Soundtrack

Tolwyn

Vice Admiral
Wing Commander Saga seeks to continue the WC tradition by recreating music from the original games and adding new compositions which remain true to the spirit of the originals.

For today’s update, we have included a conceptual sample of some of the new music that will be featured in WC Saga. Our composer, Ed, gives the following explanation:

“The ‘Unused Ideas’ track is essentially three different tracks stitched together. None of these will feature in either the Prologue or the full campaign. I made them to try and get a feel for how I wanted the music to go. I felt the first section started sounding more Freelancer than Wing Commander, the second section was too ‘happy’ sounding to me, and more like WC4 than WC3 which is what I wanted, and I thought the last section sounded too much like a Star Trek score!

The Prologue originally was going to have original in-flight music, but I decided it was best to wait for the main release as it’s not just a big job to write all those different cues but you also have to make sure they all fit together musically and make sense in the game. The "in-flight" track is another example of me experimenting to see how I would approach this. While the main campaign’s music will likely sound quite different than it, it’s probably the most Wing Commander sounding! Anyway, I thought some of you might find the ‘outtakes’ interesting. So, thanks for listening!"

http://wcsaga.com/downloads/music/WCSaga_unused_ideas.mp3

Well I listened to both tracks and I have no problem saying both scores sounded pretty good to me. Obviously as a WC fan I'd like to hear the original music but I like to hear good fan created tracks. The second score that you posted Ed was extremely good I like what I heard. Good atmosphere music. I'd have no problem hearing it especially when you are flying on patrol (not during combat obviously). Very well mixed, well done. I liked both songs a lot but the second song had more to it in my amateurish opinion.

They both sound great. I think people will really enjoy them.

Personaly I thought that both tracks were great. And there were strinking similarities between that music and the music from wc3, particualry the cromatic strings in the backround and the instruments used. I dont know who is composing/compiling your music but I tip my hat to them. Definatly not shody

Its late where Im at but Ive been wondering Ive seen just about every thing you guys have released to the public and I know you guys are going gor the wing commander 3 era. Just curious while you guys are play testing this mod how much does it feel like your playing wing commander 3? Does it seem pretty close to the wing commander 3 and 4 gameplay or is it just freespace with wing commander ships? I see it looks a heck of alot like Wing commander but I was curious does it feel like your playing wing commander?

I do think you guys are doing one hell of a job keep up the good work. Also is there anything you wish could be changed to make freespace open more wing commanderish and if so what?

IMO (and in the other guys opinion too) our game is very close to orginal WC-Gameplay (and in most points even better as far as the engine goes). Only our autopilot is different and since we are not able to make so many cutscenes (otherwise we will really need decades to finish) we have a lot of chatter in the missions to present the characters and the situation (and the provided story will do the rest to present the characters).

And except for maybe the briefingpart (though we have a new interface) there isn't much freespace left in our game :) As for the briefing, maybe (just maybe) we get something more in "motion" for the main-campaign, depends on the coding guys.

To your question what we would like to have it more like wing-commander, we have quite a long list of code-request, but they are uncertain if anything will be available.

My top 4 are these wishes :

1) A working animated stealth-system for AI-Fighters
2) The bright flash effect when a capship explodes. There is something in the original code from volition, but unfortunately it's not working correct (the flash is to slow and stays too long).
3) The "motion" briefing I mentioned above. I need a overwork of the original interface positions for that one
4) better working surface-shields for capships

I'm a year or so late to the thread, but I just have to say that the music so far is amazingly good. Very professional.

Back