Taking damage

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
Of all the Wing Commander games there are, taking damage to your ship was the worst in Privateer. When your armor was being hit, it made thee most gut-wrenching sound ever. Like when you're flying missions in asteroid fields and you know you don't want to go too fast so you're flying slow taking damage from all these Talons and the sound it makes is very nerve wracking.

I'd also say that the asteroids in Privateer were the most deadly.

Shipgate said:

Nope. WC1 SNES. Instant kill. Mines, too. Touch one, and you're dead. No matter how fast (or slow), or at what angle. You're dead.

The asteroids around the secret Kilrah refueling base in WC3 must have been made of chalk, I could barely scratch the Excalibur on them even when I tried.

I remember the best way to deal with WC1 mines was to afterburn through them so they didn't have a chance to magnetically stick to you.

I just started playing WC4 again and I was getting mad at missile damage. I just beat WC3 and it seemed like if I took a missile hit with full shields, I would survive. I might be really messed up, but I would still be alive. Not WC4. 1 hit, you're done. I feel like like such a rookie to the game as I have played the 4th mission 3 times and still haven't gotten past it. Stupid missiles. :mad:

Cycle through the targets until you find the one labeled "ace" and take him out first. He's the asshole pumping all those missiles at you.

yeah, and fly low, launch an ImRec, wait for the turret to die, then take out the fighters. if you fly low, chances are that the missle will hit the ground when it turns around to hit ya. of course you'll have to dodge it at first then itll work.

Oh yeah. I learned my lesson about the missile turrets on the first attempt. For some reason I just keep having bad luck and getting nailed by a missile from a Vindicator. I'll get past it tonight for sure.

McGruff said:
I remember the best way to deal with WC1 mines was to afterburn through them so they didn't have a chance to magnetically stick to you.

Another option is to go "offroad" and avoid the mines or asteroids fields! ;)

Shipgate said:
Of all the Wing Commander games there are, taking damage to your ship was the worst in Privateer. When your armor was being hit, it made thee most gut-wrenching sound ever. Like when you're flying missions in asteroid fields and you know you don't want to go too fast so you're flying slow taking damage from all these Talons and the sound it makes is very nerve wracking.

While I agree that the sound was horrible and asteroids in Priv quite deadly, I'd say that in WC1/2 damage to ship components was the most affecting: who doesn't remember his Hornet with only 1 Laser left (or none!), the Ion drive hit, flying under 300 kps, being in a Broadsword with the targeting computer destroyed and that mission objective cap ship still alive, the radar screen destroyed and that loveable "Eject"-signal. That was intense. Though the viewscreen damage in WC3/4 could be pretty annoying too but without being so charming as the damage in WC1/2.

Quite true. And, I noticed, in later games, you didn't take "damage" to your tracking. Your radar screen cracked, but you could always still lock on. And, later, you never took damage to Acceleration Absorbers, which I thought was a neat thing to see, even though you never felt the effects of it.

They could simulate a "black out" to you when your acceleration absorber was destroyed. But considereíng that it was always the first to get destroyed it would probably make the game much less fun. Wasn't the "Acceleration absorber destroyed" some kind of warning: Look, your internal systems are getting damaged. This time it's only a useless system, next time it will be your Ion drive! Better be careful".

Good point. There were a lot of things that could have been programmed into WC games that weren't. Depressurization of your cockpit. Damaging of your person (aside from when your ship blows up). I thought that Privateer hit on something really neat with the damaging of your maneuvaring thrusters. That was frustrating, infuriating, and really cool.

I was always satisfied with the Arcade style of WC 1 and 2. I don't really recall the damage system in Armada, were there any "cool damages"?

When playing WC1-2 I dont take any cockpit damage, the status screens will stop working, but nothing is destroyed.
Do you have any idea what causes this.

What are you talking about, exactly?
I did think the ship handled a bit worse without the Accel Abs. But that could have been my imagination.

Edfilho said:
What are you talking about, exactly?

Screen does not blow up, the radar can survive the entire mission. (my radar always got blown up in academy) the only thing i can lose is target track.

The one that aggrevated me the most was in Privateer 1 when the communications thingie would always break. If you didn't have the repair robot, you couldn't repair it at any of the bases and it would always make that crackling sound. Once you bought the robot, it wasn't a problem but for the first couple of hours when you were still in the Taurus, it became a pain in the butt.

Back