StarCraft Remastered announced

You can zoom out in observer mode or during a replay.

Ahh. I'm feeling like the emphasis on reviving the e-sports scene, not risking any changes, has kind of left me out in the cold. I'm happy with SC2's multiplayer; like Halo for me SC1 had infinitely superior singleplayer (especially Brood War) and SC2 nailed online. I was really just hoping for a more polished, slightly more up to to date singleplayer. As it is it feels clunky in a way I don't remember it feeling (having not played it in a decade).
With zero gameplay tweaks, not even optional stuff for single player only I'm feeling a bit like I'm playing the game on an emulator with a decent filter.

I need to be careful about what I say here. I'm not an official spokesman for Blizzard. I haven't been authorized to speak for the company. Anything I say here or elsewhere is just my own opinion. If you're looking for the official line on anything, please go to the Blizzard forums and ask there. I can answer technical questions, and perhaps give some insight into the development process, but design isn't something I can really talk about.

That said: You're right about multiplayer being the focus here. Decisions made in support of the multiplayer experience also define the single player experience because we didn't want to introduce a new disconnect between the two, and because this is a small team with limited resources and tight deadlines. I personally am a big fan of StarCraft's campaign; it's what made me want to work at Blizzard in the first place. Now that the remaster is available, I plan to set aside some time to go through it myself. If you're looking for a more modern experience with the campaign, maybe give Mass Recall a shot. It's a fan recreation of the original campaign in the SC2 engine.

We're not about to stop working on StarCraft: Remastered. I imagine there will be numerous patches bringing some significant changes in the future.

Thanks for the reply, don't say anything you shouldn't - it was just my moment of realization that I wasn't the target audience. The decisions made all make sense in context.

I've made my way through the initial terran campaign (and enjoyed myself) - seems like a good time to try Mass Recall out and compare - I've seen it before but it was early in development.

Back