So, do you like the new jump bubbles?

So do you like the new jump representations?

• Yes, they're OK

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No, go back to using jump balls

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, just use buoys

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Yes, but they need brightness/color changes

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
I personally think I need to tone the brightness down and make the buoy a little bigger, but other than that it mostly works, no? ^^;

Please keep in mind that WCU is much more of a work in progress than Priv Remake is -- good call on playing Priv first, by the way. I can't give you a meaningful screenshot because you miss the transparency effect and so on if I do.

I suggest you copy your priv remake folder, and install WCU in the copy, to fly around with.

I downloaded the zip and had a missing weapon_xml file, and now I have a missing small rock mesh...
Cannot Open Mesh File smallroid.obj
Ass soon as I tried to jump to Pandar's Star, big crash.

By the way, Spirit, Hellcat sent me a message saying that I would need mesher under bin, so I'm trying to figure out compiling this thing (finally figured out cvs). Would be a good thing if mesher were there in the wcu_code.rar.

Also, did you by any chance compile the executables with debug? Because this new version (march 18 I think it was) is very, VERY slow.

EDIT: Tried to run ./configure and it tells me...

Your file glext.h is too old. (Must be Version 21 or greater)
You can get a new copy at
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/ABI/glext.h
Place it in the directory /usr/include/GL.

So, maybe that file should be updated in the cvs..

Sorry, my mistake, that's a file that was in my computer, that was too old.

WCU right now uses the same executable as vegastrike, I don't even have a bin directory in it -- "code" mostly means phyton scripts and "data" mostly means graphics. I keep them separate just because code gets update more often so people can just grab the smaller file.

My server has been having problem so it's possible that -data is broken, let me upload it again.

I got it all figured out and fixed. What happened was this:

There's some small rock you didn't include a mesh for. And when I posted at the vegastrike forum, Hellcat sent me a message basically saying "you can either compile that mesh yourself, or you can throw the mesher program in the bin directory.
Now, I have a bin directory because I'm in Linux. And what Hellcat was saying was that if I don't have the precompiled meshes, having mesher in bin will compile them at runtime. So what I did was figure out cvs, figure out how to compile vegastrike in linux, find the newly compiled mesher, and copy it to bin. And it worked like a charm. As a matter of fact, the game was slow before, but now it runs smoothly.
So, I'm not sure what the best thing to do is, for you. I can give you the compiled mesher, but it is for Linux, not for Windows. At the moment I have no way to compile for windooze. By the way, python is not the only code in the vegastrike engine. There are binary executables also. Maybe you're only dealing with python, yourself; but if it were just python it would be the slowest engine in the galaxy.. ;-)
Anyways, so the small rock mesh and also the weapons xml, might be still missing, not sure what problem Argentus was having.

Planets look nicer. The lights on the night side scintillate. Very sharp. And I saw a carrier, for the first time, near New Detroit. I passed by New Constantinople, and from the distance I saw an enormous number of ships; haven't seen any nephili... what was the name now?, yet.

A rock is missing? Which one? O_O; I don't understand...

I'm unable to jump off Troy after updating from the CVS repository. Given that I don't think anyone put anything in it yet, this is very odd... the game just dies without explaining why even in stderr.txt and I don't know what to do now. :(

dan_w said:
Anyways, so the small rock mesh and also the weapons xml, might be still missing, not sure what problem Argentus was having.

No biggy, it seems that the file uploaded to the server wcu-data.rar 21-Mar-2005 02:xx was never uploaded completly. Missing about 0.5mb of data. And ofcourse winrar was crying havok becouse of the missing part ;)

I'll have a look at it in a minut. Finaly got the system to show me the new jump bubble ( by deleting my files & reinstalling privateer, daim, bye bye save's grrr ).

It may need some changes. Try this spiritplumber. When you start to get close to it from the oudeside, the lines are to, how to put it, wide?, fat? Take a look how it looks from the inside, from here it looks more like single line's, and it looks much nicer.

Now, time to take a look at the jump problem. First job, getting a jump drive ;)

Update 1:

Off, lucky me, found a few save's left in a backup :)

Ok, Jump seems to work for me. Have you tried a reinstall of privateer + wcu update's? I noticed that it's better to do it a few time's sinds there is the danger old file's from a update keep behind. Like in my case, the new jump bubble dident appear until i did a reinstall of Privateer + wc:u.

Update 2:

Jumped from New C to Troy using Junction. At Pendar's Star, the bubble to troy was missing. Only the buoy is there at Pendar's Star, while at the exit in Troy, it was there. Going from Troy to War, bubble on both side's.

spiritplumber said:
Nope, I still have the same error -- JPG stream missing. I can jump to Regallis but not anywhere else.

spiritplumber said:
Premature end of JPEG file

Those are the same kinds of error messages I get when I am trying to do something with a corrupted picture file. Maybe you can get away with overwriting your *.JPGs with ones from the previous update?

-thehawk

thehawk said:
Lieutenant Dan.. *chuckles* Uhm.. Sorry. That just hits me as funny.

That's what happens when I don't sleep at all... ;-)

BTW, I took two missions to the Gemini system from New Detroit. After jumping to Gemini from Junction, the objectives display did not update. I landed at the only base there, the mine, whatever it was called, and one mission succeded, the other was still pending. I went back to Junction. After jumping to junction, the objectives still read "Jump to final system Gemini", so I selected the jump to Gemini and turned around, but now the jump point was very far away and had to Auto to it, even though I had just come through it seconds before. So I jumped again, and the objectives still not updating, still reading "Jump to Gemini"; and so I landed again at the mine, and the mission is still pending.

BTW, I see no difference at all with the jump bubbles.

BTW, the asteroid field in Pandar's Star is a lot better. Now it CAN be navigated, rather than *have* to be avoided. Excellent!

dan_w said:
BTW, I see no difference at all with the jump bubbles.

Old data that's left. Copy your save & serialized_xml from" .Privateer100". Delete your Privateer directory, reinstall Privateer, and apply the update's. Copy back the 2 directory's, start game, load save.

This seems to solve the jump bubble problem.

Back