Star Wars the old Republic

Youngblood

Rear Admiral
Ok so im tempted to give this a try anyone here play? I just dont want to spend my cash and find out I dont like it.

I played it for a few months, and here's what I liked and didn't like:

- I had much fun leveling because I like story. If you don't like story you're in the wrong game.
- space combat is a rail shooter and becomes boring very quickly unfortunately.
- didn't try PvP so dunno. I heard it isn't well balanced but they wanted to change it
- If you played WoW you will be disappointed by the dungeons. I had a lot of fun the first few times. In fact it was the lack of a good endgame that made me quit the game a month after I got to 50
- The gameplay is too similar to WoW for my taste, but I think most people like it. I would have preferred something... different, like AoC or GW2 do it.
- the graphics engine looks ok
- the crafting system is similar to WoW but not that boring, which is good. Unfortunately on high levels there are very few good items to craft.
- Story, story, story. I liked the personal story of the soldier and the Jedi Knight. Jedi Sage wasn't that good but also well done. I heard the one for the smuggler is very funny. Having your own ship and your comrades on board feels really good. It's really like KotOR.
- My reason to quit was mainly that I had a guild with RL friends of mine. When they quit I became very bored, because I don't like to play with people I don't know and there isn't much to do in the game when you are alone.

The game has been bleeding players at an alarming rate. I agree with some people's idea saying this game is the death knell of the MMO gaming world: too much money spent, barely enough players to make it profitable. As someone better than I once pointed out - No one cares about TOR because no one cares about Expanded Universe anymore. All it ever is is the same Star Wars saga over and over again played out in a different time with Luke's ancestors or great-grandchildren.

There was also some fallout with Galaxy players. And that game was in a sad state when I logged in two years ago.

Its sad. I love little in life more than Star Wars and this game just didn't become what we all hoped.

I think youtube often really doesn't get the gameplay around right. I think playing something yourself is still the best way to judge if you like it. But it is a start, that's right.

Back