(Something Like)Trivia

space forces still, he commanded the flight of raptors that planted the remote detonated porcupine mines near the central jump point

Purely off the top of my head: Lynch Mining, Lynch Enterprise and Cerberus Group. I'm probably wrong, though.

Wedge009 said:
Purely off the top of my head: Lynch Mining, Lynch Enterprise and Cerberus Group. I'm probably wrong, though.
Cerebus Shipping, but close enough :)

Since Wedge doesn't like to ask questions, I'll do another.

To whos email do you have to respond to get Kraven Lasers in P2?

C-ya

Ralph McCloud

What was the first confederation ship destroyed at the Battle of McAuliffe and how was it destroyed?

Viper61 said:
Cerebus Shipping, but close enough
I went through the list of random employers in Privateer at least once. I know there was a "Cerebus" company, but there was definitely also a "Cerberus" company too. I remember thinking that was an interesting re-use of the name in SO when I first noticed it.

Dundradal said:
What was the first confederation ship destroyed at the Battle of McAuliffe and how was it destroyed?
If you want to get technical, a light corvette was taken out by Kilrathi bombers as it approached the out-system jump point. As for in orbit of McAuliffe, the heavy carrier Coral Sea bought it after taking some hits from Kilrathi bombers.

Sticking with Action Stations, what was the last Confed ship to jump out of the McAuliffe System after Turner's counterattack?

C-ya

TCS North Carolina

(just re-read AS last week :D )

Softball question: What drink of Hunter's was confiscated on his visit to Firekka, before the kats showed up in the Firekka system in force?

The frigate was blown up by a suicide craft that was to be allowed to heed to and allow the confed ship to get close and then blow itself up...

That may have been the plan, but that's not how the actual attack kicked off. The first sign, within the McAuliffe system, of the attack was the picket ship Java (not identified by class, but picket duty is a traditional corvette task, in wet navies and TCN), which transmitted "This is picket ship Java. Repeat, picket ship Java. A Kilrathi battleship has just come through Jump Point Alpha. Christ! It's opening up on us. It's..." (p241, initial 1998 printing, 6th paragraph)

Death said:
That may have been the plan, but that's not how the actual attack kicked off. The first sign, within the McAuliffe system, of the attack was the picket ship Java (not identified by class, but picket duty is a traditional corvette task, in wet navies and TCN), which transmitted "This is picket ship Java. Repeat, picket ship Java. A Kilrathi battleship has just come through Jump Point Alpha. Christ! It's opening up on us. It's..." (p241, initial 1998 printing, 6th paragraph)
Ah, I always assumed the Java and the ship Lt. Cmdr Olsen refered to on page 253 (a light corvette) was the same ship, but on closer review of what was actually said, its possible (and probable) they were different vessels.

C-ya

The Java was already on station at the jump point, holding position for its watch period (I'd even hazard a guess that it was motionless [or mostly so] in relation to the jump point, making it easy pickings for BB guns), before the kat bombers were actually launched.

The light corvette that Olsen describes was heading out to its patrol after the kat bombers launched, as in it wasn't yet on station when downed.

It's possible that the Java is a light corvette (though not the same as the booster-spotting light corvette), but that's just as much speculation as that it was a full-size corvette (though I can't imagine getting much lighter than a regular corvette and still staying in the "capship" category... I mean the 2654 Venture was only 80m long, a little over double a Broadsword's length).

Softball question: What drink of Hunter's was confiscated on his visit to Firekka, before the kats showed up in the Firekka system in force?

This was asked and answered before, so I'm kindda cheating, but it was several bottles of good Scotch, twelve-year old single malts.

This game has been dead for quite a while, so I'll try to bring it back to life if you don't mind.

So... What are the 8 Confed fighters that do not share their names with real life aircraft?

Vic.

So... What are the 8 Confed fighters that do not share their names with real life aircraft?

Ah! Good thread to bring back--I missed it because it's in the off-topic zone, though. We should probably move it over to Wing Commander...

I am coming up with nine (from the games, ignoring things like the Minotaur in the novels):

- Ferret
- Epee
- Broadsword
- Morningstar
- Crossbow
- Wraith
- Gladius
- Excalibur
- Piranha

And maybe "Raptor" counts? We have one today, but we didn't when Wing Commander I came out.

Hey LOAF,

Sorry for the late response. I realized my question was not specific enough, giving plenty of room for interpretation.

For example, I considered the F-22 as valid, but as you mentioned, that plane didn’t really existed when WC1 came out.

From your list, I have two fighters that could be linked to real life planes. There was a specialized version of the Consolidated B-24 that was called “Ferret”, which was basically a photo reconnaissance plane.

Regarding the Piranha, there was one airplane called the A-22, which was a counter insurgency plane build for the export market. Various airplanes were built, but the primary customer (the Turkish air force) decided not to buy it and the whole project was cancelled.

In my list I had the Lancer too, but I forgot the Piper Lancer. The rest of our list is similar :)

Your turn now.

Vic.

Back