Tolwyn's Trial - WC IV

With all the music videos going on right now, I was wondering if someone could make a video of just the Tolwyn trail with the original music and everything. Every time I used to finish the game that bit would give me chills. It was so well put together, and the music was phenominal.

Some great acting in that last scene. If someone feels like chucking in the debate at the beginning too that would be swell :)

I know I could go and just play my copy, but since I have a first edition it's got those thick black lines through all the vid sequences. A DVD rip version would be excellent :D

I have encoded it to a hi-res divx avi. It is 10megs big. As I am nearing the limit of my webspace (and the little I have left, I want to save for other projects) I can't put it up myself. So if anybody is willing to host it, I will send it to them.

cyberkitten01 said:
I know I could go and just play my copy, but since I have a first edition it's got those thick black lines through all the vid sequences. A DVD rip version would be excellent :D
you can play the game without the black lines, you know, use the parameter
WC4W.EXE -no_interlace with the win95 patch exe
Off course it's still not as good as a DVD rip

TomGaines said:
If somebody is offering enough webspace to put it, I would be willing to make it.

I'm guessing there's probably a South American nation that would be willing to do it.

Fruitcake said:
Yeah. Venezuela.

Heh heh, good one :D , though I was referring to the CIC:

10) The CIC may have more server space and bandwidth than an entire South American nation, but please try to be sensible with your posts.

Cool. It would be nice to have some memorable WC moments like this.

But would a larger scene like the Senate Debate with all the good choices, for example, lose too much quality to be encoded on a manageable file?

Delance said:
Cool. It would be nice to have some memorable WC moments like this.

But would a larger scene like the Senate Debate with all the good choices, for example, lose too much quality to be encoded on a manageable file?
I'd make it but I don't have anything to rip the vob files with

Well, depending on the various settings used, you are looking at about 10-15MB/minute of footage without reducing the native resolution, while maintaining 80-95% transparency from the source video stream when compressing to XviD or DivX.

Provided the host has enough bandwidth, then specific scenes under 10 minutes in length would probably be feasible for everyone but dialup users. I can't recall roughly how long the Senate Debate with all the good/winning path choices was, but say it was ~10 minutes -- the resulting native/full resolution would be ~130MB or so, but by reducing the resolution to half before encoding, you could attain a similar range of transparency with only about 25-33% of the bitrate (scaling to full screen while viewing would obviously produce more blocking and artifacting than would be present in the full res encode though), leading to a file size of 25-35MB for 10 minutes at half resolution.

There's quite a bit of room for maneuvre in these figures. I haven't run any test encodes on the WC4 DVD lately, but when I last did I seem to recall getting fairly transparent encodes (90-95%) at ~2000kbps/0.25MBps (2-pass) with the latest XviD beta and a custom matrix.

Cheers,

BrynS

BrynS said:
Well, depending on the various settings used, you are looking at about 10-15MB/minute of footage without reducing the native resolution, while maintaining 80-95% transparency from the source video stream when compressing to XviD or DivX.

Provided the host has enough bandwidth, then specific scenes under 10 minutes in length would probably be feasible for everyone but dialup users. I can't recall roughly how long the Senate Debate with all the good/winning path choices was, but say it was ~10 minutes -- the resulting native/full resolution would be ~130MB or so, but by reducing the resolution to half before encoding, you could attain a similar range of transparency with only about 25-33% of the bitrate (scaling to full screen while viewing would obviously produce more blocking and artifacting than would be present in the full res encode though), leading to a file size of 25-35MB for 10 minutes at half resolution.

There's quite a bit of room for maneuvre in these figures. I haven't run any test encodes on the WC4 DVD lately, but when I last did I seem to recall getting fairly transparent encodes (90-95%) at ~2000kbps/0.25MBps (2-pass) with the latest XviD beta and a custom matrix.

Cheers,

BrynS
ya could always use the wc4 cd version instead

I'm all set up already to do an encode of the good version ending, but I would need somewhere to put up the file first. Oh, and the debate/trial montage is about 10.5 min. plus two more for the flight instructor ending.

I thought the same thing about that scene the first time I played it but after watchign that cut again I only give the movies and the main actors credit for their performances. The music was great, but when Sosa and Catscratch and whoever are jumping around the stand pointing the finger at Tolwyn, their performance borders on some bad soap opera. The best thing about the WC3 and later WC components has to be the incredible caliber of acting that was brought out by the cast. Only Rhys-Davies, Hamill, and MacDowell were acting in the trial scene.

And I Couldn't Go On!!!!!

EDIT: Hey, where are my ALLCAPS? the post isn't the same in lower case.

Back