Some Observations

K

KnightLight

Bug: Talons keep kicking my butt. But seriously folks...

1) Once after I got killed one of the Talons circling the wreckage appeared to have a gigantic blue lightsaber beam extending forward from the wing, possibly a weapon hardpoint.
2) I can't do any repairs other than the expensive ones, but it seems that damage is not saved after I reload a saved game.

3) I saw a Broadsword doing loopdeloops inside a jump point sphere. it was either trying to jump or could not get out... looked like a hamster in a hamsterball.

Another thing... I find the asteroid belts disturbing because the 3D asteroids do not appear to be a part of the universe. I cannot get closer to or fly past one no matter how fast I fly. I realize this is an outgrowth of the WC2 style fields, where they were just a VGA background with a few that would occasionally zip at your cockpit and threaten you, but it's disconcerting to see 3d asteroids behaving that way. I guess I'm too used to WC3/WC4 asteroids.

KnightLight said:
1) Once after I got killed one of the Talons circling the wreckage appeared to have a gigantic blue lightsaber beam extending forward from the wing, possibly a weapon hardpoint.
That would be a tractor beam. It's was sucking up your wreckage like a good pirate.
3) I saw a Broadsword doing loopdeloops inside a jump point sphere. it was either trying to jump or could not get out... looked like a hamster in a hamsterball.
Ships fly from nav point to nav point. Occasionally they hang around at one for a while. This sometimes involves slightly weird behaviour :D
Another thing... I find the asteroid belts disturbing because the 3D asteroids do not appear to be a part of the universe. I cannot get closer to or fly past one no matter how fast I fly. I realize this is an outgrowth of the WC2 style fields, where they were just a VGA background with a few that would occasionally zip at your cockpit and threaten you, but it's disconcerting to see 3d asteroids behaving that way. I guess I'm too used to WC3/WC4 asteroids.
Somehow I have no idea what you are talking about. You can fly between them, you can hit them, they can hit you.. Considering some bases and jump points are inside asteroid fields, I would hope you can get closer to them.. One thing that needs to be fixed is lighting. Unlike ships and bases they don't appear to be lit by the local sun.. Problem with the material property, easy fix. THey are however quite real. Please clarify I guess..

The asteroid belts aren't a collection of objects you can fly to. Compare them to WC3, 4, Prophecy, or Freelancer, and you will see what I mean. What it appears to be is a 3d- rendered version of a WC2 style asteroid belt, in which the belt itself is an object, and when you are within a certain range of the center it animates random asteroids that can hit you. You cannot, however, fly by the various asteroids, becasue they are an animation rather than an object and move independently of your ship. This is, of course, a result of a direct 3D rendering of the original Privateer, and not a problem per se, but it was one thing I found slightly disconcerting.

Then again, I never did get the hang of the asteroid fields in Wing Commander 2. They just creeped me out.

Oh, and sory for the delay in my response.

Back