The Battlestar Galactica Thread

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
What did everyone think of the miniseries? Word on #wingnut is that it sucks harder than the undertow from Niagra Falls.

Alright, I don't have the SciFi Channel at school, but I DID get to see the first episode at the Santa Fe Film Episode, and I could say that I really enjoyed.

Most of the complaints I read from SciFi.com's BSG board is that "Oh, Starbuck is a girl! The Cylons are created by man! IT TOTALLY DESTROYS THE ORIGINAL SERIES!" Well, this is a modern remake of the original story, and it SHOULD destroy the original series. TOS was so campy with it's stories and acting. The new miniseries was a serious, professional production that kept the heart of the original. I saw the first episode and was horrified by the scenes of destruction, both mass slaughters and individual killings, by the Cylons. The way they are portrayed in the new miniseries is incredible. I do admit, they copy a lot of that "A.I. getting too much out of hand" that movies such as the Terminator and Matrix series portrays, but still, it was great.

I can't wait to get back home and see the second episode (along with the first again). I'll be first in line to buy the DVD.

Oh, those weren't the complaints in #wingnut ;). #1 strike - the acting was horrible, I've seen HS productions that put more into their performances than the actors of BG. #2 strike - it was not interesting. I never followed the original series so I wasn't expecting a whole lot and thats just what I got. I could have cared less if the colonies on the planet died in the little silent mushroom clouds because the only characters I saw on the planet was a smarmy little Dr. Bashir clone and a stupid mother who left her baby unattended with a strange woman. Also, where was the suspense in this show? Not once did I go into a commercial break worrying about a main character or thinking ahead to what was gonna happen next. Absolutely no tension what so ever to keep a viewer riveted. Alot of it I think was the score, or complete lack thereof by my judgement. Music and background themes go a long way to providing a nice tempo, building tension and enhancing the emotions seen on screen.
Some of the effects were neat, kindof reminiscent of the WCM, though the camera work in some of the scenes (not just the CGed ones) was attrocious.
Also, the movie seemed to not be able to make up its mind about what it wanted to be. Most moments it pretty much looked like BG +23 as someone put it. Others, it tried for an idea all its own.
Anyway, someone else can come up with a strike 3 instead of rambling on about it. I've already wasted 2 hours of my life on it, add another 10 minutes for this post and thats all I'm gonna spend.

C-ya

I actually rather enjoyed the miniseries. The acting was decent (and really, I don't really think I've seen REALLY bad acting except maybe in certain anime dubs). The plot was executed fairly well, not oscar-quality but on par with Babylon 5 and better than Enterprise. I wasn't surprised by anything at all, but then that might be because I read the synopsis beforehand :p It didn't have any really good points, but then it didn't make me openly cringe, either - and frankly, that's all I expect from television nowadays.

I think LOAF noted that they went to some length to make it seem like an alternate-universe continuation of the original series in some ways - in the museum there's a model of the Cylon Legionairre and Basestar from the original series, one of the pilots makes a throwaway reference to the design of the original Cylon Raider, and during the decommisioning ceremony the original series theme blares. Which is weird - does that mean the BGS theme is the national anthem of the Colonies? Also, an Admiral Nogumo is in charge of the Colonial Fleets - didn't he die in Action Stations? :p

The thing that kind of pissed me off was the battle scenes. I actually liked the jerky-motion cam thing, but there weren't enough exploserions - in Battlestar Galactica, there are supposed to be BATTLES. And also, why does the Colonial fleet die in the opening seconds? Just once, could we have a somewhat-straight fight between two fleets instead of a "I USE MY SECRET WEAPON! I WINZOR YUO!!!!111111"?

I enjoyed it, It was decent. Had a few stupid parts(Sex Scenes, DUR. I want Action, not SEX)

And also,
This is also THE FIRST EPISODE!

They have to give some sort of plot. There have been many many many shows out there that the first episode or two, sucked..then got better..So give it time!

Yeah, it was strangely continous with the original series.

But ugh, it was bad. You can see the awful writing session - "Hey, how do we know the Cylons are evil?" "Well... what if... they kill a BABY! For... some reason! Yeah!"

I thought the CGI was poor, too - especially the bit at the beginning with the... explosions. And the Galactica herself. The sets were awesome, though, which is neat, since that's something Sci Fi screwed up with the otherwise far superior Dune miniseries.

(The costumes, though! It's like they knocked over Babylon 5 and a Gap.)

