So it's Wing Commander 0?

NeoDevilbane

Rear Admiral
I find it unlikely that Chris is able to use the Kilrathi logo, Bengal-class carriers, very Kilrathi-Dralthi-esque fighters, actual system names from WC, Confed logos, and jump tech and all that in this game if it's not, in fact, a WC prequel/soft reboot.

It's in the WC universe, that seems pretty clear at this point. Just seems to be a question, at this point, if it's in a rebooted WC universe or if it's intended to fit into what we've already played/read/watched/etc..

The other question is how Chris was able to get EA to be OK with him doing this without this being under their banner and all that. Seems like it may just be as simple as it being conditional on him not using the WC name itself and the current Powers That Be at EA being cool enough to give him sufficient leeway.

It depends on how secure the IP is.

It could easily be that the rights EA holds are just to the name and names.
Therefore he's quite within his legal rights to do exactly as he is doing.

I find it unlikely that Chris is able to use the Kilrathi logo, Bengal-class carriers, very Kilrathi-Dralthi-esque fighters, actual system names from WC, Confed logos, and jump tech and all that in this game if it's not, in fact, a WC prequel/soft reboot.

It's in the WC universe, that seems pretty clear at this point. Just seems to be a question, at this point, if it's in a rebooted WC universe or if it's intended to fit into what we've already played/read/watched/etc..

Don't forget about the Hornet; it'll cost you $125 donating to RSI, but it's there. Mmmmmm...Hornet, nom nom nom...

It certainly comes across as some kind of prequel. I just dug out my Action Stations novel to help me burn off some of the nostalgic energy. I really find all the hanger shots to be pleasing.

That is exactly what I was thinking. The cat symbol, the uniforms (not the flight suit) look VERY similar, if not identical, to the ones in WC3, the patch on the arm is the Confed star. In fact, I had to watch the trailer twice since the first time around I was picking out the WC items.

The names and images of things created for Wing Commander may be property of EA, but the concept of jump points and how they work is generic enough--other works have used similar "naturally occurring wormholes between star systems" as the chief method of interstellar travel in a universe where true faster-than-light is impossible--look up "Alderson Points" in the works of writer Jerry Pournelle, stretching back to the early 1970s. Many of the names of spacecraft in Wing Commander are also derived directly from real-life ships and aircraft, so there is no legal issue with calling a fighter a Hornet or a Sabre or a Hellcat or whatever, as long as they do not too closely physically resemble the Wing Commander ones.

It does look closer to wing commander then the wing commander movie :)

The timeline does not add up for the Kilrathi war to take place. I would just describe it as alternate universe wing commander, like with comics, where you have different dimensions in the multiverse, where there are a lot of similarities but slight differences, they use this to update characters to a more modern context and retell their stories. I would say this is more a wing/lancer hybrid taking the best of both.

i think its not an unreasonable guess to suggest that chris may of been allowed to borrow or take certain game contents or forms from the wing commander license by EA, all except of course for the title.

who knows, the chums may be looking at this project quite eagerly.

I really dont know what rights Chris has and what EA on Wing Commander as content ,not title.
But from what we have seen , Chris can use Wing Commander stuff !Its great I am very excited!

I may be the only one, but I find the Wing Commander throwbacks slightly off-putting. If it's Wing Commander, let it be Wing Commander. If it's Freelancer let it be Freelancer. If it's Starlancer, let it be Starlancer. It's clear he's able to - when he wants - put together a brand new look for the franchise. The fact that this one is so directly tied to Wing Commander (the ship even LOOKS like a Bengal Class) but is not using the name is just confusing, and odd, unless this is just a play to get the rights back.

ok to clear things up

BREAKING NEWS

the german PC game magazine " Gamestar" summarizes the plot of Squadron 42

Chris Roberts wants to create a new universe, which reminds of the later years of the antique rome. The terran homeworld "rome" (Earth) is weakening. The political and cultural life moves on to the colonialworld " Terra" (Constantinople). Meanwhile Alien races ( Barbarians) are lingering to take over the human worlds.

Squadron 42 is considered to be something like the (french) Foreign Legion of the Earth Empire. Everyone is accepted, as long he can fly. After you have served, you will be granted your star citizienship, with which you can play the " Freelancer" part of the game

Seems like it may just be as simple as it being conditional on him not using the WC name itself and the current Powers That Be at EA being cool enough to give him sufficient leeway.

You mean like how EA is so cool that they've allowed us to host official Wing Commander content for free? Create a Prophecy DVD patch? And create complete Wing Commander games and novels? All without a single cease and desist nor a single dime asked?

Contrary to what the Internet says, EA is very cool and not at all interested in curb stomping "a Chris Roberts game."

Back