Titan A.E.

Happy

Spaceman
I was just watching Titan A.E. on HBO, and i noticed that the terran ships had an uncanny resemblance to those of the terran confederation in WC. And I mean they look real close. They both feature fuselages with rounded or domed sections.:eek:

I see the resemblence, but those designs are a part of sci fi lore now. I doubt the movie designers were thinking of WC when they produced those ships, as I already know that Titan A. E. was anime influenced.

I would say that early wc, 1 & 2, were anime influenced. Not to the point of actual art work so much, but as to the concept of space combat, and other races. And while the fighters didn't convert to robots or cars, I think the fighters from WC even in WCP were anime influenced. Come on, the Swammer missiles, as anime as it gets.

Warning... Sarcasm alert...

Heh. Swarmers. Nothing at all like MIRVs, or large quantities of Smart Missiles... :rolleyes:

And, I'll bet that Dumbfires are all Animé versions of ... missiles that go forward.

Ooh. Let's debunk lasers now... They're like ... lights which go forward... Like in Animé.

And ... that Mass Driver cannon... Only in Animé could you come up with a concept about speeding up small pieces of metal to kill things...

Ok. That's enough for one post.

i guess what i meant, is that WC has some anime influences in it. no. to the point of everything, but that there are some outside inluences to WC. Like the concept of the mass driver is not unquie to WC, it is actually a real concept. It was concieved after the nuclear reactor, using small peices of urainium as it is so dense. (Yes, dense, like my head);)
They at one time tought they could use a mass driver in the event of an astroid crossing paths with earth. but the idea was soon scraped, as it was too complex, and unreliable.

A simple concept of a mass driver is a gun. Nothing magnetic about it, true, but it's the concept behind it all.

Re: Warning... Sarcasm alert...

Originally posted by Anagram
Heh. Swarmers. Nothing at all like MIRVs, or large quantities of Smart Missiles... :rolleyes:

Not so much the idea of MIRVs as the idea of the 'drunken missile swarm', which is very popular in anime. Seeing a single missile being fired in sci-fi anime is fairly rare, and when a cluster of missiles is fired, the missiles never fly in a perfectly straight line. Instead, they bob and weave toward their target, which while visually appealing, leads to them being termed 'drunken'.
I don't think Prophecy is all that animeish, however. If the swarmers were inspired by anything not in the real world, than it probably would have been the swarmers in Freespace.

Heh. Maybe. Maybe it was the LRM and SRM pods from Mechwarrior. We'll never know... Unless LOAF knows...:cool: Because LOAF has all of the answers.

Re: Re: Warning... Sarcasm alert...

Originally posted by junior

Not so much the idea of MIRVs as the idea of the 'drunken missile swarm', which is very popular in anime. Seeing a single missile being fired in sci-fi anime is fairly rare, and when a cluster of missiles is fired, the missiles never fly in a perfectly straight line. Instead, they bob and weave toward their target, which while visually appealing, leads to them being termed 'drunken'.
I don't think Prophecy is all that animeish, however. If the swarmers were inspired by anything not in the real world, than it probably would have been the swarmers in Freespace.

Prophecy came out before Freespace.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Warning... Sarcasm alert...

Originally posted by Mav23
Although you wouldn't be able to tell by the graphics :p
In my opinion, Prophecy's graphics engine was greatly superior to Freepsace's.

A big pile of dead racoons has a better engine than Freespace.

freespacesucks.gif

Originally posted by Happy
And I mean they look real close. They both feature fuselages with rounded or domed sections.

What are you doing watching shitty Don Bluth movies that aren't Secret of NIHM? Spaceship fuselage has been around since early pulp movies, as have those great 'domed' UFOs from B-movies and what-not.

true, but WC has a certain look to it. while those components are not unquie to WC, the arrangement is.

Back