Star Citizen Makes Half a Billion Dollars (September 21, 2022)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Star Citizen has surpassed the $500 million crowdfunding threshold! It's probably not a milestone even Chris Roberts could have imagined back when the project kicked off in October 2012, but the Roberts Space Industries engine continues to print money. It's not even slowing down - the most recent $100 million has come in just the last ten months. At that pace, they're on track to hit a cool billion dollars in just about four more years. It's hard to fathom how they could even spend that much money on development, but I'm sure they'll find a way. All of this is just in time for the 10th anniversary of the game's unveiling. They will be celebrating a Digital CitizenCon to celebrate on October 8!

Thanks to Dennis Mull for the tip!

--
Original update published on September 21, 2022

Oceankhayne

Rear Admiral
"I'm sure they'll find a way." You're right about that. I'm sure a lot of us here were backers back in 2012. Golden ticket holders one and all. $100 million in ten months. Ridiculous. I've sold off most of my 'pledges' to other suckers already. I'm keeping one or two in the off chance that they ever release, but let's face it, none of us are getting any younger and I know for certain at least one wing commander fan has passed away in the ten years since she backed the game. What a crap shoot.

I'm still waiting for the headline of Roberts passing after a confrontation with some uber fan that backed to the tune of 30k or some such nonsense. At this point I hope it crashes and burns so I can watch the meltdown and aftermath.