Thank You!

Bry

Spaceman
To everyone involved in UnknownEnemy .... Thank you for this excellent game! I recently downloaded, it and it took my a few weeks to play itall the way through (and, of course, I had to try and see every possible ending). I wanted to wait until I was finished until posting to avoid any possible spoliers, but now that it's finally through (for now?) I must say I was very impressed. All of the tremendous effort thatmust have gone into this is extremely appreciated!
This braught back the original Wing commander look feel so perfectly. The first time I took off from the Claw (OK, the Dauntless, but in my mind I keep thinking of it as the Tiger's Claw) I must have flown a dozen laps around her, taking in every facet of her beautifully rendered hull. Same goes for the Fralthi. So many tiny details went into making this game just like the Wing Commander I remembered... only so much better. The Scim is still a "gun-heavy slug" that "handles like a pregnant cow" but WOW does it pack a much bigger punch now. And flying the Gratha... Again, thanks for that, it was one of my favorite ships from Wing Commander, and I always hated having to take a group of them on in a damaged fighter... Plus it had a Secret Missions feel to it, kilrathi gauges and all. The full motion video segments were top-notch; even the musical score was modernized in the old Wing Commander style!
Lastly... the difficulty level was just shy of frustrating at times (It took me a bit to realize that damage carries over between missions,which made killing Torpedo runners priority 1) ... and this, too, was spot-on for how I remember Wing Commander from the old days.

I realizeI'm jumping on this pretty late, but I only recently found the website and wanted to let everyone involved know that Wing Commander was the first video game I ever purchased for myself, I played it for years and loved it, and Unknown Enemy captured every bit of the joy and wonder that was Wing Commander to let thatlittle kid that was once me play a few more hours of fantastic Wing Commander goodness.

Excellent work, everyone, my hat is off to you all.

Glad you like it. We have put many, many hours on UE to try to make the coolest experience possible. Everyone had so many idea , from music to mission designs and all, we tried to stuff all we could in it. While it may not have produced a better game, it pushed the limit of what we could do with the WCP engine.

The missions may be hard to beat, but you have no idea on how complex they were to design and code. We had to hack the game to add new in-game functions to be able to make all these cool ideas we had become a reality. (Thanks to Mario 'HCl' Brito who made it all possible).

As an exemple, I coded mission 8. Only mission 8. For this mission I had Mario hack in *7* new functions into the game. Why the hell did I want all those new funtions for ? Well, I had this cool vision of how fun a semi-stealth mission whould be flying the Kilrathi "flying boulder". There had to be a way for the player to stay undetected to the aliens he did play the game wisely and if not get detected. Things like, have the player ordered radio silence the his wingman ? His the player making lots of (very easily) spottable fireworks flying on afterburners ? Etc. Etc. Even something that may seem as simple as having the aliens to fly their normal patrol while ignoring the player (and wingman) in stealth status proved a challenging code to make (and needed a new function).

Now, I suggest you wait for Standoff just as you would have been waiting for Santa at Christmas. Standoff builds on all the research, experience (and new hacks :) ) from Unknown Enemy and will, hopefuly, be much, much better... for many many reasons, to many in fact to be lited here. At least not by me, because I am too lazy to type more :D

Ah! The Rock Fighter! I forgot to mention that!
One of the coolest experiences in the game, sneaking around in the asteroids (Which, thankfully, were nowhere near as dangerously difficult to avoid as in WC1) ... I was expecting it to be a "lightfighter" - having remembered them as a fairly easy kill inWC3, but it turned outto be an incredible ship. Tons of armor, stealth (I played with the "radio silence" but didn't notice they were able to spot my Afterburners - I had absolutely noidea how tough that was to actually make happen) and a stout armament... I replayed that mission several times regaredless of success just to do it all over again; sometimes I'd have to save the Dauntless, sometimes not. It was those subtle but important details that kept me grinning the entire time. In fact, that grin is still here... From what I've been reading, it appears there are more works of this calibre on the horizon - I can't wait!

-EDIT-

I also wanted to comment on the fiction: This greatly enhanced the story. One of the biggest things I remembered from Wing Commander was that it came with the "Claw Marks" on-ship magazine as a sort of manual, sets of blueprints, and all sorts of fiction that immersed me inthe game's universe... that sort of spoiled me on games after that, since I expected the full experience out of everything from that point on. It was great to see that tradition carried on and expanded upon in Unknown Enemy.

PopsiclePete said:
As an exemple, I coded mission 8. Only mission 8. For this mission I had Mario hack in *7* new functions into the game. Why the hell did I want all those new funtions for ? Well, I had this cool vision of how fun a semi-stealth mission whould be flying the Kilrathi "flying boulder". There had to be a way for the player to stay undetected to the aliens he did play the game wisely and if not get detected. Things like, have the player ordered radio silence the his wingman ? His the player making lots of (very easily) spottable fireworks flying on afterburners ? Etc. Etc. Even something that may seem as simple as having the aliens to fly their normal patrol while ignoring the player (and wingman) in stealth status proved a challenging code to make (and needed a new function).

No, you did it because you're mean and like to make HCl do things. I bet you originally asked him for 20 things, then cut them and laughed at him :(

TC said:
No, you did it because you're mean and like to make HCl do things. I bet you originally asked him for 20 things, then cut them and laughed at him :(
Not true, we asked for 30 things!

Back