Squadron 42 Cast Revealed; Hamill & Rhys-Davis Again Voicing Space Sim Characters (October 10, 2015)

I didn't want to be the first to post something negative, and I didn't have the time either.
Now that Quarto was here to take the fire , I'd like to add some stuff:
- I like Gary Oldman, really, but I also thought his voice was a bit too weak there.
- I didn't mind the camerawork, but I rarely do, even when it is strange (looking at you, BSG!).

But... I kind of disliked the speech itself. It sounds really cheesy to me. Please excuse me that I say it that way, my american friends, but in Germany many people call that kind of speech a "typical american speech" and dislike it a lot.
I remember having a discussion back in the Saga days, when we talked about the voiceovers of one of the trailers.
Some team members didn't mind, but to me for example that trailer sounded so ridiculously over the top that it was cringe-worthy.
Tolwyn realized that especially europeans could dislike it, and toned it down quite a bit. The result looked pretty good IMO.
When talking about movies the same thing happens to me regularly.
Examples:
- "Independence Day"
- "Avatar"
- "Armageddon"
I am of course aware that many people don't mind at all.
In fact talking to people on the web and in person I noticed that a considerable number of people - most of them americans as far as I can tell - actually like that kind of speech.
The speech in that trailer is very close to being cringe-worthy. To me it sounds very cheesy.

No offence, but I just find it funny that one of the films you mention as an example of "American speech" was actually written by a German

hehe, none taken. :)
The point still holds, because it was done for an American audience, and it is a typical one of those speeches. It was the first one that came to mind.
Also I think the main writer and producer was Dean Devlin, who is from New York. I don't know whether Emmerich (who was co-writer) wrote the speech or he did it.

You're assuming people listen to Derek Smart in the first place
Unfortunately, they do. One of the other forums I visit regularly is a closed-off forum for games industry professionals, and I was much surprised to find some people there - experienced, even very experienced developers from both large and small companies - who gave more credence to Derek Smart than to Chris Roberts. The simple reality is that it's relatively easy to naysay about Star Citizen, and given Chris Roberts' track record for game delays, Derek Smart's accusations may appear credible to some people (as I think I've mentioned in another thread here). Incredibly, it seems that even pointing out how Derek Smart is a notorious liar, produces the response of "yeah, he is, but..."

One more thing about speech and cheesiness. What many people find cheesy in fiction, can have a really strong impact in real life. As for the fact that admiral here sounds old, just listen to last part of his speech, and compare them to words once said by a 65 years old man to a parliament of his country

I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival.

I doubt that similarity is accidental.

EDIT honestly, only after posting I realize that in fact admiral is quoting Churchill directly, even though I saw similarity immediately

Last edited:
Agreed. He's only getting any attention because of this "incident". I remember Battlecruiser 3000... I was young/dumb enough to buy it... tried playing it once, and it has stayed in a CD sleeve for well over a decade. Until this, I didn't know he was responsible for that trainwreck.

It all comes down to a simple mentality, in my opinion. You can have Star Citizen now, or you can have Star Citizen done right... but not both. Sure, we've waited (and will continue to wait) for this game, but that's what we signed on for. I've backed the game since the Golden Ticket, and from what I've seen, it's been worth every penny (and will continue to be so).

From the perspective of "just an aging gamer", someone says "Chris Roberts", I think the entirety of the Wing Commander series, nostalgia sets in, and I'll go play the games again. Someone says "Derek Smart", I'll have to wiki that.... oh, he hasn't really done anything of note, except this one steaming pile of dog crap that I played once and hated. The old "fool me once" saying comes to mind.

Last edited:
Its the age old developer's triangle: you can have it fast, cheap, or done correctly, at best you get to pick two.
Hehe, that reminds me of my old professor explaining construction procurement to us exactly the same way;
"Speed, Quality, Cost, pick two"
if Speed & Cost are most important use Design and Build
if Speed & Quality are most important use Management Contracting
if Quality & Cost are most important use Traditional, Architect led."
Plus that little triangle image has always stuck in my mind for over 13 years. any way, I am rambling and digressing.

Its the age old developer's triangle: you can have it fast, cheap, or done correctly, at best you get to pick two.

"Fast" and "Cheap" are out...

Like I said, after seeing the strides made with Squadron 42, and my recent upgrade to an F7C-M, I'm still as on-board as I was when I got a Golden Ticket.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, they do. One of the other forums I visit regularly is a closed-off forum for games industry professionals, and I was much surprised to find some people there - experienced, even very experienced developers from both large and small companies - who gave more credence to Derek Smart than to Chris Roberts. The simple reality is that it's relatively easy to naysay about Star Citizen, and given Chris Roberts' track record for game delays, Derek Smart's accusations may appear credible to some people (as I think I've mentioned in another thread here). Incredibly, it seems that even pointing out how Derek Smart is a notorious liar, produces the response of "yeah, he is, but..."

No offense but the whole "I know people you don't know and they're saying things you can't see..." stuff stopped having any weight in middle school :)

That said, it could be Bill Gates for all I care - if they're unwilling to support this guy publicly, then their opinion ain't worth wiping my shoe on.

No offense but the whole "I know people you don't know and they're saying things you can't see..." stuff stopped having any weight in middle school :)
Not among mature adults, it hasn't. Most people, I find, are quite understanding to the fact that just because you're unable to say who said something, that doesn't mean the message should be ignored. To me, it seems rather silly to pretend that people's opinions are irrelevant just because you don't know them.

Opinions and facts are two separate things. I can trust someone's opinion when they can't back it up readily, but not the same when people state "facts", but then can't reveal any sources.

I can say, "I hated Battlecruiser 3000", and have zero to back it up, but you can take it to the bank that I hated that game.

I cannot say "Derek Smart single-handedly drove the space sim genre into the ground, and is an egotistical crybaby", without providing factual evidence to support the claim... that is if I want anyone to lend any credence to my claim.

Back