The Last Starfighter

ck9791

Rear Admiral
Has anyone else here seen the movie, "The Last Starfighter" recently? I was watching it last night on the Sci-Fi channel to see if it was how i remembered it from when I was younger. While watching it, i noticed that the symbol worn by the Starfighters and on their Gunstars looked somewhat like the symbol of the Confederation. Anyone else notice this?

haha, I watched that last night as well. One of my favorites.

I did not notice, I'll have to watch again!

Yeah, I did notice the Confederation Signal thing. Also, doesn't the Gunstar look pretty close to a Galaxy merchant from Privateer?

Random side question here; did anyone else see Team America? Did anyone think that the limo was a takeoff on the Star Car from The Last Starfighter?

My roomate has the movie, so I enjoyed it along with the special features. I also saw it on Christmas Eve on the Sci-Fi channel. It's not really a Christmas show, though they do mention having to get the arcade game out before Christmas time. Now that you mention it, I think I remember noticing the similarities between the logo and Confed's.

I was a huge fan of the movie as a kid and enjoyed having the Last Starfighter lunchbox as my very first lunchbox (and I think my only one through sixth grade). I remember it had some very scary parts, but watching it again I'm surprised my parents let me watch it since it had some pretty disturbing scenes (beta unit being formed, spy being tortured to death, etc.). I'm sure the movie had an influence on my loving the Wing Commander series.

I never realized they used the guy who played the salesman in that musical (I think it's called 'the music man'), he's an amazing actor and that was GREAT casting. Also, the guy who played the last starfighter might have made a good supporting actor for the WC games.

The humor with the beta unit was a nice touch, and the space combat scenes were pretty good. That was one of if not 'the' first movie that used computer rendered graphics for the special effects and they were taking a big risk at the time.

I remember it had some very scary parts,

Yeah the scene in the command center where the Codan's show the Star League spy or agent being tortured/executed used to scare me when i was little. As did the alien bounty hunter the Codan's sent to Earth.

The movie has a wonderful soundtrack as well...I don't remember who composed it though

The movie has a wonderful soundtrack as well...I don't remember who composed it though

Craig Safan. Who's probably living on a tropical island somewhere, after he composed the title theme for Cheers.

I never realized they used the guy who played the salesman in that musical (I think it's called 'the music man'), he's an amazing actor and that was GREAT casting.

You're speaking of Robert Preston; The Last Starfighter was famously the last movie he worked on. (As another aside, Dan O'Herlihy who played Grig, died two years ago, I believe. Another one of those "famous british theater actors")

Also, the guy who played the last starfighter might have made a good supporting actor for the WC games.

I consider it a missed opprotunity that Sci-Fi decided to make a crappy show like BSG when something like The Last Starfighter is definitely more in line with what sci-fi needs. Instead of the false pretenses of heavy war drama, religious nonsense and stupid overtones that don't mean anything or go anywhere - a series continuation that would be as fun as the movie would not only go against the grain but be probably way better than anything on TV now.

I remember that movie. A great movie. I have not seen it in a while. It was the first movie to almost entirely do special effects by computer. :cool:

LeHah said:
Craig Safan. Who's probably living on a tropical island somewhere, after he composed the title theme for Cheers.

I thought Judy Hart Angelo and Gary Portnoy wrote the theme song to Cheers, but I looked on www.imdb.com and saw that he was involved too.. though I'm not sure if he worked on the theme with those two as well or if he orchestrated the background music.. Seems to me like it would be too many cooks in the kitchen ('too much brass, pain in the ass' to quote WC4).

LeHah said:
I consider it a missed opprotunity that Sci-Fi decided to make a crappy show like BSG when something like The Last Starfighter is definitely more in line with what sci-fi needs. Instead of the false pretenses of heavy war drama, religious nonsense and stupid overtones that don't mean anything or go anywhere - a series continuation that would be as fun as the movie would not only go against the grain but be probably way better than anything on TV now.

I couldn't help but imagine a sequel to The Last Starfighter as you watch the end scene where the Last Starfighter's little brother is playing the arcade game. I agree that it would be a more 'fun' show.

well it would sure be easy to have a sequal, considering the facts that the main villain escaped AND the entire corps of starfighters needs to be rebuilt and re trained.

It would be a difficult sequal though; it would have to be done just right.

I saw it when it came out all those years ago and recently saw it on DVD and had to make the purchase. A really good early CGI sci-fi flick.

I thought it was a great movie as a kid. Haven't seen it since :(. Gotta find out where they have it since I didn't know it was out on DVD either.

Dundradal - I like the sig. from Ghost of Onyx. I thought the book had an interesting twist to it.

Yeah once I saw it on DVD I knew it was an essential pickup.

I thought Ghosts of Onyx was ok. It's ending is really annoying as it removes the remaining Spartan IIs from been seen in Halo 3. While I do think it would be very unbalanced to have Blue Team appear in Halo 3, it would have been nice to see them in the final cutscene or something along the way.

And by twist are you talking about the true nature of the shield world? It's interesting if you also think about the crystal in First Strike and the battle in slipspace that followed it's discovery.

Could Standoff actually be a test to recruit a badly needed heroic outerspace fighter pilot???

Now THAT would be an interesting thought. If that's the case, then I'm expecting to be whisked away and put in the cockpit of an Arrow. I just won't have to worry about the "...gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." :D

Back