The Vesuvii post-SO

Lionheart

Spaceman
Based on what I've read when I searched the forums for info on the Vesuvii supercarriers (is that their official classification, or are they just heavy carriers?), apparently it was the TCS St. Helens that was destroyed in Secret Ops; I always heard that it was the McKinley, 'guess my info was wrong.

So does that mean that the only Vesuvius-class carriers left in Confed are the McKinley and the Eisen? I always thought that the Eisen was actually the St. Helens, just rechristened following the death of William Eisen, but then that's only because I just imagined that Eisen became the official CO of the St. Helens following the Black Lance Incident, which is probably wrong...

Right now it looks like there were eight Vesuvius' class ships built. With the loss of the Vesuvius and the Mt. St. Helens, that leaves the Eisen, the McKinley, the Ranier, the Fujiyama, the Kilauea and one which has not yet been named.

Ahh, okay. I'd never heard of the Rainier, Fujiyama or the Kilauea...where have they been mentioned?

And thanks for your prompt answer, LOAF. :D

Designer for Prophecy, Lead Designer for Secret Ops. He shows up around here every now and again...

Ah, cool to know. Thankee.

Thanks for the info, too. The Vesuvius is one of my favorite ship classes in WC, and I personally prefer it over the Midway (despite the Midway's cost-effectiveness and all that). :)

By the way, how did William Eisen die? I know that Jason Bernard died a few years back, but how did Eisen buy it?

We don't know. Most likely natural causes, though. He was quite old, after all - he had served with Confed pretty much since the start of the war.

Out of respect for Jason Bernard, I would think Eisen's death was from natural causes.

I thought of a commisioning plaque for the Eisen.

TCS William Eisen
CV-77

"...wipe your feet when you enter my house..."

Aside from having the "starbase" in space, the marine contingent and such, why did they start up the Midway program, when they could have stuck with the Vesuvius design.
I have a feeling that good old James "Paladin" Taggart couldn't have a Tolwyn project over his own work, even after his Tolwyns death in WCIV, they continued to play king of the mountain. Politics.........

It was cost. Vesuvius-class carriers are expensive to maintain. The Midways were design to provide not only a lot of fighters, but the capability to carry a pair of Marine brigades and act as a mobile starbase, and do all of that with much less cost. It was the Fleet's peacetime policy of "doing more with less"

The contrasts are pretty amazing, they build a mega carrier so they can do all they can with one ship, yet they specialize their fighters, it almost like a complete reversal of the the previous games, or at least WCIII, or IV. Not saying that the Midway isn't a cool ship, I think it looks better than the Vesuvius.
Oh, and designer penchants to put in new ships to get buyers interested.
An off topic question, where are the launch tubes on the Bengal class carriers, it recovers on the big deck, but it launches from tubes, sortal like the Midway.

Back