So... cockpits...

Now THAT would be the cockpit type fitting for Saga! I don't even know how that could slip beyond me, I didn't even know that trailer.
Of course the Diaspora guys keep it private for now (which is ok of course, they work hard on their mod and it is really be something that will blow the fans away when they finally play it), and we don't know when and how it can be merged into the builds.
It is based a much newer version of FSO than Saga is after all.

I hope that the Saga code will be in some way compatible with that. IIRC there were significant changes to the HUD code to make a release possible so I don't know what parts of it will collide. Compatibility with the main FSO branch was not really one of the goals that mattered when the code changes for the Saga branch of the engine were done, everything was focused on Saga.
If it is not compatible... well, I guess if someone wants to put work in that it will be a lot of work. My guess is that it will not be easy. But who knows what kinds of crazy modders are waiting out there. :D

The hud would have to be redone anyway to work with the cockpit. The only other major thing I've heard they changed in Saga was the Autopilot. That's already in trunk, whether it's the same implementation I don't know. The way the shields were rendered were changed too I think. Merging the branches isn't too difficult as long as nobody went cricket with variable names. Once the saga source is released there's already talk of adding the features to FSO and maybe being able to play saga with a trunk build of FSO

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80292.0

The hud would have to be redone anyway to work with the cockpit. The only other major thing I've heard they changed in Saga was the Autopilot. That's already in trunk, whether it's the same implementation I don't know. The way the shields were rendered were changed too I think. Merging the branches isn't too difficult as long as nobody went cricket with variable names. Once the saga source is released there's already talk of adding the features to FSO and maybe being able to play saga with a trunk build of FSO

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80292.0

Not very likely. There are a lot of changes in Saga's code, performance optimizations, bugfixes, etc. Some changes break FSO compatibility. I expect FSO to utilize our features, but I do not expect them to spend a LOT of time going through the code and implementing every change we made. I will be more than happy to be proven wrong though.

Yeah, I read where you said Saga's changed quite a few sexps. Someone'll have to look through and run a comparison on the source if/once it's released and see if it would be feasible to just modify the missions to be compatible with FSO or port the RTT improvements (and others) when they're released. Still even without cockpits it's a great game! Great length too. Thanks for all the hard work on your guys part.

I never forgave WC3 for ditching left-right and rear cockpits views, and likewise never forgave WC4 for jettisoning them altogether. And I never got used to the cockpit-less view in FS2. HUDs have no personality, just an eyeball charging through space.

But I didn't spend ten years of my life making WC SAGA and know they made the best choice for their team.

But yeah, loved the non-functional cockpits in Standoff, and they never bothered me in Xwing Alliance, even with the XWAUP 'pits which are significantly brighter and more obtrusive than retail. The mostly non-functional cockpits available for X3 TC feel great to me as well, I wouldn't bought that game if it wasn't for the awesome cockpit mods available for it.

So I'll be very pleased if some cockpits get modded into Saga functional RTT and HUD code or no. But I'm not going to do it myself and won't be holding my breath. Reading the Diaspora team's cockpit comments make them sound very work intensive, and they describe RTT as a system killer, which is why the DRADIS is the only HUD element they're rendering onto the cockpit texture at this point....

Still, how awesome would it be if some point in the far future WC Saga's gameplay intersects with its cinematics, with fully RTT'd MFD's and other WC HUD elements - The Hellcat and Longbow cockpits on display in the non-interactive portions are such a tease.

Back