi merchantmen"...which doesn't really mesh well...

Let’s not give in so easily to a seeming conflict. I think in this case we’re making a mistake to read the words “recorded” and “contact” so broadly. Keep in mind that Taggart had physical contact with the Kilrathi as a result of this incident and that he subsequently escaped to provide Confed with a firsthand account.

Also, for what it’s worth, some of the references to prior “contacts” with the Kilrathi, such as the history of the first Iason encounter (in CM, VoW, and VS) and early Confed intelligence reports on the Kilrathi (quoted in AS) are notable for the apparent poor quality or vagueness of the “record” or information on which they’re based (especially the inability at the time to even identify observed ships as Kilrathi).

Finally, the quoted passage from TCH is “in-universe” and more to the point is from a HarperCollins Student Encyclopedia dated 2653. It’s only what the general public claims to know, which still leaves open the distinct probability that the public has not yet been told or learned everything there is to know about other “contacts” (not to mention the details of Taggart’s own experience). As for Dr. C. L. Kohl’s “encounter” in 2621, the only “record” we know about is his “notes” of his secret observations of the Sivar-Eshrad ceremony. I don’t think we know what the source is for his reported capture and execution (and I’m not sure we otherwise know how or when his “notes” first came into Confed hands, let alone how or when they were first disseminated).

I always figured Dr. Kohl's notes were recovered when Ghorah Khar rebelled around the time of SM2 -- thus, nothing about it in the Confed Handbook or Claw Marks...

Which also pulls in the interesting question of why the Kilrathi held onto his notes in the first place.
Hmm...

depends on if they, being wariors, saw just as much to observe about their new prey, humans, in this Dr Kohl...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I always figured Dr. Kohl's notes were recovered when Ghorah Khar rebelled around the time of SM2 -- thus, nothing about it in the Confed Handbook or Claw Marks...

Maybe Ralgha brought it with him?

Originally posted by Shane

Maybe Ralgha brought it with him?

Perhaps, although I suspect the Ghorah Khar option would be more likely just due to the fact that a planetary database would be more likely to have it.
Or it could be that everywhere there are Sivar zealots you'll find copies of his notes. Fanatical exclusionary religions often like to show examples of why the heathens are heathens, and since the ceremony is supposedly not to be seen by outsiders, his notes might have been some sort of theocratic propoganda ('See what the apes have dared to do this time!!').

Sigh...once we clear that up, we still have the fact that Tolwyn apparently entered the Acadamy in 2614...when he was one year old...

"the admiral has relaxed very little in the almost four decades since he entered the Academy..."

Tolwyn entered the Academy in 2629, when he was 16 (TCSA is a 5 year program).

Ralgha's age seems normal -- he's not a man in a furry suit... he's an actual furry alien thing <G>

Back