Taking damage

I could have sworn in WC1 if you lose your acceleration absorbers, ramming wasn't an option. You would most likely die since you fighter couldn't handle the stress of the impact and the sudden deceleration (either that or the guy inside).

I think a hintbook I had bought for source material said something about that.

NoMention said:
The one that aggrevated me the most was in Privateer 1 when the communications thingie would always break. If you didn't have the repair robot, you couldn't repair it at any of the bases and it would always make that crackling sound. Once you bought the robot, it wasn't a problem but for the first couple of hours when you were still in the Taurus, it became a pain in the butt.

Umm . . . communications could be easily repaired at any ship dealer. If I recall correctly, you had to go into the software booth to get it repaired. At least, I'm decently sure it was like that. It's been a while since I played it.

Dyret said:
When playing WC1-2 I dont take any cockpit damage, the status screens will stop working, but nothing is destroyed.
Do you have any idea what causes this.

Do you have EMS memory activated (use EMM386 without NOEMS option). At least WC1 needed EMS for the damage effects to work (and also for the steering hand to be displayed). Funny that the game got harder that way if you got a better PC...
Also if you run WC1/2 with the origin switch there is a key that has one component blow up each time. Don't remember the key. Something like ALT or CTRL + i, j or k.

You should still see cockpit damage without EMS memory. I never had it on my 286 and I still saw the cockpit damage when I played the original Wing Commander 1.

overmortal said:
Umm . . . communications could be easily repaired at any ship dealer. If I recall correctly, you had to go into the software booth to get it repaired. At least, I'm decently sure it was like that. It's been a while since I played it.

Yep there is a repair option in the software stores. Pretty easy to miss as you'd figure the repair dealer would fix the communications as well.
All this time you've had to put up with the crackling hehe. :(

I remember it took me a few days when I first started playing Privateer to figure that one out. Of course, I'm reasonably sure that was before this place existed.

missiles in wc4 used to drive me crazy...one missile would destroy all but the heaviest of fighters it seemed like...

It's not so much realism as it is a gameplay feint. Since you're fighting the same classes of ships that you're flying the game makes everything much weaker than it was in WCIII... so your only advantage over the regular AI is the ~250 or so damage unit bonus the engine gives the player character.

So that even a razor can kill you if you let that missile he lauched slip past your countermeasures.

Shield dynamics

It's even funny to me how badly you could damge another ship or get damaged yourself by ramming a ship. Whereas in Privateer 2 you just gently bounce off it and that heavenly voice says impact. How come there were no asteroids in Privateer 2?

Video game players hate games that are hard, so asteroids were gradually nerfed into non existence from 1993 on.

Its always funny fighting in astroids debris, especially in multipalyer in game like xwing alliance, swinging around the astroids to get rockets of my tail... æ

Back