Sonic the Hedgehog Movie Trailer

Holy shit. I can't believe this. When I wrote this a couple of months ago, I was blissfully convinced that any talk of a Top Gun sequel would remain just talk, because, you know, it's just such a stupid idea.

I'm somewhat amazed that anyone on the internet didn't know this was coming since it was announced three years ago.

I'm somewhat amazed that anyone on the internet didn't know this was coming since it was announced three years ago.
That may be true, but at the time I thought it was a load of horseshit. You know, like when people announce the coming second season of Firefly. Sounds like I wasn't the only person who thought that...

That's the thing. I'd heard so many times about the Top Gun sequel, that I'd come to assume it's basically one of those films that's always in development, but never actually comes to fruition.

That may be true, but at the time I thought it was a load of horseshit. You know, like when people announce the coming second season of Firefly.

If you can't tell the difference between a PR announcement on CNN from a major movie studio and some go-nowhere, know-nothing fanpost on Reddit, I dunno what to tell you...

Well, he does look more like the Sonic from the games.
Hopefully the people who were complaining about the character design will like it better.

Certainly, this is a far superior character design for Sonic. The character now looks genuinely great. I remain extremely sceptical about the film's chances of success, however. The way I see it, Sega has at last produced a movie to beat Nintendo's Super Mario Brothers - but after 25 years, does anyone care? Is there an audience at all for this film?

Well, maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Certainly, this is a far superior character design for Sonic. The character now looks genuinely great. I remain extremely sceptical about the film's chances of success, however. The way I see it, Sega has at last produced a movie to beat Nintendo's Super Mario Brothers - but after 25 years, does anyone care? Is there an audience at all for this film?

Well, maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Of course this is really just anecdotal but my son, who's 10, has never played a Sonic game. I've never gone out of my way to explain Sonic to him or made any efforts to expose him to it. He has no real reason to even be aware of sonic, but people at school talk about Sonic. He's also therefore went ahead and watched some of the Sonic animated TV shows, and has expressed desire to see the movie long before the first trailer came out. I don't know what it is about sonic, and I can't say that the movie will do well (Judging by both trailers it certainly seems not my cup of tea, improved character design or not) but like Mario - though not to the same extent - there's definitely a larger cultural awareness of the brand out there.

and now there's apparently Baby Sonic!
Japanese trailer
Japanese poster from Polygon article "Baby Sonic is the new Baby Yoda"
EMv4_2cUEAIBcbx.jpeg

The way I see it, Sega has at last produced a movie to beat Nintendo's Super Mario Brothers - but after 25 years, does anyone care? Is there an audience at all for this film? Well, maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Welp, it took in over $100 million US+International in its debut weekend - pretty much more than everything else combined somehow. Tomorrow's a holiday in the US, and it's projected to keep going strong. https://komonews.com/news/entertainment/sonic-speeds-to-57m-debut-parasite-sees-big-oscar-bump

I haven't seen the movie yet but I am generaly in favor of people liking things, so I'm glad it's doing well.

Welp, it took in over $100 million US+International in its debut weekend - pretty much more than everything else combined somehow. Tomorrow's a holiday in the US, and it's projected to keep going strong. https://komonews.com/news/entertainment/sonic-speeds-to-57m-debut-parasite-sees-big-oscar-bump
Indeed! It seems that "I was proven wrong" is a major understatement in this case. These box office results are pretty amazing.

I really didn't think there could be an audience for a Sonic film, but there you go - apparently everyone wanted to see it.

Sonic movie sequel is in development

As bizarre as it may seem, the Sonic movie currently has the 2nd highest worldwide and domestic movie box office numbers for 2020

1Bad Boys for Life$419,074,646$204,417,85548.8%$214,656,79151.2%
2Sonic the Hedgehog$306,766,470$146,066,47047.6%$160,700,00052.4%
3Dolittle$223,343,452$77,047,06534.5%$146,296,38765.5%
4Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn$201,858,461$84,158,46141.7%$117,700,00058.3%
5The Invisible Man$122,914,050$64,914,05052.8%$58,000,00047.2%
6The Gentlemen$114,996,853$36,296,85331.6%$78,700,00068.4%
7The Call of the Wild$107,604,626$62,342,36857.9%$45,262,25842.1%
8The Grudge$49,511,319$21,221,80342.9%$28,289,51657.1%
9Fantasy Island$47,315,959$26,441,78255.9%$20,874,17744.1%
10Underwater$40,882,928$17,291,07842.3%$23,591,85057.7%

Box Office Mojo 2020 Worldwide Box Office

No big surprise there. It's actually a decent movie on its own right. Which means as a videogame movie it's actually good. It's really a sleeper hit.

It's a movie that defies the videogame movies are crap stereotype. Everyone just assumed it would be a crap movie, but it was a big hit with those who did see it, and the kids (who haven't even known Sonic) loved it.

That is definitely an excellent result for this movie. Though in regards to having the #2 spot in that ranking... I reckon Covid-19 helped a little with that ;).

That is definitely an excellent result for this movie. Though in regards to having the #2 spot in that ranking... I reckon Covid-19 helped a little with that ;).

Definitely.

There are many planned releases with huge potential worldwide, including Mulan, Wonder Woman 1984, Black Widow, No Time to Die, Fast and Furious 9 . . .

iTunes has Sonic the Hedgehog in 4K for $0.99 as their rental of the week. Not sure if this is good outside the US region.

Sonic The Hedgehog

PG ✅ 8+ 🍅 63%
Kids & Family 1 Hour 39 Minutes 2020
The world needed a hero, we got a hedgehog. Powered with incredible speed, Sonic The Hedgehog (voiced by Ben Schwartz), aka The Blue Blur, embraces his new home on Earth. That is, until he accidentally knocks out the power grid and sparks the attention of super-uncool evil genius Dr. Robotnik (Jim Carrey). Now it’s super-villain vs. super-sonic in an all-out race across the globe to stop Robotnik from using Sonic’s unique power for world domination. Sonic teams up with The Donut Lord, aka Sheriff Tom Wachowski (James Marsden), to save the planet in this live-action adventure comedy that’s fun for the whole family.
Rent $0.99 / Buy $9.99

I think you have have 30 days to start playing the movie and once you push play you have 24 or 48 hours to watch it (depending on what region you are in) so it might be part of your own Thanksgiving survival plan.

Last edited:
Back