Sonic the Hedgehog Movie Trailer

Heh, I laughed at the 'it's not mine' part. Other than that I'm very confused about this being a real thing they're making. Cashing in on that 90s nostalgia like everyone else, I suppose? Still....

Wow! I was like… nah, I don't care enough to bother watching, but... meh, I guess I'll have a look… and wow! Wow! That has got to be the worst thing I've seen so far this year. It's horrifyingly terrible, it feels like every scene just takes the cringe up another notch.

Really, it looks so terrible to me that I started second-guessing myself. Could this actually be a good film, and I'm just too old and stuck-up to enjoy its kind of humour? Will kids enjoy it? Maybe… but I mean, the times when Sonic fans would fight it out with Mario fans in the junior school playground are, you know, kind of behind us.

On the bright side, if everybody else is cashing in on the 90s nostalgia, then, hey, EA, there's this series of space sims you could revive...

No. At least, you're not alone in that assessment from what I understand. I'm apathetic towards the whole thing myself.

Yeah, I'm not 'invested' in it and I have no particular desire to see it. But at least Carry looks like he'll be entertaining if I happen to see the movie.

Woof. I try to be positive about things that aren't for me... but boy is that character design for Sonic unpleasant.

I understand that movies like this aren't specifically for the core game audience but rather for a wider audience whose connection is more simply that they /recognize/ the IP... but... that doesn't explain any of this. The way to do this movie would be a happy 1990s throwback (neon colors, trapper keepers, talking animals) and not... whatever this is.

Also the World of Warcraft movie should have been about a group of nerdy friends getting sucked into their computer and playing World of Warcraft FOR REAL. Fight me.

On the bright side, if everybody else is cashing in on the 90s nostalgia, then, hey, EA, there's this series of space sims you could revive...

I'm honestly even more weirded out by this not having happened yet than by us getting a Sonic film in the late tens. First I expected them to capitalize on the initial hype when SC was announced, then on everyone still being blue-balled like five years later, but nothing seems to have happened. Makes you wonder what's going on behind the scenes. I mean, if they did a reboot of Syndicate of all things...

Also the World of Warcraft movie should have been about a group of nerdy friends getting sucked into their computer and playing World of Warcraft FOR REAL. Fight me.

I'm pretty sure that's the plot of at least two successful animes and that one film with The Rock people seemed to like, so I'm not sure anyone actually disagrees. :p
That being said it would probably end up being a worse version of that one South Park episode. It would be hard to top that one, especially since it was released back when people still cared about WoW in a big way.

I'm honestly even more weirded out by this not having happened yet than by us getting a Sonic film in the late tens. First I expected them to capitalize on the initial hype when SC was announced, then on everyone still being blue-balled like five years later, but nothing seems to have happened. Makes you wonder what's going on behind the scenes. I mean, if they did a reboot of Syndicate of all things...

I'm pretty sure that's the plot of at least two successful animes and that one film with The Rock people seemed to like, so I'm not sure anyone actually disagrees. :p
That being said it would probably end up being a worse version of that one South Park episode. It would be hard to top that one, especially since it was released back when people still cared about WoW in a big way.

EA did underhandedly attempt something like this but they picked the wrong horse and if backfired spectacularly. They handed the reins to PGI (the mechwarrior online guys) pretty much for free and then pulled the plug on it silently, which was what spurred PGI to attempt to launch the work they did under their own new "transverse" (seriously, who thought that was a good titled?) IP. PGI meanwhile had garnered epic levels of hate from the Something Awful crowd and were mid PR nightmare regarding promises and changes to the MWO game that the SA crowd were trying to convince everyone were ruining the game. That hate was then channeled at Transverse since how dare they work on another project when they hadn't delivered the promises or MWO which apparently had some kind of early access/crowdfuning element to it in the early days.

I know you're talking to EA, not Hollywood, but I'm picturing a Wing Commander movie filtered through the mindset that appears to have given us Sonic.
  1. It reboots the series back to WC1.
  2. It's a "darker, gritter" reboot. Since the WC Movie Rapier was already made out of Cold War plane parts, they make the spacecraft look like fabric-covered Sopwith Camels. (If they properly committed to this by having open cockpits with silk scarves streaming behind the pilots I'd admire this, but they don't.)
  3. Someone hears that "the fans" really wanted Mark Hamill and Tom Wilson, so they're playing the 20-year-old Blair and Maniac, just out of flight school.
  4. Because of that one appearance of the word "bluehair," they give Mark Hamill bright blue spiky anime hair. It looks surprisingly good on him.
  5. Tom Wilson is a good enough actor to pull this off given the right script, but every single conversation ends with "there's always the latrines to scrub, if you'd rather" and the director telling him to make that stunned goldfish expression.
  6. I'm not sure how they'd mess up the music. Maybe someone decides that it's enough like Top Gun to use "Danger Zone," except they hire a current pop band to cover it?
  7. The Kilrathi are portrayed by live cats.

I know you're talking to EA, not Hollywood, but I'm picturing a Wing Commander movie filtered through the mindset that appears to have given us Sonic.
You forgot a few details. Since Blair was called Maverick, and since there'd been talk of a Top Gun sequel/remake for years, the producers decide to kill two birds with one stone. Riffing off the "Danger Zone" soundtrack, they bring in Kelly McGillis as Blair's civilian flight instructor romance. However, then the producers remember that Tony Scott was going to direct the Top Gun remake, and since Tony Scott unfortunately killed himself, it falls to his brother, Ridley, to take up te mantle and direct the new Top Wing Commander Gun film.

