So... why is there...

Tarquinn

Rear Admiral
... a picture of Elisabeth 'Shadow' Norwood on the back of the box of the first Wing Commander game?
She didn't even appear in the game. Or is my memory that bad...?

Admittedly, it could be another person with callsign 'Shadow', but it would be quite a coincidence, don't you think?

So, what's the story behind that picture and Liz?

I don't have a box handy, but it's probably Spirit you're looking at. Mariko Tanaka.

Why is her callsign Shadow?

Or to be more specific, why does the text in the VDU read "Lt. Shadow"?

The screenshots on the back of WC1 are odd -- I believe the story is that they're actually all just concept mockups (which is why the weapons, the Kilrathi ace and the wingmen all have different names:)).

Yeah, it always bugged me that the weapons fire on those screenshots looked way better than the actual in-game weapon graphics... =/

Wow, you had to look for that. I've never noticed it, but it does say Lt. Shadow in a VDU with a helmet shot of someone there. Some of those shots look little to good to be the version I have, maybe its Amiga or something else (though it does say 'IBM screens shown'). It could also be a pre-mass production shot, the game wasn't finished and the programmers put something in there to make a good picture. Bottom line, I don't know, you'd probably have to ask someone associated with making WC1 to find out. :)

Edit: Oops, others beat me to it.

C-ya

I always loved the picture on the WC2 box that looked great, but then the game didn't look anything like that

They're not real shots -- they're the artists mockups. The "Real IBM screens shown; what you see is what you play!" isn't in the least bit true. :)

Yah, I think we all figured that one out when the Concordia didn't look nearly as nice . . . and when, even when it was damaged, it didn't show battle damage.

Fortunately, they didn't pull that crap on the wc3 box (and I still have the box to the Dos version). Every screenshot on there was straight from the game. Same with wc4 (Got that box, too).

IIRC, the Hornet on the WC1 box was carrying a "Pike" weapon of some sort. And now we have Pike torpedoes. :)

wow, i never noticed this :confused:

I dont exactly have the boxes to the first two, could someone post a picture of this please?

Wedge009 said:
IIRC, the Hornet on the WC1 box was carrying a "Pike" weapon of some sort. And now we have Pike torpedoes. :)
Yes. "FF Pike"

The Raptor on the box is armed with a weapon called "Phalanx" and has laser guns. :p

And yes, the sentence "Every image on this box was taken from game : What you see is what you play! ™" is a fucking lie. :rolleyes:
(Yeah, they even had a trademark on that sentence. )

I've seen that before but never realised there was now shadow in WC1 haha. Also I don't remember Colonel Halcyon saying "Okay boys, settle down."

Prototype briefing for that one, quite possibly.

Ooh . . was there ever a wc1 editor that would allow you to create your own plot dialogue and such, as well as missions?

AFAIK you can edit the plot dialogue with any file editor (hex, for example.) The missions....doubt it, but I've been wrong before.

Back