And the sex! When did Ron Moore become a snickering pre-teen?

This is also THE FIRST EPISODE!

They have to give some sort of plot. There have been many many many shows out there that the first episode or two, sucked..then got better..So give it time!

It was the first episode... of a two episode miniseries. I don't think it's physically possible to give it much more time.

Bandit LOAF said:
But ugh, it was bad. You can see the awful writing session - "Hey, how do we know the Cylons are evil?" "Well... what if... they kill a BABY! For... some reason! Yeah!"

According to the official magazine, the idea was more to make the Cylons naive and ignorant of human ways in that scene. Apparently it failed.

It was the first episode... of a two episode miniseries. I don't think it's physically possible to give it much more time.

Well, if it gets picked up for a series ... (which is doubtful .. I've only seen two really positive reviews out of, what, 100?)

My take:

-I like the new Adama, he's pretty good.
-the new Boomer is attractive, but lacks any substance.
-the battle sucked.
-couldn't they come up with anything better than "Ohoho! I have a cheap secret weapon! Bye bye Colonial Fleet!"
-Should have stuck with the old "surprise attack, kill em' all thing."

Oh, and what's up with the "Wing-Commander-ish" combat? Looks like the whole "WWII" style again. Machine guns on the Vipers, gatlings on the Rapiers... same thing... almost.

I thought the Chief was the only person (besides the Captain) on the Galactica who had any form of military bearing, then I found out he was also playing "Hide the Screwdriver" with the Korean chick :(

I don't think 'TOS' can refer to anything but Star Trek.

But the new movie takes place after the original Battelstar Galactica.

ChanceKell said:
Most of the complaints I read from SciFi.com's BSG board is that "Oh, Starbuck is a girl! The Cylons are created by man! IT TOTALLY DESTROYS THE ORIGINAL SERIES!"

I was happily surprised by the female Starbuck. She's probably the most interesting character. I'm really glad that she hasn't tried to mate with Apollo.

Bob McDob said:
I actually liked the jerky-motion cam thing, but there weren't enough exploserions - in Battlestar Galactica, there are supposed to be BATTLES.

I'm not a big fan of that style. I agree that there did need to be far more battles, though. I'm hoping that the second half will accommodate this.

Bandit LOAF said:
I don't think 'TOS' can refer to anything but Star Trek.

I don't see why not.

Bandit LOAF said:
But the new movie takes place after the original Battelstar Galactica.

I'm still fairly confused by that. If it's an attempt at a continuation, why are all the same characters there?

I'm still fairly confused by that. If it's an attempt at a continuation, why are all the same characters there?

It's 40 years later, after the "original" war with the Cylons is over - Fat Mexican Adama is the original Apollo... and his kid is a *new* Apollo.

The other characters are mostly different people with "callsigns" that match the last names of the original pilots.

Incorrect, LOAF.

The new Battlestar doesn't take place after the original series. It's a different thing altogether. Adama's callsign, if I can remember from the Viper "present," is Husky. Could be wrong, but it's not Apollo.

As for the story, it was explained clearly in the show:

Humans created Cylons. Cylons revolted. Cylons looked exactly the same as in the original series, but instead of faking an armistice and making a sneak attack (like in the original series (and much like StarLancer...)), they just leave. That's where the likenesses between the two series ends.

The problem, as far as I can tell, is that people think it's a continuation of the original, much like the 1980s series. But, it's not. I know I'm causing more harm than good here, but it's like how the WC Movie isn't a movie version of the game, but as an alternate story.

ChanceKell said:
Humans created Cylons. Cylons revolted. Cylons looked exactly the same as in the original series, but instead of faking an armistice and making a sneak attack (like in the original series (and much like StarLancer...)),

And Fleet Action!

they just leave. That's where the likenesses between the two series ends.

They actually had an armistice, albeit apparently a non-formal one. That's why they had the armisitice station.

And they didn't really not attack, they just waited thirty years to do so. Which makes more sense than the original series, IMHO ... wait for the civillian and more importantly, the military leaders to let down their guard and then strike with overwhelming force and with s3cr37 w34p0ns!!!!!1111111

ChanceKell said:
Adama's callsign, if I can remember from the Viper "present," is Husky. Could be wrong, but it's not Apollo.

I thought it was Husher, but I could also be wrong. Yours seems to make more sense.

I know I'm causing more harm than good here, but it's like how the WC Movie isn't a movie version of the game, but as an alternate story.

Well, *that* proves your point. Groan.

Back