(Something Like)Trivia

Maj. Edmond, comm officer of the TCS Concordia in WC2/SO1/2.

What did Maniac claim was the best way to use the Mace missile in SO2?

Fire it into a group of targets and detonate it with your guns.

How long are the TCS Tiger's Claw, TCS Concordia, TCS Victory and TCS Midway in feet?

Assuming that means the WC2 Concordia, the answer is... 13,890.2 feet.

(2,296.6 (Tiger's Claw) + 2,362.2 (Victory) + 3,227.4 (Concordia) + 6,004.0 (Midway) = 13,890.2 (Total))

Next question: Name two foods served at the Sinner's Inn.

Of course I don't. I was bitching because, aside from the from the fact that I don't think very highly of Priv2's status as being part of the WC universe, I didn't know the answer.

If I remembered, I'd have answered it, THEN bitched. : )

I'm not an advocate of P2 being "officially" part of WC either. There isn't a single correlating factor between the two universes save only the name Privateer. Hypothetically, if P2 was considered a WC game then you could make an argument for games like Freelancer.

Here's an easier question from the seamier side of the legit WC universe:
Name the five pirate bases in Gemini Sector.

NapoleanAce said:
I'm not an advocate of P2 being "officially" part of WC either. There isn't a single correlating factor between the two universes save only the name Privateer. Hypothetically, if P2 was considered a WC game then you could make an argument for games like Freelancer.

No you couldn't... that's stupid.

NapoleanAce said:

Here's an easier question from the seamier side of the legit WC universe:
Name the five pirate bases in Gemini Sector.

Groan.

Ignoring the games freaking name, there's plenty of "correlating factors" -- mentions of the Confederation, the reference to an encounter with the Kilrathi on the news broadcast, the mission where you discover a Talon... and of course the simple fact that Origin says so (explicitly).

Now, let me ask the opposite question -- how could Privateer 2 possibly *not* be in the Wing Commander universe? The entire game dynamic is the same... they could *never* get away with releasing it as a non Wing Commander game. So why the passion in yelping about it? Just admit that you don't like the game and leave it at that -- your personal feelings about it *shouldn't* affect where it stands in the WCU.

Silly P2-is-not-a-part-of-the-WCU people. :)

The five pirate bases in the Gemini sector are:
  • Drake in Capella system
  • Smallville in KM-252 system
  • Oakham in Pentonville system
  • Tuck's in Sherwood system
  • Megiddo in Telar system

It's a bit odd, I thought there were more than five, but anyway...

Bandit LOAF said:
Now, let me ask the opposite question -- how could Privateer 2 possibly *not* be in the Wing Commander universe? The entire game dynamic is the same... they could *never* get away with releasing it as a non Wing Commander game. So why the passion in yelping about it? Just admit that you don't like the game and leave it at that -- your personal feelings about it *shouldn't* affect where it stands in the WCU.

I never said I didn't like the game--it's not as good as P1, but I find myself replaying it often to this day. I feel the game could have done well as a stand-alone, but ORIGIN knew that they could attract their large WC-fan base by trying to tie it into WC.

Certainly the storyline before and after P2 has *nothing* at all with The Darkening's interjection. The game dynamic is similar in that it's a space sim, but *again* the gameplay is different from the games before and after, i.e. the way missiles/decoys/mines are deployed, the enitre navigation system of jumping from waypoint to waypoint, the streaming effect of firing guns and heat build-up, even simple things like the keys used or the unfamiliar names of guns and missiles. I don't mind the differences...it was refreshing to have an entirely new concept--but that's exactly what it is: an *entirely* new concept. One newsbrief and a military prototype isn't enough to convince me regardless of what Origin says, but that's just my opinion.

Wedge009 said:
It's a bit odd, I thought there were more than five, but anyway...

Nope...only five. When I first played P1, I scoured Gemini because I got taken by that whole "Kilrathi hollow asteroid" goose chase :D

No, I know there's only five (because I scoured the Gemini sector too, but not for the Kilrathi ammunition dump), but I thought there'd be more. There's about 60 other bases in Gemini...

Well now, there was hundreds of colonies in the 17th century Carribean, but only a few of them were 'pirate bases' as such. If there's too many pirates in one location, the merchants will leave. Besides, I'd assume that there has probably been several other pirate bases in Gemini over the years, which Confed has already eliminated.

Good point.

Fariss and Humboldt would be the only logical quads for pirates to set up bases. Clarke's too close to the border, and Potter is the cultural center so it's swarming with Confed and militia patrols.

Theoretically there could be more boarded-up systems like Eden that pirates were able to remove from ES records.

Since Wedge hates the questions... here's one:

If the Kilrathi wingman from Armada was a weapon of mass destruction that was about to be used... who would have been in the commander of the group sent to deal with the threat?

PeteyG said:
If the Kilrathi wingman from Armada was a weapon of mass destruction that was about to be used... who would have been in the commander of the group sent to deal with the threat?

GOODNESS.

Fix your grammar!

I don't understand the first part of the sentence.

What do you mean the Kilrathi wingman was a weapon of mass destruction? I thought wingmen (or wingcats) are fighter pilots...

mah grammer be gud in that sentence.

1. If the Kilrathi wingman from Armada was a WMD... what WMD would he be?
2. And who would have been the commander sent to deal with this WMD?

Back