*spoiler alert* do I have to play Tayla's game ?

Zortok

Spaceman
I am trying to avoid the crim aspect of taylas missions and have been looking for a way round the identification of the artifact in the remake plot, I have wasted hours on it and am getting fed up.

I have been told of Oxford by barmen but cant use the library (ironic since in RL I am a member of the Bodleian!)

I have heard of an academic archeologist in Palan but can't find him there, so whats his email ? ;)

I have heard of a ship called Rhombus hacking the library in Oxford but it is nowhere to be found between Oxford and Palan.

I have been invited to blow up a transport of valuable literature entering Oxford (unthinkable!)

I have heard of the feud between the gangster in New Constantinople and the pirate chief but cant find the gangster anywhere or Miggs his henchman to help him put the squeeze on Tayla

Are these just empty prompts unconnected to plot in the remake due to its beta-ish state or should they be providing me with a way through ? Do I have to do Taylas missions to progress? I am getting no contact with any characters associated with these hints after Sandoval and Tayla, is it busted?

Zortok said:
Are these just empty prompts unconnected to plot in the remake due to its beta-ish state or should they be providing me with a way through ? Do I have to do Taylas missions to progress? I am getting no contact with any characters associated with these hints after Sandoval and Tayla, is it busted?

You have to play Sandoval to get to Tayla to get to the ganster and so on.

Beta-ish state is slightyl harsh; the campaign works quite well and was tested extensively. It is linear, so go do Tayla's bidding and you will run into all of the other unsavory characters the bartenders are talking about. Part of the intrigue of the campaign is that it forces you to be "bad".

It would be nice if there was a multi-path way to solve main quest... but that would be a rather different game than original Privateer was.

The only advice to soften the impact of Tayla's missions on your reputation is to not to fight militia/confed forces but run at full speed and take a couple of bounty missions for retro/pirates/Kilrathi afterwards.

thanks, I was wondering because I read on the net that the original Privateer was allegedly non linear.

as for the "beta-ish" comment, I wasnt trying to be nasty, I think its a wonderful project and am enjoying the game as it is and was a little confused at the linear / non-linear plot issue. As a noob I may be confusing features with bugs etc but there is quite a long bug list on this very board, you have to admit. I added the -ish because it is definitely better than a fresh beta, I have done a fair bit of beta testing so I dont regard it as an insult, just a necessary step on a long journey.

The plot itslef is linear. The game, however, is completely non-linear. meaning you can go wherever you want and do whatever you want at any time (i.e. be a mercenary, a pirate, a merchant, a good guy, a bad guy, etc.).

Well, if hellcatv & co. are going to implenent "alternate" routes for fixer missions, it'll be a top secret easteregg in the next version or the version after that.

(The PR staff is likely to deny that, of course.)

hehe wishful thinking hey Panda ?

it just struck me as a complete noob to the game that I might be getting the different hints to alternative ways to ID the artifact from barmen because they were available and that I had to make a decision about the means I would use. I wasnt sure if the designers had been that progressive, though I knew it would have been unusual if they had.

trouble with scripting multiple routes, you only get a fraction of the game play for the work compared to a straight linear plot where all the scripting is used, but on the other hand you would get increased replayability. Its easy to imagine what could be done, but making it happen is a lot of work so I am happy to accept things as they are for now.

the campaign in the game that's remade is completely linear.
the campaign that is NEW (i.e. the one we added starting from tingerhoff) branches 3 times... so yes--the engine has nonlinear campaigns, you just have to find them
but to pass linear campaigns, you must do them in order, hence the reason they are linear

KillerBeer said:
It would be nice if there was a multi-path way to solve main quest... but that would be a rather different game than original Privateer was.

The only advice to soften the impact of Tayla's missions on your reputation is to not to fight militia/confed forces but run at full speed and take a couple of bounty missions for retro/pirates/Kilrathi afterwards.

I finished the original Privateer without ever killing any Confed or Militia pilots. Lots of running. If you do that, they forgive you immediately in the original.

Back