Super Wing Commander

Iceman16

Vice Admiral
hey, so I bought this game when I was 12 not knowing that it was only for macs and back then almost no one did however I've got a mac now and want to try out Super Wing Commander. It doesnt work at all on this comp, says something about not being able to run Classic environment so I tried DOSBox but I have no clue what I'm doing really, I've only used PCs. does anyone know what to type in? I cant find any directories to put in so any help would be great. thanks!

I don't know much about old-school MacIntoshes. I don't think SWC would be able to run in the modern UNIX-like Mac OSX. It certainly won't run in DOSBox, that emulates a PC-system with DOS, not pre-OSX Macs.

Sadly, Wedge is correct--Super Wing Commander will not run on a modern Mac. OS X doesn't have a "System 7 Compatibility Mode" like newer Windows' have.

There has also been a major shift in architecture. In SWC's time, Macs were based on an entirely different type of chip... which means it's a lot harder to come up with a working emulator.

I hope the sad part is the newer Macs not running SWC, not me being right. o.o

As I understand it, older Macs were PowerPC-based. It's only when they shifted to Intel CPUs that there was a greater cross-over between PCs and Macs.

ah damn, well that sucks, I was looking forward to trying SWC. Is there any way to run it on a PC then? Perhaps an emulator that simulates an old Mac system?

Never tried Mac emulators. There are some hints from zophar.net, but I don't know how up to date they are. Of course, a general Internet search will yield plenty of hits on Macintosh emulators.

If you're still interested, I posted the other day about using Basilisk to emulate a 68k cpu or sheepsaver for a powerpc to run os7 (which you can get freely from apples website) and then running swc on it - it's worth trying, it's quite interesting if you're a wc1 officionado anyway :D

Back