Needless to say, it turns out Blair is a replicant, while Maniac is an android. They would defeat the Kilrathi, but they're too busy pondering if androids dream of electric sheep. In the meantime, the aliens show up and infest all the Kilrathi. The question of whether the Nephilim are somehow related to the xenomorphs or are yet another product of the Engineers is suggested in a number of easter egg scenes posted on YouTube, but otherwise left open until the sequel. Which may possibly involve Wing Commander's other famous replicant detective the Gemini sector, and the Steltek. Ridley decides to farm this sequel out to Denis Villeneuve, who will also reuse the sets from Blade Runner 2049 as New Detroit. Much to everyone's amazement, after Ridley Scott's lacklustre Top Wing Commander Gun, Privateer 2649 starring Clive Owen as Lev Arris (alias Brownhair) turns out to be an utterly extraordinary film, blowing people away with fantastic cinematography, visual effects, and the remarkable way in which it actually managed to pick up all the crazy plot pieces and tie them together into one coherent whole with an unforgettable climax. Unfortunately, as with Blade Runner 2049, the critics love it, the fans love it, but only five other people ever bother to watch the film.

And that would probably cover the entire story of the Wing Commander revival :).

Good article on what a fix might involve
Ilion Animation Studio character supervisor Juan-Luis Sanchez (Paddington), who spoke out on Twitter about Fowler’s decision, told io9 he was surprised when he heard that the fan backlash was leading to what could be a partial or complete character redesign. While it’s unclear how much of the Sonic character would be changed—and he made sure to mention he doesn’t know anyone working on the project—he did say the Sonic we saw likely represents at least six to nine months of work. Work that’s now out the window.

“If they took nine months to build a character, it’s two to three months of reworking before you can even put the character back into shots again,” he said. “I can’t even guess what’s going on behind the scenes.”

That doesn’t mean the whole movie will have to be redone. On the contrary, Sonic probably isn’t even in most of it yet. According to Sanchez, when trailers involving digital characters are released, what you see is typically all that’s been finished by that point. That means, by the time the world was fully introduced to Sonic the Beefy-Legged Hedgehog, “maybe five percent” of the movie had been fully animated with him in it. This was echoed by Daryl Bartley, a visual effect artist who worked on Avatar andPower Rangers, who said much of the work on getting the character into the movie is done in the final months, or even weeks, of production.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/vfx-artists-explain-what-it-would-actually-take-to-redo-1834653108

You forgot a few details. Since Blair was called Maverick, and since there'd been talk of a Top Gun sequel/remake for years, the producers decide to kill two birds with one stone. Riffing off the "Danger Zone" soundtrack, they bring in Kelly McGillis as Blair's civilian flight instructor romance. However, then the producers remember that Tony Scott was going to direct the Top Gun remake, and since Tony Scott unfortunately killed himself, it falls to his brother, Ridley, to take up te mantle and direct the new Top Wing Commander Gun film.

Needless to say, it turns out Blair is a replicant, while Maniac is an android. They would defeat the Kilrathi, but they're too busy pondering if androids dream of electric sheep. In the meantime, the aliens show up and infest all the Kilrathi. The question of whether the Nephilim are somehow related to the xenomorphs or are yet another product of the Engineers is suggested in a number of easter egg scenes posted on YouTube, but otherwise left open until the sequel. Which may possibly involve Wing Commander's other famous replicant detective the Gemini sector, and the Steltek. Ridley decides to farm this sequel out to Denis Villeneuve, who will also reuse the sets from Blade Runner 2049 as New Detroit. Much to everyone's amazement, after Ridley Scott's lacklustre Top Wing Commander Gun, Privateer 2649 starring Clive Owen as Lev Arris (alias Brownhair) turns out to be an utterly extraordinary film, blowing people away with fantastic cinematography, visual effects, and the remarkable way in which it actually managed to pick up all the crazy plot pieces and tie them together into one coherent whole with an unforgettable climax. Unfortunately, as with Blade Runner 2049, the critics love it, the fans love it, but only five other people ever bother to watch the film.

And that would probably cover the entire story of the Wing Commander revival :).
I'm throwing money at my screen but it doesn't work.

Holy shit. I can't believe this. When I wrote this a couple of months ago, I was blissfully convinced that any talk of a Top Gun sequel would remain just talk, because, you know, it's just such a stupid idea.

And then I see this trailer:

So I open the trailer, convinced that it's some YouTuber's fake video, and that it'll be worth a few laughs to see how they splice Top Cruise from a bunch of movies into one supposed Top Gun 2 trailer. But it's not a fake. It's actually real.

Yep. Top Gun 2. Or, Top Gun: Maverick, as they called it, presumably to highlight the fact that unlike the first film, this one centres on Maverick. Or something.

But here's the shocking thing. It... doesn't look like shit. I hate Hollywood's modern obsession with remakes, relaunches, reboots, re-imaginings, and other re-whatevers. I seriously wish the US legislature would just pass a law banning any return to film franchises untouched for 10 years. And yet… and yet… well, they didn't do a reboot or a remake here. The conceit of the film is that Maverick has continued to serve for the nearly thirty years since the first film, somehow didn't get retired (he "refused to retire" - because apparently, in the US Navy, they only ask pilots nicely, rather than cashiering them after the first failed medical check). It's ridiculous. It's daft. And yet… and yet.. gosh darn it, I genuinely love the idea of this dinosaur pilot being the symbol of manned aviation at the dawn of the age of drones. It just reminds me so much of that other Maverick putting on his flight suit again in Prophecy.

I know, I know, in the end it will be ruined by all of modern Hollywood's obsessions, in particular the absolute requirement to feature a "diverse" backing cast of people forced into the script to target this or that audience demographic. And still… I really can't believe I'm saying this, but... as much as I expect this film to turn out to be a bunch of derivative tripe, I actually look forward to seeing it.

Back