Surprise! Happy Arena-Day! (July 21, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Xbox 360 Fanboy recently ran a report about the Wing Commander Arena manual release... and ended it with an interesting hint. It sounds like they've got some kind of surprise in store for us:
Also, we want to dangle a metaphorical carrot in front of your face by saying that we have some exciting news surround Wing Commander Arena in the weeks to come. It's a small surprise, but a surprise that is exciting nonetheless. Anyway, that's all we are saying, so stay tuned.
A Wing Commander Arena surprise? Sounds more like a metaphorical Twix than a carrot! This should be a lot of fun - who knows what could show up? We'll have to keep watching their news page!

... and this just in! The very same site has published another update with eleven new Arena screenshots and an informal confirmation from EA that the game is indeed coming on 7/25! Hurray! They're still promising a surprise, too!

--
Original update published on July 21, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm crossing my fingers that it's some really cool DLC. I would really love to see Nephilim fighters as flyable craft in the game. Plus in Star Soldier on page 33 there are pictures of all the Nephilim craft under the heading "The Enemy can appear Any Time and Anywhere".....a hint at things to come perhaps?

I'd bet the farm on DLC... but probably not *immediately*. EA is nervous about scaring people off, after their early experiences.

I'd bet the farm on DLC... but probably not *immediately*. EA is nervous about scaring people off, after their early experiences.

Judging by the concept art, my guess is that the Centurion and Gothri are on the way.

I hate that I'll miss out on this game but it is soooo cool that at least I have something like this to be excited about!

Judging by the concept art, my guess is that the Centurion and Gothri are on the way.

I hate that I'll miss out on this game but it is soooo cool that at least I have something like this to be excited about!

You're probably right. I wonder if there will be one version of each ship or three like all the other Arena ships.

The very same site has published another update with eleven new Arena screenshots and an informal confirmation from EA that the game is indeed coming on 7/25! Hurray! They're still promising a surprise, too!
Woohoo!!! Things are just getting better and better! I'm also hoping for some nice Arena-themed gamer pictures to replace that panda of mine. :D

Oh man, I am already bursting with excitement about the Arena release, now they add even more anticipation to it!

While I am totally in favour of new ships to download, I'd hope for it come a bit later.
It will be some time until we know the 18 ships by heart and then, they can give us something new, to keep the interest high.

Nephlim ships, I didn't think about it. But there are some unknown silhouettes showing in the manual...

Oh man, I am already bursting with excitement about the Arena release, now they add even more anticipation to it!

While I am totally in favour of new ships to download, I'd hope for it come a bit later.
It will be some time until we know the 18 ships by heart and then, they can give us something new, to keep the interest high.

That's how most companies do it. There's a lot of thought involved about the best time to post addons. If you do it right away, it can be overlooked and won't do anything to increase the longevity of the game. If they hold off for the right time (and they can track how many people are playing it for so long), then it'll give the game some good legs. People will be more apt to buy it when they're well used to all the old ships, and reinvigorating a game at that point will also entice additional buyers.

That might also be a good time to add achievements. It's possible to add 50 more points worth of material to Arcade games after release now.

Nephlim ships, I didn't think about it. But there are some unknown silhouettes showing in the manual...

I might be kind of afraid to fly a Nephilim ship. Virus, iron maiden and so forth.

That's how most companies do it. There's a lot of thought involved about the best time to post addons. If you do it right away, it can be overlooked and won't do anything to increase the longevity of the game. If they hold off for the right time (and they can track how many people are playing it for so long), then it'll give the game some good legs. People will be more apt to buy it when they're well used to all the old ships, and reinvigorating a game at that point will also entice additional buyers.

That might also be a good time to add achievements. It's possible to add 50 more points worth of material to Arcade games after release now.

They'll know how to do it, I am sure. :)

I might be kind of afraid to fly a Nephilim ship. Virus, iron maiden and so forth.

Well, you have to pay some price and it will only add to the immersion! :)

Very smart disease...

Back