System Shock Enhanced Edition Released; Look Back At Wing 0 Minigame (September 29, 2015)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
With all of the excitement over Wing Commander 1 this past weekend, it's been easy to overlook another classic Origin (via Looking Glass) game in the news. An enhanced version of System Shock was released last week. While this famous RPG/shooter deserves a major spot in gaming history on just its own merits, the CD version of the game also added a fantastic Wing Commander minigame! You can find a full writeup of the game's thirteen missions, read what the various wingmen said and download a savegame with the minigame unlocked here.

The original disk version of System Shock included a number of mini-games you could collect during the game's cyberspace mode and then play whenever you had a quiet moment. These were small, simple games that loaded in the player's left VDU - versions of things like Pong and Tic-Tac-Toe. For the subsequent CD version of System Shock the designers went all out and included a major homage to Wing Commander: Wing 0, a tiny Wing Commander shooter.

Wing 0 features a 13-mission campaign complete with traditional Wing Commander plot elements: wingmen, speech, traitors, nav points, talking heads, familiar fighters, autopilot flybys, lasers, dogfights and so on... all done in a 148x139 corner screen!
----------------------------

"...for the CD game I outdid myself with a relatively complete Wing Commander minigame, Wing 0--written just before Wing 3 was released, it's both an homage and a parody, featuring, for example, one pacifistic wingman who refuses to fight (and strangely never gets attacked either, because he's actually a traitor!!!), a mission where you get something like 8 wingmen, and a final 'aww, what the heck, let's send you out by yourself to defeat their entire armada' mission."

The easter eggs didn't just go one way. WC3's Victory Streak also included a review of the Hail SHODAN holovid movie, which references the main antagonist of the earlier game.

--
Original update published on September 29, 2015

Last edited by a moderator:
just tried it out. the savegame file works but it puts me right in front of a bunch of enemies. I tried for a while to clear them out but no luck. Seems if I get hit once I die lol. Also to note this save file didn't put me in a WC setting it was regular gameplay from system shock. Anyone actually get to play to WC 0 missions on here? I would love some help on this. I took the gog version of the game and applied the save file. Did this in both the classic and enhanced editions. Save file works, loads, then I'm in the middle of a regular level in system shock with a ton of enemies around. Thanks in advanced for any help.

just tried it out. the savegame file works but it puts me right in front of a bunch of enemies. I tried for a while to clear them out but no luck. Seems if I get hit once I die lol. Also to note this save file didn't put me in a WC setting it was regular gameplay from system shock. Anyone actually get to play to WC 0 missions on here?

The minigames are not full screen games. It should just appear as a tiny player screen in the corner. Is there a game player in your inventory you can open up? If you get it going, please share some screenshots!

I finally got it working. Chris Reid you nailed it. It was on bottom right video display. I recorded video of 45 minutes of game play and about 15 missions(I think). I couldn't find anything on Wing 0 online except for what is on this website so I figured I'd share it with all of you who are interested. It's processing right now so when it's done I'll post it here.

Back