Sometimes you really ought to check six...

Worf

Vice Admiral
Cute flying story of the day (happened to me).

At the airport, there was a crew busy setting up a dedication of a centotaph for V-E day (the airport I fly from is an ex-RCAF base), so there was a lot of people in front of the FBO.

Anyhow, I went up and did my airwork that I needed to do, and returned back to the airport. Somewhere along left base (I was first for the runway) I hear a call on the radio for "Museum Flight" requesting permission to land, and they were sequenced in. I came in on final and they spotted me as I turned final and lined up a typical normal approach.

I touch the ground, and they immediately call that they're on final, again, still sequenced and thus waiting for me to exit the runway. Knowing how typically fast normal approaches are made at this airport, I hustle to the taxiway at the end of the runway. Turn down the taxiway and cross the other runway, and then park the plane nice and far away (because of said dedication having a few of those planes on display and thus occupying the better part of the ramp). I managed to park the plane, shutdown, and push it back when I finally see who the heck was behind me (this was around 5 minutes later.

A Tiger Moth and I think it was a Harvard. Had I checked six, I might've known that I still had a good long while before I really ought to hustle to clear the runway. I guess it was from the fact that two other regular light planes were ahead of me... The controllers and pilots seemed to imply that I really was in their way and going much too slow to the runway...

Back