Tiger's Claw death

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
How could six missiles from a Kilrathi Stealth Fighter destroy the fully shielded TCS Tiger's Claw? I mean the stealths cant carry torpedoes so how could six normal missiles destroy the claw?

The WC2 'cube' Strakha each carry two torpedoes -- that's almost certainly what they were firing.

Bandit LOAF said:
The WC2 'cube' Strakha each carry two torpedoes -- that's almost certainly what they were firing.

So, in the novels, they are carrying 2 torpedos but in the game they don't even have the firepower of a light fighter.

Is that correct?

If so, how come we don't see any torpedo carrying stealth fighters in the game? Perhaps they would be impossible to beat (lock on target cloaked, de-cloak for a second, fire the ordanence, cloak again, get the hell out of there, or even stay there to enjoy the fireworks)?

BTW, I am not saying that your information is incorrect or anything. I was just wandering why there is an inconsistency between the novels and the game itself...

Actually the game code says that they carry torpedoes. The thing is that we never see them using them because Strakha fighters never appear at the same nav point as a Confed capital ship in WC2/SO1/SO2. They never use their torpedoes because there is never anything for them to shoot the torpedoes at.

Furthermore, I don't think the novels say anything about the Strakha carrying torpedoes. So... it's an odd complaint to make :) It's Wing Commander 2 itself (and for those not interested in digging into WC2's internal ship specs, the early-Strakha specifications are listed in the Wing Commander Academy manual).

Another thing...

Why EXACTLY was Blair blamed for the destruction of the Tiger's Claw?

He was out on a patrol and as he returned he witnessed the stealth fighters and the Tiger's Claw blowing up. They might question his mental health, seeing invisible fighters, but as Tolwyn and the others didn't believe his story, there is only one plausible explanation for the quick death of the that carrier; an attack with overwhelming strength.

Did they expect Blair to stop an entire taskforce by himself?

He was branded a coward for not fighting at all. Besides, Blair stopped lots of task forces singlehandedly so they probably did expect him to.

Bandit LOAF said:
Plz Xplain what is meant by "cube" Strakhas...

Tarquinn said:
...Why EXACTLY was Blair blamed for the destruction of the Tiger's Claw?
After the incident, his fighter had no "black box" showing his detection of the fighters (Jazz stole it), and thus no confirmation or independent corroboration for his story. Thus, he was thought to be "making up" the story. He was branded as a coward and a liar.

Dammerung said:
Scapegoat =)
I usually refer to it as "Scrapegoat", in that the sins of the people were symbolically "scraped" onto the goat, and it was sent out into the wilderness to wander and then die (think of "scraping" the excess wallboard joint compound from your putty knife onto a rag to clean it... I guess I've been overwhelmed by home improvement projects over the last decade or so...).

BTW, what "novels" refer to Strakhas having torps on board?...

If only he had been smart enough to remove his flight disks upon landing on the TCS Austin, he might of been the Concordia's CO by 2665

Wedge009 said:
Why "remove"?

Because, as Jazz says when he is revealed to be the traitor, Jazz stole Blair's flight recorder disks, which is why they were missing when Blair's story was investigated. If Blair had taken the disks himself when he landed, then Jazz would not have had the opportunity to steal them.

Sylvester said:
How could six missiles from a Kilrathi Stealth Fighter destroy the fully shielded TCS Tiger's Claw? I mean the stealths cant carry torpedoes so how could six normal missiles destroy the claw?

Remember that in WC1 times, normal fighter-mounted missiles COULD kill capital ships--the new generation of phase shields seen in WC2 were not yet in use. Torpedoes would not have been needed.

Preacher said:
After the incident, his fighter had no "black box" showing his detection of the fighters (Jazz stole it), and thus no confirmation or independent corroboration for his story. Thus, he was thought to be "making up" the story. He was branded as a coward and a liar.
Yeah, I know.

But what exactly did the higher ranking Confed officers think has happened to the Tiger's Claw? And how did they expect Blair, one man, to save the ship from something that destroyed it so fast that it couldn't even call for help?

Blair is good, but he isn't a demi-god.

Back