Suggestions for UE 2

PopsiclePete said:
Well, cloaking might not yet be possible and may never be... but WC2-style capship battles is possible. If you make caphips made entirely of one component (or have the core mesh wrapped in a component mesh) and have a big gun or the turret guns flagged as "can hurt capships", capships would be able to shoot themselves to death.

We discussed it before for Standoff but of Eder made design decision to keep multiple component capships because he felt the multiple component aspect of WCP/SO capships was a fun aspect of the game that he wanted to keep in Standoff. Capship battles can be scripted anyway.

Make it the big guns only, preferably. Also, couldn't the capship aim for something else if one component is down? UE already has something, only that it's a bit unfair (Destroyer rapes transports, must kill all gun turrets before it gets close, and love the UE capship music).

As for the request of new missions, in UE you know that you fly 10 tedious missions, then it's over. In Standoff, you fly 6-7 exciting mission, then you can expect a new chapter and (currently) plenty of simulator fun. More than half of UE's simulator missions have no longevity, I hope Standoff will be different in that point.

I really don't understand that extreme aversion against the Nephilem. The storyline just started and has about the depth the WC1 Kilrathi had. Provided that whatever team would do UE2 would also expand upon the Bugs I don't see them being boring at all. I have multiple ideas for storylines that would not look like being directly ripped off other bug movies.

Pete some of the most major issues with the Vision engine:

Poor collision detection
Limited to 16bit colour on ATI systems
Outdated visual effects

These may never be overcome.

I gotta agree that while we still haven't pushed the Vision engine to the limit (there's still enough new stuff we could squeeze in there, trust me), it's just getting too old. It's not the best engine to release a game on nowadays, IMHO.

There's too many instability issues, and just plain outdated graphics. Standoff runs slower than games which have a lot more detail, just because the engine wasn't designed to handle the kind of detail we've put in it.

If we had something which could read the same file formats (the ones that interest us, anyway, like missions) directly and run it with support for more and newer gimmicks (say... bump maps, spec maps, high-res video, updated AI, updated collision detection for capships.... alpha-mapped menus, Pierre! :p), then we'd be on to something. You could take another 3 years to make a UE2 with lots and lots of missions, and it'd look great and run on most people's computers when it came out. :p

Eder said:
I gotta agree that while we still haven't pushed the Vision engine to the limit (there's still enough new stuff we could squeeze in there, trust me), it's just getting too old. It's not the best engine to release a game on nowadays, IMHO.

There's too many instability issues, and just plain outdated graphics. Standoff runs slower than games which have a lot more detail, just because the engine wasn't designed to handle the kind of detail we've put in it.

If we had something which could read the same file formats (the ones that interest us, anyway, like missions) directly and run it with support for more and newer gimmicks (say... bump maps, spec maps, high-res video, updated AI, updated collision detection for capships.... alpha-mapped menus, Pierre! :p), then we'd be on to something. You could take another 3 years to make a UE2 with lots and lots of missions, and it'd look great and run on most people's computers when it came out. :p
Not to say I'm at the level of the vision engine, but FC can at least read its ship, mesh, and mats via a converter. But you guys at least might consider either Flight Commander (once I rewrite the AI) or Vega Strike, as for these we're able to actively modify the engine source to accomodate new features. It's always nice to be able to email a developer and say "We need feature xyz, how long will it take to add?".

Sadly I have to say at this point in its development Flight Commander really hasn't excelled Prophecy in graphics department.
Vega Strike would require major reworkings to accuratley replicate the Wing Commander look and feel.

Whatever engine we use and where ever it comes from it would have to immitate Prophecy down the minutest detail except for the areas where it was to excel it.

How about the Freespace 2 engine? Sure, it's not original anymore since WC Saga is doing that, but it has a lot of potential. Imagine Freespace's engine with WC's gameplay. That would be awesome...

Of all the different possibilities, FS2 is the very last one I'd support. A new engine is one thing, but switching from modding one outdated engine (which at least is WC) to a slightly less outdated engine (which is not WC) would be pretty silly.

Back